Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  can we get to the moon before nasa?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: can we get to the moon before nasa?  (Read 4808 times)

Demon440

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
Re: can we get to the moon before nasa?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »

I believe the correct answer is yes. However the question is, how likely is this to happen. My guess is that it's unlikely that people will want to put humans on the moon enough to do it before a government will. But it would be cool. Perhaps we could shave the cost down by accepting more risk.

So I believe people can do this. The only way I see that this could be done is to generate a lot of money. This might be possible. Consider how much money people pour into professional and college foot ball.   

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »

THIS ...........................

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Csj7vMKy4EI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Csj7vMKy4EI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:47:21 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

fatcat

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »

warren buffet & bill gates could open an amusement park there

If the whole amusement park weighed less than 10-20 tons.

And they had billions more to keep it supplied with fuel and people.

the chances of multiple billionaires putting ALL their money into an unprofitable exploration mission is probably the least likely scenario for private moon colonization.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »

More than likely private space travel will reach Luna before the government for permanent human presence for two reasons: governments can't [economically] calculate and energy in space is cheap versus earthside. The fact is, as energy prices climb [at their floor prices], expect space based solar farms to become a practical reality, and Luna is at a good location to launch construction fleets for such farms in unobstructed orbits to fuel the growing planetary economy. All in all, I expect a permanent human presence no sooner than 2040/50 by private companies, government funded presences won't come until the 2060/70s.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

fatcat

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »

More than likely private space travel will reach Luna before the government for permanent human presence for two reasons: governments can't [economically] calculate and energy in space is cheap versus earthside. The fact is, as energy prices climb [at their floor prices], expect space based solar farms to become a practical reality, and Luna is at a good location to launch construction fleets for such farms in unobstructed orbits to fuel the growing planetary economy. All in all, I expect a permanent human presence no sooner than 2040/50 by private companies, government funded presences won't come until the 2060/70s.

WAT

Riddler

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »

warren buffet & bill gates could open an amusement park there

If the whole amusement park weighed less than 10-20 tons.

And they had billions more to keep it supplied with fuel and people.

the chances of multiple billionaires putting ALL their money into an unprofitable exploration mission is probably the least likely scenario for private moon colonization.

GOD WILL ENABLE MANKIND
just pray

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »

Someone else here has been reading Ben Bova...
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  can we get to the moon before nasa?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.