Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  can we get to the moon before nasa?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: can we get to the moon before nasa?  (Read 4830 times)

Demon440

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
can we get to the moon before nasa?
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »

Could it be possible for a non government related group or company beat nasa back to the moon? or beat any government back. Would that help show people that you don't need a government to do things?

Bill Brasky

Re: can we get to the moon before nasa?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

Pretty expensive endeavor for being pointless.  Theres nothing there.  So unless it was a tourism thing for the ultra-rich, there is no profit. 

And believe it or not, you may have to get permission from the US to do it.  I seem to recall theres some sort of treaty with a few other countries about usage of the moon. 

AOD_Horseman

• Yours Truly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:26:11 AM »

I imagine someone with the money could get to the moon, make a settlement, rent out and fill space, and live happily ever after before the government could.

Of course, then I also imagine the government revoking citizenships, and declaring everyone on the moon an "illegal alien" before funding the second moon bombing mission.

Heh. Illegal alien.
Bushi no ichi-gon

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

Yes.

http://ohmygov.com/blogs/general_news/archive/2009/10/28/mit-students-trump-nasa-with-150-satellite-launch.aspx

Some kids got to inner space for less than $200. I imagine that with a well build enough railgun you can bypass the need for all rocket fuel, and if you hedge against the google prize you can recoup most of the money spent on R&D.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Lothar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »

Could it be possible for a non government related group.. beat any government..

Yes.  As long as some aggressor doesn't stop them.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:27:10 AM »

Well, since NASA has called off the lunar mission, yes.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »

Screw the moon - NEO's are where the money's at!  They're close, easy to own, easy to move, and there's very little gravity to get in your way!  Easy to melt too - just attach thrusters, get it to spin really fast, and push it on a close orbit around the sun, and the layers just split all by themselves!  Then drill, plant the nukes, deploy magnetized nets, boom, and vacuum in the platinum dust (or whatever element) for parachuting down to Earth!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:18:44 AM by Alex Libman »

fatcat

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »

No.

It will only happen (a manned mission that is), if a billionaire decides to dump a huge chunk of his money into it, which is unlikely.

Getting into space and landing on the moon  (and getting back) are entirely different ball games.

The Apollo projects cost about 140 billion dollars in todays money. You're looking at at least $1bn for a small manned mission where they just go there, pick up rocks and go home.

There isn't a single person alive with enough money to do anything like a permanent moon base.

During the next 10 years fossil fuel shortage will push up energy costs to astronomical prices.

Without fusion or a space elevator, its not happening in the next 50 years unless a government does it.

My bets on China.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »

Well, since NASA has called off the lunar mission, yes.
This.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Riddler

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »

No.

It will only happen (a manned mission that is), if a billionaire decides to dump a huge chunk of his money into it, which is unlikely.

Getting into space and landing on the moon  (and getting back) are entirely different ball games.

The Apollo projects cost about 140 billion dollars in todays money. You're looking at at least $1bn for a small manned mission where they just go there, pick up rocks and go home.

There isn't a single person alive with enough money to do anything like a permanent moon base.

During the next 10 years fossil fuel shortage will push up energy costs to astronomical prices.

Without fusion or a space elevator, its not happening in the next 50 years unless a government does it.

My bets on China.

warren buffet & bill gates could open an amusement park there

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »

[...]  My bets on China.

China will do some great things before the middle of the century, but they will decline rapidly after that.  Their "one child policy" killed their potential as a major player in the second half of the 21st century.  Population is destiny.  Space colonization will most likely be done by the Muslims.

Riddler

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:13 PM »

[...]  My bets on China.

China will do some great things before the middle of the century, but they will decline rapidly after that.  Their "one child policy" killed their potential as a major player in the second half of the 21st century.  Population is destiny.  Space colonization will most likely be done by the Muslims.

stupid fuck.
if the chinee stopped having kids tomorrow...the motherfuckers could STILL colonize every fucking planet in our solar system & beyond X 10...
be chinks on fucking pluto sayin..." you want spring roll''?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »

[...]  My bets on China.

A lot of the reason they have a restriction on the number of children is because their population was exploding exponentially and they didn't have the infrastructure to handle the projected population growth. 

When you're looking into your all-seeing eye again, tell me next weeks lotto numbers. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »

I can only do basic population projections based on current and historical data - for free.  If you want me to predict the future, you will have to pay me, and sign a contract not to hold me liable if I'm wrong.  ;)

In the meantime, here are few 2050 population pyramids, first for China and then for some Islamic countries:

The aging Chinese will have all the natural resources they need to retire gracefully here on earth.

Now, can we go back to asteroid mining please?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  can we get to the moon before nasa?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.