Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Can I get a good book recommendation?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I get a good book recommendation?  (Read 1684 times)

inane

• View Profile
Can I get a good book recommendation?
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »

I'm looking to get into electronics. Anybody know any good self teaching sources for beginners?
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get a good book recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »

Hmmm... I sold my CEET text book, but it was pretty good I thought.  I learned everything I know about electronics from it in 10th grade.  I'm betting any decent CEET text book will help get you started.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:53:52 AM »

The beginner's  ham radio book, Now You're Talking, is a very good opening guide to electronics. It goes through all the electronic components, what they do, how they do it, and how they fit together.

You'll go, "Oh, NOW I see how all these transistors and diodes and resisters do their stuff!" 

You can find it at most electronics stores, or of course online. Radio Shack (which started out as a ham radio store but has now pretty much forgotten their roots) used to carry it, and some still do. Most libraries also have it.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »

I'm looking to get into electronics. Anybody know any good self teaching sources for beginners?

If I was honestly interested in getting involved in electronics, on the cheap, I would strike up a friendship with a hole-in-the-wall electronics repair shop.  Tell them your intentions, that you want to learn electronics.  Places that pawn televisions and stereos, owned by old men who will be lucky to have their shop survive another year.

I knew several over the years.  Admittedly, I never gave a fuck about the electronics part - and I regret it.  But those guys are wizards.  

The first guy, his name was Art, he owned a RadioShack franchise when the Tandy computers first came out.  Probly 1980 or so, if I have to guess.  I used to run for coffee for him.  I was too small to be taught anything significant, but looking back on it, he was looking for an apprentice, which is why he used to throw a dollar at me to go fetch a coffee.  He owned a store, for fucks sake, I'm sure there was a coffee pot in the back.  Eventually I lost interest.  He sold the franchise, opened a place called Artco, and went into CB stuff.  He fixed TV's and stuff.  Eventually he died, and his store really looked like a dogs breakfast at the end.  Shit everywhere.

Another guy, he was into the high-end stuff.  He had all sorts of Harmon Kardon tube receivers (I didn't even know they made shit in the "old days").  Toggle switches and needle meters on 'em.  I was visiting him one time, and asked what happens when a tube goes kaflooey.  He slides open this cabinet, and its just stacked with those paper boxes like light bulbs come in.  He says, theres thousands of people all over the world who would kill for this assortment of tubes, and slides the door shut.  He had things most people never heard of, again I had no appreciation of it - other than a general respect for delicate instruments, but you could tell it was quality shit.  He's dead now, too.  But he spoke the language, showed me how to build emergency batteries out of dead cordless phones.  

Moving along into the more modern years, there was an electronics tech I used to work with, Mike.  The guy knew everything there was to know about electronics.  A wizard in his own right, he could rip down anything electronic, fix it, and put it back in service.  He was into radio and phone circuitry.  The computer interface used to piss him off, because the two things do not perfectly jive.  Translating analogue into digital, it can be a pain in the balls I guess.  But electronics, the guy was gifted.  His bench left me mystified.

The point to this little sermon is, find a guru.  An older man who is bored and knows a lot of shit.  He will pour his knowledge into your open bucket of a head, at ten times the rate of book-learnin.  He will appreciate your desire to learn his craft.  And if you have to sweep up the store or run for coffee, so what?  You'll make a friend in the process, and will be mentored, and given the opportunity to gain some hands-on experience, even if it is just replacing some burnt TV boards or whatever.  

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Much appreciated.
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis

blackie

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:42:05 PM »

Electronics Pocket Handbook, 3rd Edition by Daniel L. Metzger

is a nice little reference book

NightFlight

• Beta 4
  • Who said we didn't win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »

The very best book I have ever read and used is "Learn Electronics Through Troubleshooting" by Wayne Lemons. I bought my edition in 1971 and I still refer to it. It was a Howard W. Sams publication sold through (back then) reputable electronic stores and Radio Shack. I must admit I haven't checked online to see if its still available.

Two other reference books I use, especially at work, are "Pocket Ref" 3rd edition, by Thomas J. Glover. I buy my copies online from Enco Tools, use-enco.com, and give them as Christmas presents to my co-workers. Also another very excellent reference is "Handyman In Your Pocket" by Richard A. Young and Thomas J. Glover.

Go to Amazon and search for electronic reference books and I guarantee you will find something suitable.
Welcome to the trade!
Barry
What we have here... is a failure to communicate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Can I get a good book recommendation?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 31 queries.