Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Called 911 for the 1st time
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Called 911 for the 1st time  (Read 4109 times)

davann

Called 911 for the 1st time
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:33:05 AM »

So, I broke my rule and called the police today. In fact, this was the first time I ever dialed 911. While driving to work I came to an intersection where the far left lane was not moving. Not all that strange as Vegas is only five miles from the sun in the summer and that tends to be hard on cars. As I passed the immobile car I glanced over and noticed the driver was slumped over. I called. It was just a quick glance and I was unable to stop and investigate further. He could have been passed out from booze or dead. I have no idea.

One two three

• View Profile
Re: Called 911 for the 1st time
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »

It wasn't an emergency.  You should have just called the cops.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »

You should have just called the cops.

So, your theory is the guy just needed a recharge and that a taser could have done the job?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

BonerJoe

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:21 AM »

So, your theory is the guy just needed a recharge and that a taser could have done the job?

LOL.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:14 AM »

Can you jump start a car with a taser?
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:22 AM »

Can you jump start a car with a taser?

No but you can light a guy on fire.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:05:35 AM »

So, I broke my rule and called the police today. In fact, this was the first time I ever dialed 911. While driving to work I came to an intersection where the far left lane was not moving. Not all that strange as Vegas is only five miles from the sun in the summer and that tends to be hard on cars. As I passed the immobile car I glanced over and noticed the driver was slumped over. I called. It was just a quick glance and I was unable to stop and investigate further. He could have been passed out from booze or dead. I have no idea.

Helping people in distress is supposed to be their job. Maybe you saved someone else from being charged with a victimless crime by diverting the highway patrol's attention away from its favorite pastime toward someone that actually needed help.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

davann

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »

Not sure if it was or not. It was a quick glance. 911 is never my first option. It could have been a stroke or heart attack.
I do feel kinda dirty.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »

Most places make you call 911 to get a cop dispatched even if you call the station first.

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:58:23 PM »

I've called it maybe 2 or 3 times.. the last time was when someone was walking on the interstate in the rain in a construction zone where there was no median (concrete barriers put up right on either side of the lane and this woman was trying to walk there!  I figured interstates are the gov't property, they should remove her before she gets killed.  The first time I called them was because a girlfriend in college was drunk and acting crazy and physically violent, and prevented me from leaving the parking lot, hanging on to my car, ripping off side view mirror etc.  I could have either a) run her over b) hit her or c) called cops.  I think b may have been the best option but people are so paranoid about a guy hitting a girl for any reason that I just called the cops.  I was completely calm and relaxed but 911 was rude to me on the phone, then the cops came and were totally on my side but told me some domestic violence law forces them to put me in a database, so I'm sure if an event ever comes up again my name will show up and being the male they will assume I was the perp and not the victim... I probably could have refused, what could they do?  But was young and didnt know.  I will never call them about a personal issue again.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »

I called 911 only once too. The dispatcher was also rude and they sent four cop cars when one would have sufficed because nobody was in any danger.  None of them could find the place even though it was incredible easy to find. They arrived way too late, accomplished absolutely nothing.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Disaster Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »

I called 911 recently too. I was attempting to assist a woman whose electric wheelchair had died on a steep hill and gotten her stuck. I couldn't get the thing to move, nor could the dozen other people who stopped to try and help. Those things are really heavy. I was in the process of contacting the hospital / home that the woman had come from when she, clearly starting to panic a little, directly asked me to call 911 for quick paramedic assistance. I was really hesitant to do it, but she'd specifically asked, and it was her phone (which her disability prevented her from using on her own), so I called for an ambulance. The dispatcher was a bit rude, and asked some stupid questions. One of the paramedics was kind of rude too, when they got there, but at least they figured out how to move her chair, and took responsiblity for (hopefully) getting her home safely.

I have, admittedly, called 911 a couple of times on really obviously dangerous drunk drivers I saw while at work (I drive a truck). I don't feel bad about those ... it's not the way I'd prefer to do it, but it's the only real option available to me, and those people needed to be off the road before they killed someone.
The only place to find freedom is in the dictionary, under "F".

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »

I only did it because I was trying to sleep and nobody else was gonna do anything.
In hindsight, I would not have called.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

Dont beat yourself up about it. This is something that society hasnt come up with a replacement for yet.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 11:46:32 PM »

You can make those decisions if its about you.

If its not about you, and you feel a responsibility to help - do the right thing.  Dial 911 and put your bullshit aside. 

--

If you were doing your thing, livin' life, and you blew a brain pipe...  Next thing you know, you're flat on your back and retarded as fuck and it feels like someone is kickin' you in the neck with hiking boots...  and through your one good eye, and the confusion of your complicated experience, people were walking past you and not calling anyone... 

...as the fog closed in, and people stood over you, looking down into the fishbowl world of your rapidly diminishing existence...  I think you'd probably attempt to say "call 911, you asshole!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Called 911 for the 1st time

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 31 queries.