Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver  (Read 27117 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

Due to the pistol grip on the parts kit I would also need to buy a bullet button like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141809436 to keep it CA legal.

LOL, what's the fuckin' point then?
Have you seen this in action?  They're just as easy to operate as a lever, you just poke a bullet tip in the hole and the mag drops out.

My point still stands. It is practically useless as an assault weapon.
Eh, when the SHTF the bullet button can go because at that point it won't matter anymore what the law says.  But until then, the BB isn't a significant hindrance.

Besides, it's NOT an assault weapon.  That's the whole point.  Assault weapons are illegal in CA unless they were registered when the ban went into effect.  Besides "assault weapon" in CA is a bullshit legal term we prefer to avoid using.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:28:52 PM by Admiral Naismith »
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BonerJoe

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

Well, if you expect the shit to hit the fan, then why bother with legalities?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »

Well, if you expect the shit to hit the fan, then why bother with legalities?
Because I don't want to go to jail.

Seems like an obvious one there...
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »

So John, understanding that there is no legal ambiguity in attempting this build (unlike nutter NHAT's retard shotgun out of pipe), what do you think of it?  If you have any experience would you say finishing one of these receiver flats is a worthwhile endeavor?

I guess if you have a machine shop and the knowledge, it may be worth it.

I don't need any more AK style guns, because I bought *Several* when they were still cheap, and posted relentlessly about it and was mostly ignored.

But hindsight is 20/20 of course.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »

So John, understanding that there is no legal ambiguity in attempting this build (unlike nutter NHAT's retard shotgun out of pipe), what do you think of it?  If you have any experience would you say finishing one of these receiver flats is a worthwhile endeavor?

I guess if you have a machine shop and the knowledge, it may be worth it.

I don't need any more AK style guns, because I bought *Several* when they were still cheap, and posted relentlessly about it and was mostly ignored.

But hindsight is 20/20 of course.
I didn't have the money then :(  (Maybe you wanna fit me a bullet button and send one my way?) :D

Now I do, so I am considering doing it very strongly.  There's a build party in my area organized on calguns.net (our CA gun rights group who is currently kicking ass for us with lawsuits against the state to overturn gun control laws and are so far being somewhat successful) and there will be all of the tools there needed to get it done.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:54:46 PM by Admiral Naismith »

BonerJoe

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »

Because I don't want to go to jail.

Then buy a Cal-legal AK from a dealer :D

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »

The ineffectiveness of government negates the question of whether to register a gun.
Back when I got wind of the ban coming here in CA. I told my friends and we ALL went out and bought at least 1 lower receiver(AR). Some guys bought 2 or 3. Same to a lesser extent when the 50 cal ban came. The guys that could afford it, pooled their money and bought 2.
When the registration came along, some registered and some didn't. I went down the the Van Nuys PD office to get the form. They had no idea what I was talking about. I went over to the North Hollywood PD office and they had the form but didn't know what to do with it.
I asked how they'd know if I registered the weapon or not? They would have to call Sacramento and have someone look it up by hand in a paper file system. Pretty unlikely.
I got pulled over for speeding once while I had 3 rifles in the truck bed. The cop asked me what they were and if they were registered. I told him what they were but didn't say if they were registered. I think he was just curious. He didn't ask to see them.
Liberate America!

blackie

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »

AK part kits are pretty expensive now. You could pick them up for around $100 a few years ago.

BonerJoe

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:29 PM »

AK part kits are pretty expensive now. You could pick them up for around $100 a few years ago.

They went up because they banned the barrels from being imported.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »

The ineffectiveness of government negates the question of whether to register a gun.
Back when I got wind of the ban coming here in CA. I told my friends and we ALL went out and bought at least 1 lower receiver(AR). Some guys bought 2 or 3. Same to a lesser extent when the 50 cal ban came. The guys that could afford it, pooled their money and bought 2.
When the registration came along, some registered and some didn't. I went down the the Van Nuys PD office to get the form. They had no idea what I was talking about. I went over to the North Hollywood PD office and they had the form but didn't know what to do with it.
I asked how they'd know if I registered the weapon or not? They would have to call Sacramento and have someone look it up by hand in a paper file system. Pretty unlikely.
I got pulled over for speeding once while I had 3 rifles in the truck bed. The cop asked me what they were and if they were registered. I told him what they were but didn't say if they were registered. I think he was just curious. He didn't ask to see them.
You got a good story there.  I've heard some horror stories about grandpa getting arrested and spending the rest of his life in prison because he never registered his several "assault weapons".  Especially in North Hollywood.  LA Sheriff is all about screwing over gun owners.

I think you're right that they are so inefficient that it helps those who don't register their old pre-ban guns, but when they get you they get you really hard.  I guess that's why I'm interested in the 80% receivers, so I can skirt the whole registration nonsense completely and legally.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.