Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver  (Read 27114 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »

I'm considering building my own AK from an 80% receiver.  It's about 40 bucks for a receiver that's got all of the holes drilled and just needs to be bent and welded and finished.  I'm kind of feeling uneasy about doing the welding myself (even though I'd have an excellent teacher) and making sure the receiver is bent perfectly.

Anyone have any experience with this?

The benefits are that you get to build your own rifle pretty much from the ground up and make it completely yours in every way.  And you don't have to register it or file DROS papers or deal with any FFL nonsense unless you plan on selling it (and then you'll need a firearms manufacturer license in most cases).  Only real drawback is finishing the receiver.

It sounds like a really awesome project that I'd love to do.  But I still have reservations.  

I'll probably go for the AK if I do the 80% complete because it seems like its A LOT easier to finish than the AR lowers because you can get them with everything pre-drilled and not have to tap anything (I HATE tapping) or precision locate any drill points or do any milling (I don't have access to a mill).

What do you guys all think?

For AR lowers http://www.ktordnance.com has great stuff and they deal in silver and gold.

For AK (and other) lowers http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9839 has a good list of a variety of resources.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:07:31 PM by Admiral Naismith »
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:01:46 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »

I understand your concern and I appreciate it, but this is completely legal and there is no question of getting busted by BATFE or in my case CalDOJ for doing anything illegal with this unless you're selling them without serial numbers and without a license.  I have no intention on messing with those guys.  I know they're in charge, and I'm not going to break any gun laws and risk losing my right to own and go to jail for a decade.

Oh yeah, and you have to make sure the rifle you build conforms to your state gun control standards.  Mine would need a bullet button (fixed mags) and a fixed stock or a non-pistol grip/thumbhole stock for use with detachable mags.

You can buy these 80% complete AK receiver flats from tapco.com for god's sake!  The folks at ktordnance.com fought the ATF over this and the case law is now firmly decided.  Notice ktordnance is still up for business.

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that you MUST FINISH THE BUILD from the 80% receiver YOURSELF.  Nobody can do it for you because then that would be illegal.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:15:58 PM by Admiral Naismith »
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »

It's legal to make your own AK? That fuckin awesome!

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=18150.0

I'm just sayin' is all.

So John, understanding that there is no legal ambiguity in attempting this build (unlike nutter NHAT's retard shotgun out of pipe), what do you think of it?  If you have any experience would you say finishing one of these receiver flats is a worthwhile endeavor?

BonerJoe

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »

The only real reason to do it is if you expect the government to come and take your guns one day. In California, you can't sell a gun privately without going through a dealer, so there really is no way to get a gun legally there without being on a list.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »

Yes but there are restrictions on it.  You pretty much CANNOT sell it.  YOU personally have to be the person who finishes the receiver.  You MUST follow all state and federal laws.  It cannot be a banned or regulated firearm type.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

The only real reason to do it is if you expect the government to come and take your guns one day. In California, you can't sell a gun privately without going through a dealer, so there really is no way to get a gun legally there without being on a list.
Well you can, but only if its 50+ years old or black powder.

Have you done this?  If so, how was your experience completing the receiver?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:13:58 PM by Admiral Naismith »

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

Yes but there are restrictions on it.  You pretty much CANNOT sell it.  YOU personally have to be the person who finishes the receiver.  You MUST follow all state and federal laws.  It cannot be a banned or regulated firearm type.

Except for having to follow a bunch of restrictions that sounds like a cool project. I never even considered they'd have kits like that.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »

Except for having to follow a bunch of restrictions that sounds like a cool project. I never even considered they'd have kits like that.
Yea it is pretty cool.  Only restrictions are CA gun laws pretty much in our case.

I'm looking at this parts kit which would ship to my door: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct807.aspx

And then I've been checking out a variety of receiver flats, but I am liking the one from tapco http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=AK0665 which would ship to my door as well.

The alternative would be for me to spend 50-150 bucks on a finished receiver which I would then have to DROS and pay a 25 dollar fee to the state and negotiate a dealer transfer.

Due to the pistol grip on the parts kit I would also need to buy a bullet button like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141809436 to keep it CA legal.

BonerJoe

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »

The 50+ years old thing is only for "curio and relic" firearms as defined by the Feds. And ONLY for rifles and shotguns. No C&R handguns.
You could, for example, buy and sell a Russian SKS or a Mosin Nagant or a M1 Garand without a dealer. Your grandpa's 30-30 would have to go through a dealer.

Have you done this?

No, because it's cheaper and easier to buy an assembled gun than to spend hundreds of dollars purchasing the required equipment to bend flats, drill holes, and to rivet them together. If you want to assemble your own gun, you can buy a registered receiver for $60:

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »

Due to the pistol grip on the parts kit I would also need to buy a bullet button like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141809436 to keep it CA legal.

LOL, what's the fuckin' point then?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »

The 50+ years old thing is only for "curio and relic" firearms as defined by the Feds. And ONLY for rifles and shotguns. No C&R handguns.
You could, for example, buy and sell a Russian SKS or a Mosin Nagant or a M1 Garand without a dealer. Your grandpa's 30-30 would have to go through a dealer.

Have you done this?

No, because it's cheaper and easier to buy an assembled gun than to spend hundreds of dollars purchasing the required equipment to bend flats, drill holes, and to rivet them together. If you want to assemble your own gun, you can buy a registered receiver for $60:

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Yeah, in CA there is a special rule for 50+ years and another for 1899 and prior.  C&R handguns must be registered within 5 days of purchase here.  I've also been looking at finished receivers, but I kind of like the idea of finishing my own (I have a friend with all of the specialty tools required to finish it) and the price is like 100 buck difference after DROS plus BS dealer fees, because CA dealers seem to hate doing out of state transfers and rape you for it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:25:57 PM by Admiral Naismith »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »

Have you seen this in action?  They're just as easy to operate as a lever, you just poke a bullet tip in the hole and the mag drops out.

BonerJoe

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

Have you seen this in action?  They're just as easy to operate as a lever, you just poke a bullet tip in the hole and the mag drops out.

My point still stands. It is practically useless as an assault weapon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Build Your Own AK/AR From 80% Receiver

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.