Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boycott Amazon?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boycott Amazon?  (Read 7147 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Boycott Amazon?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »

If I used Amazon, I wouldn't boycott them for their choice of applying their TOS as they see fit, in order to remain solvent and profitable.  Any product or information that is inflammatory or controversial falls under their right to deny hosting.  If they decided to host the data in spite of a government "request", they would have to expend vast sums of legal resources and manpower when the shitstorm hits, and that is an unprofitable situation.  They are in the business of making money.  Not losing money. 

The Wikileaks guy has other avenues to pursue in order to keep his data online.  He has no right to expect Amazon to take a bullet for him.  What has he offered to contribute towards their troubles?  A $4.95 processing fee?  Fuck him. 

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »

The douchebags at paypal just pulled their account for "illegal behaviour".

If you want a really evil corporation look at those guys. They pull your account for nothing and dont give your money back.

To think it was started by a libertarian.  :lol:
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:58:02 AM »

If you want a really evil corporation look at those guys. They pull your account for nothing and dont give your money back.

To think it was started by a libertarian.  :lol:

Yeah, I've heard bits and pieces of the story, and also heard first-hand about them closing accounts and keeping the money.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how they get away with that.  They did that to me, I'd (probably quite literally) be driving to California with a .45 and several full magazines to convince them just how wrong they are.

As for the libertarian bit--he saw the writing on the wall and cashed out.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »

To think it was started by a libertarian.  :lol:

Yeah, I've heard bits and pieces of the story, and also heard first-hand about them closing accounts and keeping the money.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how they get away with that.  They did that to me, I'd (probably quite literally) be driving to California with a .45 and several full magazines to convince them just how wrong they are.

As for the libertarian bit--he saw the writing on the wall and cashed out.

Well Ive been involved with the bitcoin community for awhile and I can tell you lots of stories about paypal shutting accounts. They closed one account of a bitcoin exchanger and he had to cover $5000 dollars that they havent yet given back.

If you are a merchant a customer has 180 days to chargeback their purchase. They dont listen to anything you say to them as a merchant.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »

When shipping USPS, I use Delivery Confirmation as a mandatory requirement in the hopes that it proves a defense if a customer claims I never sent them anything and tries a PayPal chargeback. I've heard that's one of the few forms of evidence they will recognize. Have not had any actual incident in order to test the theory, but I wouldn't put it past them to reject a merchant claim with all the stories I've heard.

As applies to boycotts... when the NAP cannot be followed strictly, minimizing harm is the logical alternative. I am more likely to consider alternative merchants to Amazon in light of the recent events, and more urgently seek a viable competitor to PayPal for online payment.
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »

When shipping USPS, I use Delivery Confirmation as a mandatory requirement in the hopes that it proves a defense if a customer claims I never sent them anything and tries a PayPal chargeback. I've heard that's one of the few forms of evidence they will recognize. Have not had any actual incident in order to test the theory, but I wouldn't put it past them to reject a merchant claim with all the stories I've heard.

As applies to boycotts... when the NAP cannot be followed strictly, minimizing harm is the logical alternative. I am more likely to consider alternative merchants to Amazon in light of the recent events, and more urgently seek a viable competitor to PayPal for online payment.

http://mybitcoin.com  has a merchant api just like paypal. You could let people pay a percentage in bitcoins just to dip your feet in the water.

yamnuska

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 02:55:46 AM »

The Paypal thing really ticks me off, especially if they don't give the money people have donated, just who the hell do they think they are? Pricks. Makes me want to take out six figures and start a competitive service, to bad I don't know shit about it.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 03:06:30 AM »

The bankers really don't want anyone crashing their party.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »

Thank you, Terror Australis. I'll go through this with my brother and see what sort of customer interest there is.
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boycott Amazon?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.