Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boycott Amazon?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Boycott Amazon?  (Read 7137 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Boycott Amazon?
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »

For the Wikileaks deal..

Amazon is facing a backlash from its customers after kicking whistleblowing website WikiLeaks off its servers.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/849114-amazon-faces-boycott-over-wikileaks-axe

I will. I'm wondering if FTL will boycott Amazon as well..
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Boycott Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »

On one hand amazon brings in FTL revenue.

On the other hand, its fucking Wikileaks! That stands for something big, it dwarfs even FTL.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »

No. Its their property to use as they see fit. You're best off just giving money to wikileaks.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

Amazon = pussies

Its not even like they were ordered to do it either. They were just asked to and went "Um, ok  sure"

Fags
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Bizurke

• whitty title goes here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:07:59 AM »

From what I've read wikileaks moved the data to Amazon because they were under constant DDoS and other attacks from "unknown sources". I'm wondering if the first idea to shut down the hosting was from a security aspect, which kindled (no pun intended) Amazon to go along with what the Government was telling them to do.

It sounds a lot better (to the masses) from a business standpoint to say that you are taking a server down for legal, patriotic, etc, reasons than it does to take a site down because it is a security risk to one of the largest data holders in the entire world.

I'm sure it's just them following what they were "asked" to do, but there could be other factors here.

yamnuska

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:12:38 AM »

I spend more than $4000 a year at Amazon, I find it very useful, I won't be boycotting it. If I boycotted every business that rolled over for the government I'd have no place to shop.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »

I won't be boycotting.  They may have been threatened or attacked, and they're just trying to make money.  They are not an activist organization and they haven't done anything wrong.

blackie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »

Amazon = pussies

Its not even like they were ordered to do it either. They were just asked to and went "Um, ok  sure"
Wikileaks is stupid for trying to host classified US info with a US based provider.

Executive Order 13526, Section 1.1(4)(c) states “Classified Information shall not be declassified automatically as a result of any unauthorized disclosure of identical or similar information.”

Amazon would be stupid if they didn't pull the site.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:46:12 PM »

They are not an activist organization

That swayed me.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:44 PM »

Amazon.freetalklive.com is how Mark and Ian make quite a bit of their money.  I'll continue to feed Mark's child.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »

Oh, I'm not gonna boycot them, but still I feel they need to be given some shit over it.

In the future when I place an order with them, I'll make sure I do it on the phone, so when its time to hang up, I'll end the call with "ok, thanks alot........... pussies"
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »

Amazon.freetalklive.com is how Mark and Ian make quite a bit of their money.  I'll continue to feed Mark's child.

Yes, this too.

Oh, I'm not gonna boycot them, but still I feel they need to be given some shit over it.

And that too a little bit. Or maybe not.. I think I've just flip flopped on this.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:54 AM »

Amazon = pussies

Wikileaks is stupid for trying to host classified US info with a US based provider.

Executive Order 13526, Section 1.1(4)(c) states “Classified Information shall not be declassified automatically as a result of any unauthorized disclosure of identical or similar information.”

Amazon would be stupid if they didn't pull the site.

Constitutionally, executive orders apply to internal operations of the presidency and not to anything the president would like to decree as if it were law. When the government threatens your operations and you have a lot to lose, most companies will buckle, whether or not they know the action to be constitutionally legal.

The government will pretend it is justified in whatever it does. On several levels it does this and for every one of these justifications, there are at least half a dozen points against it.

People who stumble into 'state secrets' without directly looking for them wouldn't know for sure whether any such material OR activities have subsequently been 'de-classified', assuming they have any idea at all. There is no virtue present in the function and justification of 'state secrets' unless one buys into the idea that this government is creating value along the justifications for its existence, which it is not. In other words, it's a bullshit argument.
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

Don't worry about it.

It's easy to bust someone's (Or some company's) balls for not standing up to the state, but you know, they're in business to sell or make what they sell or make. They already have to jump through millions of hoops with the gooberment just to have a company in the first place. They have stockholders and employees and customers.

You can't just give up everything you have because of an issue like this. This isn't the right hill to plant your flag and die on.

I have a multi billion dollar company.

I am supporting a free service that does controversial things and exists on donations or whatever.

Multi billion dollars. Free shit that pisses powerful people off.

No brainer.

Wikileaks is awesome, but their new home is prolly better for them anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:46:46 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »

I can't blame them for being the government's bitch--that makes them like...every other corporation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boycott Amazon?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.