Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bored and stuck in school-Help!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bored and stuck in school-Help!  (Read 15346 times)

drewflax

Re: Bored and stuck in school-Help!
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »

Spuds, you are a cool dad. You and Kat seem to have a very open and honest relationship. I hope my daughters turn out like Kat. :)

BTW - Love the ferret adoption site.

Spuds

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »

First off, Dad (aka Spuds)
Hey, you outed me...oh well - I'll still love you anyways!   :wink:
Whoa, you are one cool father. I just 'Applauded' you a Kerma point ;)

Thank you!

I'm just doing my best to raise my children as free-thinking free-spirited people.  Only problem is, as a parent, free-thinking children are hard to control!  I guess it's true that you get what you ask for!

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 01:18:40 AM »

"Controlling" children doesn't seem to produce good results.  Seems like you made some good choices, Spuds.

In regards to "family homeland", I have no allegiance to my family.  My primary goal is my happiness, and that means I seek maximum Liberty.  If my family doesn't get it, too bad for them.

What is more important, family or Liberty?  Simple choice for me.  I don't despise them or anything, they just have zero bearing or influence on my life decisions.

For some, family bonds are very important.  I respect that, but don't understand it.  Family is a group of strangers you are introduced to from birth.  Some are good people, some aren't. 
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

ladyattis

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 11:26:22 AM »

My dad tried to control me and I became a bisexual tranny faerie. ^___^ Yay for queerness due to parenting, or atleast that is what the Christians say.

-- Bridget

Spuds

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »

"Controlling" children doesn't seem to produce good results.  Seems like you made some good choices, Spuds.

I knew "control" was not the word I wanted to use, but at the time, it was the only thing came to mind.  I was trying to lean more toward "guide" or "manage"...something other than being a dictator with strict control on what is said and/or done.  Kind of a laissez-faire type of parenting.

In regards to "family homeland", I have no allegiance to my family.  My primary goal is my happiness, and that means I seek maximum Liberty.  If my family doesn't get it, too bad for them.

By family homeland, I was referring to our farm land here in Michigan that has been handed down from generation to generation to generation.  It's just something that would be very hard for me to walk away from and leave behind.  Yea, I know, stupid tradition.  I really have no family here other than my wife and children, so its not family ties I was aiming for, although I do understand your statement.  It's my land until I die and pass it on to my children (or until the government decides they want it!)  I any case, I own it, I do what I want on it, and to hell with anybody who does not like what I do on it!

What is more important, family or Liberty?  Simple choice for me.  I don't despise them or anything, they just have zero bearing or influence on my life decisions.

For some, family bonds are very important.  I respect that, but don't understand it.  Family is a group of strangers you are introduced to from birth.  Some are good people, some aren't. 

Good question!  I'd have to say they are both equally important!  Your family (or people who raised you to adulthood) were the ones who helped to mold you into the person you are today.  Be it good or bad.  Of course, the children on the playground, other adults in your neighborhood, the sexual predator next door and the drug dealer across the street all had a part in making you who & what you are, although not as much as your parents.  They may have zero influence on your life now, but without the teachings of their morality and of what was (their) right or wrong while you were developing your persona, you wouldn't be thinking the way you are thinking now...hell, you could have turned out to be a Manwich...not that that is a bad thing Manwich!!!  I'm just trying to make the point that we are all a product of our environment to some extent.  With Liberty alone, I could be happy!  With Liberty and the love of my family (along with their love of their Liberty), I could be even happier!

My dad tried to control me and I became a bisexual tranny faerie. ^___^ Yay for queerness due to parenting, or atleast that is what the Christians say.

-- Bridget

Cool!!!!  As long as you're happy, I'm happy!!  Do whatever you want as long as is does not involve me!!  No offense intended, but I'd always heard the argument of "alternative sexuality" being something you were born with and not something you had learned or had any control over.  Or is that just more Christian propaganda?  Those darn Christians are just not happy unless they are persecuting someone for something or blaming others for their problems.  Yea, I'm with Ian on this one - Atheist all the way!

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »

Yea, I'm with Ian on this one - Atheist all the way!

Ditto.
it's probably a bit offtopic, but I've started posting on The Brights bulletin board.
The Brights are Atheists, and I figure a lot of people there would be the perfect demographic for FTL and the Free State Project.

"Mom and Dad... I've come out of the closet. I'm a Bright!"

bonerjoe

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 12:56:56 AM »

Why do I want to commit suicide in fear of hoplessness when i read d_goddard's posts?

Skooma

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 02:50:12 AM »

First off, Dad (aka Spuds)

Hey, you outed me...oh well - I'll still love you anyways!   :wink:

Awww.

Mine thinks I'm insane and radical and intend to commit mass murder at my school despite having no enemies to speak of.  :?

I don't want no M-14! I just want my teenage queen!

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 09:07:11 AM »

Why do I want to commit suicide in fear of hoplessness when i read d_goddard's posts?

Thank you, BJ.
I sometimes fear I post too much on this site;
now I know I need to post way, way more, because some real good may yet come of it :twisted:

atheistshawn

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »

High School is pretty rough if your intelligent.  I remember hating it, not wanting to conform or believe all the lies.  It's tough but hang in get good grades and get out.  Don't waste any time trying to teach the teachers, most of them have thier heads too far up thier ass to stop and listen.  They feel like your just kid and have nothing to say, but they are wrong, so thier loss.  Come to college in NH and fight the good fight, but don't come to Plymouth State University.  That's where I go so school and it's worse than high school.  A bunch of liberal knuckleheads crying to mommy government for protection.  They don't want to be offended and so on, and you can actaully get suspended for saying fag if someone complains.  All I hear all day is "they should outlaw that, outlaw this, out law out law and so on.  It could be a problem with all schools who knows.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2006, 05:51:06 PM »

High School is pretty rough if your intelligent.  I remember hating it [...] Come to college in NH and fight the good fight

From one atheist to another... A-men, brother!

As far as Plymouth ...don't complain, either switch schools, or start up a Libertarian chapter where you are!!
Hell, there are activist Libertarians, even in ultra-left San Francisco (see my blog for details).

If 90% of your school are statists, then 10% are NOT, and you should band together NOW!
To get started, how about just organizing Saturday night listenings of FTL? Maybe even hang out with some beers and play the FTL Drinking Game

lepidoptera

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »

High School is pretty rough if your intelligent.  I remember hating it [...] Come to college in NH and fight the good fight

But all the best schools are in New York, Massachusetts, and California.

Why is that, anyway?

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2006, 05:18:13 PM »

Ahem... I got my degrees in Computer Science and Chemical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Madison is one of the top-ranked schools in both.
Not trying to toot my own horn, just making the point that the "best" schools are not only in the places you listed.

Why is that, anyway?
Population density.

TN_FSP

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »

Why is that, anyway?

MA is known as the place to go to college.  For example, you could live in NH, drive 1 mile over the board and go to the U of MA.

drewflax

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2006, 05:30:27 PM »

Ahem... I got my degrees in Computer Science and Chemical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Madison is one of the top-ranked schools in both.
Not trying to toot my own horn, just making the point that the "best" schools are not only in the places you listed.

And they party wayyyyyy hard in Mad-town.

Don't forget Northwestern U. here in Evanston. And the U. of Chicago. Those are two of the finest schools in the nation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bored and stuck in school-Help!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.