Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bored and stuck in school-Help!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bored and stuck in school-Help!  (Read 15331 times)

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: Bored and stuck in school-Help!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »

Katriina,

Why college?

cheer practice

FTL has invaded the cheerleader squad!   :lol:  What do the other girls think of your political opinions?

Oh and in case anyone missed it, here's our "Cheeleader" :60 promo.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

fourthgeek

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 03:41:18 AM »

I have the same problems you do Kat. I've been suspended for getting a little too vocal with my ideas, even. >> I'm graduating this year, though, so at least I will be out of high school and into the slightly-less-mindrape college.

I know that quite a few of you suggest not going to college, but I've still not heard anything that would encourage me not to attend. Hopefully with all the AP tests that I have passed, I will start as a sophomore. If I rush I might be able to get a 4 year degree in two years, with all the experience I have already.

Sounds like a good topic for FTL: why you don't need college! *calls roll in*

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

I've still not heard anything that would encourage me not to attend.

Don't let anybody talk you out of college. If it's not for you, you'll know soon enough. On the other hand, if you leave off your formal education and enter the Real World, and later want a degree, it will be a hell of a lot harder to go back to the no-money, fake-work environment. (Yes, "fake-work". No term project is ever as real as a product you sell to paying customers!)

What I would strongly suggest, though, is that you consider attending a college in New Hampshire:
http://freestateproject.org/community/nh_info.php#schools

If I rush I might be able to get a 4 year degree in two years, with all the experience I have already.
Sounds like a good topic for FTL: why you don't need college! *calls roll in*

fourthgeek, I know you are a computers & software guy.
I will say that I am a manager for a large software company, and I never, never hire people with PhD's from Ivy-league schools. In my experience, they are 100% useless, having only theoretical knowledge. In contrast, some of the most productive developers I have ever hired had a 2-year tech-school certificate, and taught themselves how to code.

The Ph.D's invariable tell me how something cannot be done -- while the ex-auto mechanic is coding up something that may be pretty dirty, but gets the job done.

Then again, I'm not exactly the "typical" hiring manager. Your Mileage Will Vary. :)

fourthgeek

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 07:07:11 PM »

I've considered college in NH, but it seems like I could do more for liberty by recruiting people outside of NH.

Right?

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 07:29:11 PM »

it seems like I could do more for liberty by recruiting people outside of NH.

Good point! College campuses are full of idealistic people with time on their hands.
Be sure to check for the college's LP chapter, and/or if there's an Objectivist group there.

fourthgeek

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

The college I'm most interested in, University of Advancing Technology, has no political clubs, no philosophical clubs, pretty much just video game and computer related clubs. Kind of disappointing, but possibly an opportunity to capture the entire campus. I dunno.

Skooma

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 11:32:34 PM »

1. Allow me to craft you into a warrior the likes of which the world has never seen.
2. Allow me to take you a modestly priced eating establishment and some form of entertainment afterwards...

Im almost sure there is something about unleashing you upon the world and creating a new Libertarian order...

fourthgeek

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »

:shock:

kay.

Spuds

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »

I'm stuck in a town full of ignorant people!

Hey KitKat7, your whole town can't be ignorant.  Remember, you are product of your surroundings which includes the thoughts, actions and teachings of your parents, brothers & sisters, whom are residents of this town.

First off, my dad would never leave his family land.

You are probably correct on this point.  Family homeland can be a large hurdle.

I would love attending college in NH and that is a great idea, but i get 75% off my tuition if i attend Wester Michigan University...so i guess, that is a tough choice to make, personally i'd much rather live in NH and always be strapped for cash knowing i'm supporting something that will make a difference rather than stuck here for the rest of my college years.

I believe college would be a waste of money, time & energy.  The only time I would even begin to consider college is if my chosen profession required a "license" and a degree was needed to get it.  The time you would waste in college could be better used in an apprenticeship program or hands on technical school instead of sitting in a chair listening to and learning useless lecture and conjecture.  Unless of course you want to be a politician, then you can use all of the useless lecture and conjecture you can find!

I can tell by your opinions and thoughts expressed in this forum that you are certainly a well rounded, free thinking individual.  I'm certain your parents are proud of you and are obviously excellent people to have created such a person as yourself.

Instead of thinking of how bored you are in school, take heart in the fact that in a short time, you will be able to leave school and spend time with your friends and family.  For they are the ones upon which you draw your personality and traits.  In fact, I would suggest that when you get home from school, and read this post, that you get up and give your parents a  :) hug :) and thank them for making you the person you are today!  Without them, you may have turned into one of the sheeple in the large flock of US Citizens.   :D

KitKat7

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 09:12:08 PM »

First off, Dad (aka Spuds) sometimes you scare me. You know its because of you that i'm this way! Secondly, for what i plan to do with my life i do need a degree. What does the rest of the squad think of my political opinions? They think i'm insane and that i have a bad case of OCD. As for the cheeleader clip Ian, we don't "shake" anything, and infact we wear bodysuits, shells, and skirts that go to our mid-thigh. Has this dufuss even seen a compatition or is he just going on rumor? I mean we work harder than some of the teams we cheer for, during competative season that is. It really irks me when people say cheerleading isn't a sport and that its all about looks. Trust me, it ain't, for that matter we can't even have long nails or wear our hair down in uniform. Oh and BTW, if you want to see a sport about looks check out what the volleyball players wear (no offence to n e one, i used to play) they wear spandex that rides increadably high and all i can think is *hey nice buttcheeks*  As for college, i dunno what i'm gonna do.....
*Does a standing backhandspring* I love FTL!   

fourthgeek

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 10:47:01 PM »

Oh and BTW, if you want to see a sport about looks check out what the volleyball players wear (no offence to n e one, i used to play) they wear spandex that rides increadably high and all i can think is *hey nice buttcheeks*

Pics plz? :lol:

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 05:07:37 AM »

I believe college would be a waste of money, time & energy.  The only time I would even begin to consider college is if my chosen profession required a "license" and a degree was needed to get it.  The time you would waste in college could be better used in an apprenticeship program or hands on technical school instead of sitting in a chair listening to and learning useless lecture and conjecture.  Unless of course you want to be a politician, then you can use all of the useless lecture and conjecture you can find!

Without them, you may have turned into one of the sheeple in the large flock of US Citizens.   :D

Hear, Hear, most college degrees are a total useless expense and the only real reason to go is to get into a profession.

bonerjoe

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 05:18:45 AM »

IMHO, those that think they need to go to college to live a happy life don't deserve to go.

Spuds

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »

First off, Dad (aka Spuds)

Hey, you outed me...oh well - I'll still love you anyways!   :wink:

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 03:15:58 PM »

First off, Dad (aka Spuds)
Hey, you outed me...oh well - I'll still love you anyways!   :wink:

Whoa, you are one cool father. I just 'Applauded' you a Kerma point ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bored and stuck in school-Help!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.