Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boner Joe Owes Me Money
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Boner Joe Owes Me Money  (Read 35675 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Boner Joe Owes Me Money
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

http://macgui.com/usenet/?group=2&start=2314&id=12369

Well, he went to jail for theft once.

No, I never went to jail. But I was charged with Scheme to Defraud (a felony), was on probation for 3 years, and paid restitution.

It wouldn't be fair to call this theft, as I intend to repay every cent. I am just on default on the terms.

My mistake then.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

I intend to repay every cent. I am just on default on the terms.

If I were the creditor, this would be a most welcome thing to hear.

It seems to me, a good creditor would want to work with the debtor to find mutually agreeable terms. Perhaps a reasonable long-term interest rate and, possibly, an understanding with any employer(s) and/or landlord(s) the debtor may have. At least that way the creditor gets a little pocket money on a continuing basis.

I've lent money before. A short-term bridging loan to a casual friend, independent businessperson, and sometime small-jobs worker-around-the-house. And had that loan go unpaid. And gotten Radio Silence from the debtor. And taken the trouble to file with the court, take it before a judge, and get a Judgement.

And then have the debtor file for bankruptcy. There's not much to scavenge. Look at what NH says are protected from default:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lii/511/511-mrg.htm
    511:2 Exemptions. – The following goods and property are exempted from attachment and execution:
    I. The wearing apparel necessary for the use of the debtor and the debtor's family.
    II. Comfortable beds, bedsteads and bedding necessary for the debtor, the debtor's spouse and children.
    III. Household furniture to the value of $3,500.
    IV. One cook stove, one heating stove and one refrigerator and necessary utensils belonging to the same.
    V. One sewing machine, kept for use by the debtor or the debtor's family.
    VI. Provisions and fuel to the value of $400.
    VII. The uniform, arms and equipments of every officer and private in the militia.
    VIII. The Bibles, school books and library of any debtor, used by the debtor or the debtor's family, to the value of $800.
    IX. Tools of the debtor's occupation to the value of $5,000.
    X. One hog and one pig, and the pork of the same when slaughtered.
    XI. Six sheep and the fleeces of the same.
    XII. One cow; a yoke of oxen or a horse, when required for farming or teaming purposes or other actual use; and hay not exceeding 4 tons.
    XIII. Domestic fowls not exceeding $300 in value.

XIV. The debtor's interest in one pew in any meetinghouse in which the debtor or the debtor's family usually worship.
    XV. The debtor's interest in one lot or right of burial in any cemetery.
    XVI. One automobile to the value of $4,000.
    XVII. Jewelry owned by the debtor or the debtor's family to the value of $500.
    XVIII. The debtor's interest in any property, not to exceed $1,000 in value, plus up to $7,000 of any unused amount of the exemptions provided under paragraphs III, VI, VIII, IX, XVI, and XVII of this section.
    XIX. Subject to the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act, RSA 545-A, any interest in a retirement plan

Coconut

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

I intend to repay every cent. I am just on default on the terms.

If I were the creditor, this would be a most welcome thing to hear.

Of course it's nice to hear, and yes, the situation could be worse and far more hostile. The following are also nice things to hear: "I'll have $2500 for you when I get to NH." "You'll have $400 by Wednesday at the latest." "I plan to be caught up in payments by next week"

Until I start seeing evidence that plans and promises result in action, we have an issue. I really don't know if there is a "plan", or if there is just the hope that things will magically work out by xyz date.

It seems to me, a good creditor would want to work with the debtor to find mutually agreeable terms. Perhaps a reasonable long-term interest rate and, possibly, an understanding with any employer(s) and/or landlord(s) the debtor may have. At least that way the creditor gets a little pocket money on a continuing basis.

This would also be nice, and was tried to an extent, as you saw. Although I'm not sure what understanding I could come to with the debtor's landlord, besides making him aware of the debt.

Until there's some kind of pattern of payments, I have to act like the money will never be here, which is a frustrating way to plan my finances. No, I'm not waiting on Jay's next check so I can afford a salad, but still.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:01:08 PM by Coconut »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »

I think I'd start with the title to his rig since he already offered....

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »

Next ask about the money he is planning on spending on the fancy ass security camera system.  Then ask about what is worth so much that he needs a fancy ass security camera system.

BonerJoe

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

I don't plan on spending money on it right now. And I have nothing really to secure, but after being broken into at 4AM during a home invasion robbery (in which my wallet was stolen and absolutely contributed to not being able to stick the payment agreement), and the fact that I live in the ghetto of Manchester, it's been an idea on my mind that I wanted some input on.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »

I'm not sure what understanding I could come to with the debtor's landlord, besides making him aware of the debt.
1) the landlord can inform you if the debtor vacates
2) the landlord may want to alter the debtor's rental terms, or cancel the rental if the landlord believes the debtor will be unable to service the debt and keep up on rent payments. If that's the case, the debtor needs to find more modest accommodations, and the resulting savings go to the creditor.

Until there's some kind of pattern of payments, I have to act like the money will never be here
If you ever want to get paid, you need to start acting as a responsible creditor.
Debtors who get into trouble need someone to take over their financial decision-making. There is a loss of freedom that comes with debt.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »

A self-chosen interest rate of 200% is crazy.

Holding someone to that crazy amount is a little off if ya ask me, but I understand where the lender is comin from.

Good luck to both parties.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »

I don't plan on spending money on it right now. And I have nothing really to secure, but after being broken into at 4AM during a home invasion robbery (in which my wallet was stolen and absolutely contributed to not being able to stick the payment agreement), and the fact that I live in the ghetto of Manchester, it's been an idea on my mind that I wanted some input on.

I used to live in an average part of urban west TN (far worse than any part of NH.)  I kept my bedroom door locked when I slept, had a couple weapons by my bed and had a big heavy table blocking the one window in my room.  Of course, I never went to bed or even left the house unless my window was shut and locked.  I tried to park my car right in front of my window and made sure that nothing of value was ever visible if someone looked into my vehicle.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »

Hmpf.

I don't see what living in the ghetto has to do with any of this.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »

Hmpf.

Part of the reason he doesn't have the money to pay is because he was robbed.  If he wasn't robbed, things would be different.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »

Yes. However, individuals are robbed everywhere so it's hardly worth mentioning that it took place in a challenged neighborhood.

I tire of this hate speech.

(No, I am not trolling I am poking fun.)

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »

Hmpf.

I pretty much live in the same "ghetto", no one fucks with my shit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:21:59 AM by Robin »
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

blackie

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 03:38:36 AM »

I've always wondered who lives in the Manchester ghettos.

Lothar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:09 AM »

Any agreement is fine as long as both parties intend to honor it.  If you think you're going to appeal to the state, I don't see you having any luck with 200% interest rate.  I'd suggest adjusting the terms on whatever is owed to you, in exchange for some sort of additional security.  Perhaps interest only payments (at a very different rate) with 18 month balloon would give him enough time to get it in order, and protect the principle for you.

One option that I hesitate to recommend, but I've seen used in a particularly harsh situation, is getting a judgement, and attaching it to a pet.  I don't know how I feel about this, and I think I'd only consider doing it if I felt considerably wronged, but it has resulted in motivation where all else failed, when the pet was taken away.  Obviously, if the person doesn't care for their pet, this won't inspire them much.

If you work together, there is almost certainly some other arrangement that can be made to satisfy the debt.

Good luck!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boner Joe Owes Me Money

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.