Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 51143 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Boats
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

If you get a large enough sailboat, you can easily live on it.  I spent a week on a sailboat, spending about half the nights anchored and not in a marina, and didn't have any issues.  I believe the owner/captain lived on that boat.  Something along these lines would be fine.  It's certainly outfitted for long hauls: http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/listing/1980-Morgan-Out-Island-94604783

Of course, if you have more money you can go bigger and nicer.  If you've got $2 million to drop, you could get this:  http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/listing/2008-AEGEAN-Yacht-Builders-Motor-Sailor-95311220

Riddler

« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »

.....and again, you need half-a-dozen ''deckhands'' to operate a tub that size.
motor yacht, you need 2-hands, 2 eyes

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »

.....and again, you need half-a-dozen ''deckhands'' to operate a tub that size.
motor yacht, you need 2-hands, 2 eyes

You can get equipment that automates the furling and control of the sails and eliminates the need for a crew.

Links:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/boom-furling-systems.html

http://www.harken.com/winches/electricwinches.php
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:59:34 PM by freeAgent »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »

I am hardly surprised that you spent a week on a sailboat with the owner/captain, and aren't entirely sure if he lived aboard the vessel. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »

I am hardly surprised that you spent a week on a sailboat with the owner/captain, and aren't entirely sure if he lived aboard the vessel.  

Why do you constantly trash everything I post on this board?  It was a long time ago and I can't remember if the guy had another home or not.  He definitely lived on the boat for the whole "season".  I just can't remember if he also lived on it during the off season.  It was the type of boat that could travel to wherever he wanted to go.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:29:30 AM by freeAgent »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »

Why do you constantly trash everything I post on this board?  It was a long time ago and I can't remember if the guy had another home or not.  He definitely lived on the boat for the whole "season".  I just can't remember if he also lived on it during the off season.  It was the type of boat that could travel to wherever he wanted to go.

Why do you insist on making this into a sailboat thread?  Its apples and oranges, two completely different styles, designs and even philosophies.  I'd rather not derail this topic into wind-power which is a very large subject.  I don't know how many times I've asked you to step off with the sailboat shit.  But you can't take a hint. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »

How about a ridiculous boat:

Snopes apparently frowns upon hot-linky.

Anyway, they're doing some innovative stuff with hull design.  I didn't get too deep into the details but I suspect that hull is a fairly shallow draft and it planes at low speed.  Kinda like skipping a stone.  The resistance of forcing a boat through water is the biggest reason they get such shitty fuel economy.  (which on my part is kind of a "duh" comment). 

Bigger surface area, less displacement - think snowshoe.  When a boat is running at maximum efficiency, it planes.  You can see it in normal conditions with smaller boats, just the props will be in the water.  Thats probably what they're trying to achieve, except at slower more dignified yachting speeds. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »

I was under the impression that this was a thread about living on boats.  I'm not trying to turn it into a sailboat thread, just saying that I would prefer to live on a sailboat than a powerboat.  I was pretty much done after my first post, but Luca Brazzi commented on how operating a sailboat is a lot of work.  I commented that it's also a lot of fun.

You then decided to comment on how sailboats are not meant to be lived on.  I disagree.  Certainly, they aren't as popular, but manual transmissions in cars are less popular than automatics (in America, at least).  That doesn't mean they aren't good for getting groceries.  Anyway, I replied with two specific sailboats that I think would be livable, and then commented on sailboat technology which makes boats like that more practical for one or two people to operate (if they desire) in response to Luca Brazzi's comment about needing deckhands.

The point being, I think a sailboat is a perfectly livable boat given the right characteristics, and I would prefer a sailboat to a powerboat for such an endeavor.  I did not meant to turn your thread into something it was not, just to offer my thoughts and input.  I thought that would be valuable since I have some experience with boats and boating in general:  motor-powered and sail-powered.  I don't discriminate between the two.  They're both good.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

I was under the impression that this was a thread about living on boats.  I'm not trying to turn it into a sailboat thread, just saying that I would prefer to live on a sailboat than a powerboat.  I was pretty much done after my first post, but Luca Brazzi commented on how operating a sailboat is a lot of work.  I commented that it's also a lot of fun.

You then decided to comment on how sailboats are not meant to be lived on.  I disagree.  Certainly, they aren't as popular, but manual transmissions in cars are less popular than automatics (in America, at least).  That doesn't mean they aren't good for getting groceries.  Anyway, I replied with two specific sailboats that I think would be livable, and then commented on sailboat technology which makes boats like that more practical for one or two people to operate (if they desire) in response to Luca Brazzi's comment about needing deckhands.

The point being, I think a sailboat is a perfectly livable boat given the right characteristics, and I would prefer a sailboat to a powerboat for such an endeavor.  I did not meant to turn your thread into something it was not, just to offer my thoughts and input.  I thought that would be valuable since I have some experience with boats and boating in general:  motor-powered and sail-powered.  I don't discriminate between the two.  They're both good.

Thanks for the recap, as I am incapable of piecing together the details of the last seven posts. 

You wouldn't live on a boat. 

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2010, 02:21:24 AM »

You could take everything I know about boats, ram it up a gnat's ass and it'd look like a BB in a boxcar.

They float, I know that.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:51 AM »

You could take everything I know about boats, ram it up a gnat's ass and it'd look like a BB in a boxcar.

They float, I know that.

Are you sure you live in Michigan? :P

yamnuska

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »

One of these guys lived on a boat, you should talk to him

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Bill Brasky

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2010, 02:14:11 AM »

The Seaward. 

What a great name. 

Riddler

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »

The Seaward. 

What a great name

taken
(pretty sure)

how bout
''SEASLICK''
hmmm?
hmmm?
how bout a fresca, danny?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

The Seaward. 

What a great name

taken
(pretty sure)

how bout
''SEASLICK''
hmmm?
hmmm?
how bout a fresca, danny?

Doesn't matter if its taken. 

Whats the f-word?

Whats the seaward?

We haff a bingo. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.