Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 50820 times)

BonerJoe

Re: Boats
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »

My goal for 2011 is to own a big fucking boat. Not enough this year to do it, but next year...I WILL HAVE IT.

rabidfurby

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »

My goal for 2011 is to own a big fucking boat. Not enough this year to do it, but next year...I WILL HAVE IT.

I'm holding out for a private zeppelin. You can fly over land, and 'zeppelin' is a much cooler word than 'boat'. Therefore, it must be superior.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »

WOO-HA!

I hope I get a ride some day. 

Lately I been liking the Bayliner Bodega 40' -- early 80's models have nice interior arrangements, aesthetically pleasing* (in other words, not ugly like the big Chris Crafts), and there seem to be enough of them around, they aren't a floating mystery model.  They can be found commonly between 40k to 60k, which is a fuckin good deal considering its rivals are double that. 

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Bayliner-Bodega/21360341

This one below is $37k, I have no idea why so cheap, it looks very well kept. 
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Bayliner-Bodega/18368161

(I know you very well know what aesthetically pleasing means, I'm just saying I think its very hard to find a pretty boat normal people can afford.  These 70's and 80's models, sometimes the era is so fucking obvious, and other designs hold their eye-appeal better)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »

I'm holding out for a private zeppelin. You can fly over land, and 'zeppelin' is a much cooler word than 'boat'. Therefore, it must be superior.

"Boat" is a catch-all phrase.  When you own it, and can live on it, it becomes a yacht.  You go yachting, you park it in a yacht basin.  You can say snazzy things like "ahoy", and that just beats the balls off any general exclamation.  You automatically become a captain and a pilot, and earn respect for losing a limb or an eye, which is generally frowned upon in aviation.  Plus, you could name your yacht "Zeppelin". 

rabidfurby

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

"Boat" is a catch-all phrase.  When you own it, and can live on it, it becomes a yacht.  You go yachting, you park it in a yacht basin.  You can say snazzy things like "ahoy", and that just beats the balls off any general exclamation.  You automatically become a captain and a pilot, and earn respect for losing a limb or an eye, which is generally frowned upon in aviation.  Plus, you could name your yacht "Zeppelin". 

You don't understand. Say the following words aloud, and decide which one sounds best as a description of what your home is:

Boat

Yacht

Zeppelin

Also, because it hasn't been posted yet in this thread, and deserves to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

Bill Brasky

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »

Well, if you're relying on pure auditory pleasure...   I guess I can agree a zeppelin sounds cool.   

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »

Nice stuff.  Thank you.  

I'm not a big thrash guy, but they have their moments.  The beginning sounds like King Crimson.  

funny you should mention that.

one of thier earilier albums is titled "The Anatomy of."  The whole concept is them covering various pieces by artists who have influenced them.  Not alot of thrashing in there; but one is a King Crimson cover--"Three of a Perfect Pair*

*(which is even funnier because you just posted that same tune in the "How to embed YouTubes" thread...which still doesn't work for me :?

also...lovely images.
Do yourself a favor.

thersites

• Government Child Care
    • View Profile
    • Sandusky County Politics Examiner
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:02 AM »

[/quote]

Lately I been liking the Bayliner Bodega 40' -- early 80's models have nice interior arrangements, aesthetically pleasing* (in other words, not ugly like the big Chris Crafts), and there seem to be enough of them around, they aren't a floating mystery model.  They can be found commonly between 40k to 60k, which is a fuckin good deal considering its rivals are double that.

[/quote]

I grew up on, in, and around boats. I've also worked on them and sold parts for them. I recommend you do a lot of research on Bayliner  before you consider investing in one-there is a reason they are cheap....they are cheap. Admittedly, my experience with Bayliners is mostly with somewhat smaller fishing/pleasure boats(like 25-30'), but they are famous for being underpowered, and have poorly constructed hulls with bad lines. This results in a pig in the water.  That might not seem like such a big deal-and on a sunny Saturday it isn't, but if you're gonna live on the thing eventually you are going to get caught out in bad weather-power is one of the things that keeps the dull side down in heavy chop, and keeps you off the fucking rocks!. (I got the feel from the thread that you don't have a lot of boating experience-trust me, first time you have to deal with a gale you will shit yourself, you'll notice when it's over....assuming you're not swimming  :) )

I like your idea, though, I've thought about it often myself. I'd go the blow-boat route, but it's not a bad idea in any event and you really don't usually get fucked with much. In fact, the CG is probably the easiest LE to deal with there is, at least in terms of hyper-testosterone silliness-they spend most of their time on search and rescue and actively request assistance of us mere "citizens". Granted, this is in the Great Lakes, where "interdiction" isn't such a big deal, and  rescue operations are virtually constant(the Great Lakes account for more shipwrecks and loss of life than http://www.northernmaritimeresearch.com/shipwrecks-causes.html any stretch of Ocean of comparable area, deadly ponds-bad weather, short waves, and big fucking rocks.) so I might be familiar with a whole other CG ...harbor patrol and frickin local cops ARE something of an issue at times. (though I did put a CG petty officer in jail once when I was a bouncer-just a drunk tank kinda thing, got him with a criminal trespass that the owner dropped on the condition of a $200 donation to the Humane Society, and never come back, the way we usually did it with assholes who tried to start fights and refused to leave.)

Have you thought about getting started in something smaller? Get an idea of what you like, don't like, etc? You should be able to get into a seaworthy small-craft for a few grand, play with it for a summer, and sell if for...a few grand.(In fact, I actually have a 1983 24" IMP Inca for sale in that range-twin 140 mercruisers, great ski boat-needs work though) Anyway, there are three basic things a powerboat can have: speed, comfort, and economy. You can have any two.

Chris-Craft is likely the best quality pleasure craft/ cabin cruiser made, IMHO.
"your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park" Anthony Bourdain

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-11204-Sandusky-County-Politics-and-History-Examiner

Bill Brasky

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »

Thats why I'm spending the next few years reading before buying.  

Random comments...  

Fuck sailboats.  I hate sailboats.  I have no interest in being at the whims of wind for the small savings of fuel.  They are smaller inside than I want.  They make shitty liveaboards.  They draw deeper draft.  They require more effort underway.  For the $3,000 a year I would save in fuel, I would pay double the current fuel price to not have to deal with all that bullshit.  

I have no intention of buying a small boat so I can drive it around and say "whee", and still have no experience in operating a large boat, and the numerous concerns that accompany one.  I've been in a whole bunch of bow riders and cuddy cabins.  I don't think owning one would help much.  They're like cars.  

Any boat can hit rocks, turn over in rough weather, or break its back.  *ALL* boats are pigs in the water, but some are less piggish.  The safest thing you can do is operate safely.  Avoid bad weather, hot-dogging, smashing tough waves...  basically use your head.  

What I'd really like is a brand new $850,000 Bertram 62 YachtFisher, I know I'd be safe in that...  Unless its deck peels off like a tupperwear lid when plowing a wave on its maiden voyage, and going down in less than two minutes....

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/12624-yachtforums-exclusive-underwater-pictures-sunken-bertram-630-a.html

You'd never think that could happen, but it did.  So theres a $38,000 Bayliner floating around, thirty years old, and a million dollar Bert lying on the floor off the Carolina coast.  

I don't really want a Chris, they're ugly.  But I'll still take one if the price is right, because they're so fucking bulletproof.  Since I've started this research project I have probably looked at 2,000 boats in detail, and several thousand hours of combing through forums and websites - and thats only a fraction of what I'll end up looking at.  I'll probably end up buying a repo or an estate sale.  Paying retail is idiotic.  

I like the shape of that Bayliner Bodega because its sort of timeless, its shaped like a boat.  The ChrisCrafts, they look like something that the Brady Bunch would own.  I absolutely hate the big fat ass on 'em, with the enclosed flying bridge.  It just looks awful.  Same for the Hatt DCMYs with the big aft.  These 70's models leave something to be desired in design, plus they're so fucking heavy you'll never get them anywhere close to plane at optimum burn- they're supposed to be semi-displacement planing hulls, but powering up to plane is not cost efficient, so they're essentially trawlers anyway.  Moving up to an efficient design requires more bucks than I'm willing to consider - unless I find a deal in something sleek like an Azimut or a Fairline Phantom.  

The owner of a 1966 fiberglass Chris-Craft 47 Commander anticipated replacing his 40-year-old engines, and at the same time was interested in the feasibility of increasing the power in order to decrease the cruising time on the run from San Francisco up the Delta to Stockton. Here is the analysis of the optimum power increase for his hull, with the various powering options shown in Figure 2.

Speed-length analysis: This planing hull has an Aspect Ratio of approximately 0.3 (this is the 14.5-foot wetted beam divided by the 44- foot waterline). The speed-to-length ratios give us the following values:

Maximum Obtainable Displacement Hull Speed = 9.05 knots

Planing Hull Speed = 16.6 knots

Based on these hydrodynamics, Chris-Craft originally offered the 47-foot Commander with two propulsion systems:

n Low-power option = twin 250 hp diesels at 18 knots

n High-power option = twin 350 hp diesels at 22 knots

The lighter and less expensive version came with twin Detroit 8V53 engines of 258 bhp, which delivered just sufficient shp to bring the hull up on plane and move along at approximately 18 knots. With the high-power option and twin 350s installed, the hull easily came up to speeds greater than 20 knots.

Repower design: The availability of newer, lightweight engines suggested that for approximately the same engine weight, we could repower with twin 480 hp Yanmars 6LY3-ETP, for a total of 960 bhp, which gave us a new maximum power option of 480 hp diesels and 23.5 knots.

We also discovered results for two similar 47-foot Commander repower designs. They included a 1969 hull with twin 355 bhp Cummins diesels, totaling 710 bhp, basically a duplication of the original high-power option, which provided a 4-knot increase in speed to 22 knots. The other was a 1967 hull with new twin 310 bhp Caterpillars, for a total of 610 bhp. Splitting the difference between the original high- and low-power options, we find a medium-power option of 310 hp diesels and 20.8 knots.

The fuel dock: Everything always comes back to cost. The more horsepower you buy, the more it costs and the more fuel it burns. The 56-mile trip to Stockton (from the Bay Area) at 20.8 knots with the medium-power option takes two hours and 40 minutes. The same trip at 23 knots takes two hours and 26 minutes, for a savings of only 14 minutes — just at an increased fuel cost of more than $100 each way.

It doesn’t take long with a calculator and today’s fuel prices to figure out that the medium-power option is the optimal repowering choice, which balances speed gain against cost.

Riddler

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »

that's funny.
a buddy of mine has a '56 chris craft (18 footer, i believe), that he named ''absolutely''
lake winnipesaukee

Bill Brasky

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »

that's funny.
a buddy of mine has a '56 chris craft (18 footer, i believe), that he named ''absolutely''
lake winnipesaukee

Theres a real nice show boat on the lake near where I grew up, old wooden Chris.  Stretch model, with a separate back jumpseat, kinda like the old rumble seat in hot rods.  Looks like something John John Kennedy would be driving around the Cape, with a white scarf and the raybans.  If he didn't have a big hole in his head. 

Riddler

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »

bah-haa
i'ma do this, if i git rich
(btw, bonerjoe is played by black guy in rowboat)
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uFllB_NhS0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uFllB_NhS0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

hey, i git it now, w/ the jewtube thing
yipee for me
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:24:20 AM by Lord Humungus »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »

bah-haa
i'ma do this, if i git rich
(btw, bonerjoe is played by black guy in rowboat)

There was an incident where a guy made a damaging wake somewhere in the Chesapeake this summer, he was operating a biggie, 105ft Sunseeker.

The guy was the owner of Bomabardier.  He was probably not even operating his own boat at the time, it was probably more like his daughters boyfriend or some shit, being a dumbfuck.

Anyway, in a no-wake area, his wake splashed and rolled a whole bunch of boats at dock, knocked the shit out of 'em.  Smashed up a whole bunch of swim platforms, like where you waterski off.  Broke cleats, rubbed a bunch of damage on bows against the docks.  All from just the wake.  (a 5-ft tsunami of a wake - totally irresponsible.  you get caught between a boat and a dock when that happens, you're fucking dead meat)

Within minutes, hundreds of people were pissed.  The Coast Guard was called with the name and description of the boat.  They put out an APB, and calculated the radius of where he could be on the maps.  The airwaves and forums of professionals lit up like a christmas tree.  

They eventually found his identity and location, and he got served bigtime with damage lawsuits.  Every fucker who was nearby joined the party, probably even some boats in parking lots.  If it had damage, it happened during the incident, no matter when it actually  happened.  How you gonna argue that it was pre-existing?  Dozens of boats at dock, all splashing and rolling like toys in a bathtub against solid wood.  Each one worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, repairing any random doodad costs plenty.  Repainting the whole thing?  Shiit.  

So he settled, open checkbook, submit yer bills.  Rape me assole.  Better than getting the courts involved, raising his insurance and all that.  Not to mention, during the fracas, he had every yahoo with a blue light gunning for him.  Probably wanted to come aboard and look for cocaine and dildos.  

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »

Thats a beauty.  Good price, too.  The size is a little intimidating for a couple reasons - other than piloting it which is for the more experienced "driver".  Usually with something that size you need a reliable deckhand.  So a couple could get the job done but a single operator, probably not.  Twin diesels recently hauled, which is a great savings of about $10k, but those engines would drink fuel like a sonofabitch.  It would cost about $1200 to fill the fuel, and probably 24hrs running time to burn it in a 400 mile jaunt. 

This aught to interest you. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.