Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 50814 times)

Riddler

Re: Boats
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »

I want a boat with a limey in the engine room I have to phone up to change speeds.

ME: FULL AHEAD
LIMEY: AYE EYE CAP'N

*click*

you need you an old PT boat
niggas were so big, (78-80')they had a guy in the engine room at all times, to shift the transmissions
3 big-ass, gas-guzzling packard V12's

Bill Brasky

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »

3 words, brasko, me boy
bare-naked-tits
i not whinin or anything, i'm sayin', is all....
nice boats, by-the-by....
but, w/ tits, they'd really shine....

Park it at some dockside bar on a Friday.  You'll be Windex'n the tit-prints off the glass Saturday afternoon. 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »

While I'm sure any of those could work for living aboard, some of them do look a lot homier than others.  I think if you can look at interior photos of a boat and not immediately conclude that it's a boat (or a bus or a trailer, etc.), that's probably a good thing.  Even if you're well prepared to live in a relatively enclosed space, you want that space to be comfortable, right? 

With that in mind, the 55ft long Commander is my favorite.  But at the same time, you said you wanted something shorter than 45 ft. if at all possible for the sake of maneuverability.  With that constraint the Vikings look good, though the Silverton might be a better deal. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:43 AM »

While I'm sure any of those could work for living aboard, some of them do look a lot homier than others.  I think if you can look at interior photos of a boat and not immediately conclude that it's a boat (or a bus or a trailer, etc.), that's probably a good thing.  Even if you're well prepared to live in a relatively enclosed space, you want that space to be comfortable, right? 

With that in mind, the 55ft long Commander is my favorite.  But at the same time, you said you wanted something shorter than 45 ft. if at all possible for the sake of maneuverability.  With that constraint the Vikings look good, though the Silverton might be a better deal. 

Hi. 

I think its a good sign of a quality builder if they incorporate livability into the space.  Some manufacturers are just better at design than others.  And some boats have "weekender" purposes and aren't meant for living long-term.  Kinda like a hunting cabin, it'll suffice a bunch of men who want to fish, drink beer, and dump their poop when they come back.  Those are the ones shaped like Corvettes, instead of having a big fat ass on 'em.  I like the shape of the hot-rods, but they would suck for living.  You need big holding tanks for water and waste, not just fuel and ice chests. 

So it kinda bums me out when the ones for living aren't sexy from the outside.  Thats one of the reasons I like the Silvertons, too.  They have a nice shape.  Its a mental obstacle I have to personally overcome, because 99% of the time, your view will be from inside.  You won't be standing on a dock watching your own boat run past, looking like tits-n-ass covered in whipped cream.

The size is ultimately important in a number of ways.  Boats weigh a ton.  Pushing that weight through the water is a huge energy burn.  Drag is simply massive in water.  They are so totally inefficient, its really just disgusting to consider in terms of fuel consumption.  A twin-screw (2 props) diesel with normal sized engines can rip through absurd quantities of fuel, regardless of boat size.  It can cost you a couple hundred bucks just to move it a hundred miles. 

Heres a photo of a typical diesel engine room.  Note the headroom is about 6ft high, so a person can work on the engine. 

Thems some big fuckin engines.  I don't have the specs, but thats what you'd probably find in most of the boats I pictured.  Give or take, those are Detroit naturally aspirated 671's.  Common engine, sometimes they're under the floorboards and you pull the sections of plank up to access. Thats why you see square sections in the carpeted floor of live- aboards.  They don't always have an engine room. 

Suffice it to say, larger boat compounds mightily in fuel consumption. 

The thing is, you want to run your boat.  You want to run it and enjoy it, this is the purpose of life, and life on water.  Its kinda fucking pointless to own a boat and not run it.  So you'd want to minimize the financial impact, and maximize your ability to steer it with any degree of skill.  You would not want a monstrosity that is beyond your abilities of skill. 

Boats don't have any brakes (although you can reverse the engines).  Momentum is a bitch.  You can crash into stuff and with 60,000 lbs of kinetic energy behind a mistake, you can do a lot of fucking damage.  You can crush your bow, collapse a dock, or crush another boat.  The longer and bigger, the less forgiving it is.  Energy in motion is a mathematical fact, and mistakes with weight behind them just keep on crushing in slow-mo until you wanna puke.   

The weight that would make sea-going more comfortable makes maneuverability more hazardous.  In the water, the bigger the better when waves are a consideration.  At sea, you want a big fucker.  At dock, you want a small boat. 

I would love to have that brown Constellation.  And I'd probably bite off more than I can chew, and opt for it like a stupid man.  And I'd probably kick myself for years after, because its just not practical.  It'd cost me a couple hundred extra per month in dockage, and a couple hundred every time I wanna run it.  And for what?  An extra bedroom I never use.  Boat length is a dick measuring contest, and the rules of land-lubbers with house size need to be checked at the door.  They do not compute.  Photographs screw with your eye, and make all boats look small inside.  Boats are 15ft wide, which is bigger than the average bedroom.  Its a quirky thing when people photograph the inside, they take photos down hallways and from doorway vantage-points.  The windows are small, and the doors are narrow for reasons of structural integrity.  Conservation of space in kitchens and bedrooms is an art form which translates badly in photography.  They also employ low ceilings for structural reasons, which is unnatural to the eye in people who are accustomed to traditional architecture.   

You'd need to go aboard and physically adjust to the surroundings.  A 40+ may be more than adequate. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:19 AM »

I. AM. EXTREMELY. TEMPTED.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/1464072999.html

Dude, holy fuck.  Buy it.  Its probly got a few gremlins, but so what?  If you end up hating the life, flip it. 

I'd park that fucker up in the FL panhandle and laugh my balls off every fuckin' day. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »

I found this one nearby too, which might be less of a maintenance asspain:

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Chris-Craft-Commander/16300451

Riddler

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »

I. AM. EXTREMELY. TEMPTED.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/1464072999.html

that's way short money, negroe.....
buy, buy, buy.....

Bill Brasky

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2009, 03:40:46 PM »

I found this one nearby too, which might be less of a maintenance asspain:

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Chris-Craft-Commander/16300451

You never know, they both might be the same with the important stuff.  Engines, genny, bottom coat.  The more expensive one has nicer stuff inside, but it might not be $20k of nicer stuff.  I like the wood detail in the nicer one.  The cheap one might have more-recently serviced engines, since its hauled out and sitting.  The more expensive one sez 2000 hours on the engines.  This does not mean 2000 hours since factory, it means 2000 hours since overhaul.  Diesels get hauled every 3000 hours or so, maybe go up to 5000 if babied.  Then they wanna do compression tests, take the heads off and might re-drill the cyl's or put in fresh pistons.  I donno much about diesel mechanics (translation - nada) but I do know LOW hours is among the most important things to look for.  At 10-12 knots cruise, 100 hours would take you 1000-1200 miles.  So 2000 engine hours is actually a lot of boating.  It could take you many years to register 2000 hours, if you keep it local and just go on jaunts.   

Usually at a marina when people go to check out a potential buy, they can hire the services of a captain.  You gotta ask the dockmaster who he recommends.  It might be him himself.  The captain will do a walk-through, spend an hour or three giving the important stuff a look.  They'll notice things that look a little flooky, or some item that may be simply not there, which a noob can't notice.  When/if someone eventually buys, they'll need some captaining lessons anyway if they're noobs.  How to tie up properly, you'll do some touch-n-go's on a buoy where nothing can get hurt.  Theres a real lot to know, you can't expect to just drive away.  The walk-through would be probably a buck-fifty, the lessons maybe 200-250 for an afternoon. 

Some things people just don't think about, and it bites 'em in the ass.  One guy left his dock-water line hooked up turned to the "on" position, a pipe sprung a leak inside, and he almost sunk it by filling it like a pool.  Another guy tied up too tight, tide went out, boat was hanging there.  A captain can help prevent that stuff, by pointing out the important details, which you'll turn into a checklist that must be checked upon going out boating, or when buttoning-up and leaving for a few days to go home. 

My latest tidbit was registration, costs about $275/yr for the sticker.  So far, thats the only "law" I've found.  Everything else is privatized.  (Until you are under motor power, then the cops have motoring laws) Where you pump out your waste, etc.  You have to be more than 25 miles out (I think) to dump waste legally, otherwise you must pay for pump-out.  Some marinas do not allow liveaboards  -at all.  Some just allow a few.  Typically, a liveaboard is classified as inhabited for more than five days in any consecutive 10-day period.  So you could do weekends wherever it is and not be considered a liveaboard, and never leave the dock until you're comfortable driving it.  Dockage would run about $500ish per month on either of those, probly including shore-power and water.  Yearly comes to around 4500, you get a cookie for being a yearly contract. 

My solution for expensive dockage (so far) is to investigate docks way up-river, where the day-tripper yahoos won't want to be that far from saltwater coast.  If it takes 'em three hours to get to open sea, there goes half their day.  It might be more protected from storms inland, fresh-water is better to sit in, and the little 100-slip "marina" might actually want your business.  The big ones don't really care, open-checkbook millionaires all want prime location, so they can charge anything they want. 

Riddler

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »

another helpful tip on boat-buying, would be the ability to know who the previous owner was.....i don't mean the details of the guys sex life, but whether or not the guy was a seaoned boatsman....
ie: was thie boat you are looking at his 1st?
is he one of those douchebags that thinks checking the oil is something you only do once, when the engine is new?
a lot of moneyed people can't be bothered with the mundanities of maintainence...they'll buy something expensive, use it until it blows up,or discard it right before the ticking stops.....
i'd take much comfort in knowing the boat i'm about to buy was from an old cantankerous salt, that would gut you for leaving a ring on the mahogany table from your beer can....a popeye-lookin' motherfucker that could rattle off the exact part # for every fluid filter on the fucking boat, and tell you, without a twitch, the exact day & hour he replaced said filters....

Bill Brasky

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

another helpful tip on boat-buying, would be the ability to know who the previous owner was.....i don't mean the details of the guys sex life, but whether or not the guy was a seaoned boatsman....
ie: was thie boat you are looking at his 1st?
is he one of those douchebags that thinks checking the oil is something you only do once, when the engine is new?
a lot of moneyed people can't be bothered with the mundanities of maintainence...they'll buy something expensive, use it until it blows up,or discard it right before the ticking stops.....
i'd take much comfort in knowing the boat i'm about to buy was from an old cantankerous salt, that would gut you for leaving a ring on the mahogany table from your beer can....a popeye-lookin' motherfucker that could rattle off the exact part # for every fluid filter on the fucking boat, and tell you, without a twitch, the exact day & hour he replaced said filters....

This is true.  Chances are, you'll be buying the boat from the seller.  So you'll get to meet him.  In other cases, you'll be dealing with a yacht broker, which has its pros and cons.  Pro- they have a professional look it over and hopefully disclose or repair any problems.  Con- They jack the price up like car dealers, and put it at current market value.  You won't find good deals when you're paying that fucker to drive around in a Ferrari.  

I'd rather buy from a private seller who fits the description of "salty", but theres some very picky "open checkbook" owners who pay for all routine maintenance and then some.  Mostly, this is because their lives can depend upon it being seaworthy, and if they can't turn wrenches, they pay someone else to do it.  

You'd be surprised at the number of captain-handyman guys who make a living by giving a boat a once-per-month visit as routine, like a yardman.  They check the oil and filters, turn the engines over and take it for a little spin (engines must be exercised under load, running at the dock doesn't cut the mustard).  Check the bowlines for loose knots, make sure the fenders are positioned right.  You can contract a guy to do this for about a hundred bucks a visit, or less.  And when he finds something that needs replacing, he repairs it and charges for his extra time (if the owner says do it).  

Others tie up and let it rot, and then clean it up nice before selling like it was ship-shape the whole time.  Those are the ones you don't want.  The engines gunk up, the fuel gets condensation in it.  Windows leak and nobody finds the wet spot for months, which rots your plywood to shit.  You can tell those because everyone is cleaning like gangbusters, theres bottles of cleaning products and paper towels in the photos.  When a boat is properly cared for, that shit is stowed away.

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

embedding's fucked up.

anyway...this song reminds me of this thread whenever I listen to it.

I really enjoy the bass guitar tracks--espeically in the buildup w/ "no more panic...etc"

ANNNY WAY.

Quote from: between the buried and me
It's been a long night...away from it all
The grabbing authority of my peers...
The rusty cage that never seems to open...
When can I escape? When can I swim to the moon?
I've heard this expression my entire life...never realized how peaceful a statement really is.
All alone on the worlds waters...here I am.
The sun's slowly drifting past the edge of the world...(can't blame our ancestors)
I'm the loneliest boat on this entire body of water.
Rest will give my awakening purpose...this is why I have come here in the first place.
A peace I have never felt... a life I did not want to live.
I will awake through sleep...
The drifting drifter...look into the picture...

(The Foreshadowing)
No more panic, no more regret.
No more hoping for a new mess.

Slide into the water
Become one with the sea.
Life seems so much smaller.

Swim to the moon.

extended lyrics
Do yourself a favor.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »

Nice stuff.  Thank you.  

I'm not a big thrash guy, but they have their moments.  The beginning sounds like King Crimson.  

Random pix...

perfect gunkhole

Balboa pier, near Sarasota.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »

(beautiful photos)

I just want to gather all of the people I like from around the world and form a community in Belize.  Is that so wrong?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:15 PM »

(beautiful photos)

I just want to gather all of the people I like from around the world and form a community in Belize.  Is that so wrong?

Not at all.  I think theres a lot to be said for environment as it relates to happiness.  It doesn't have to be on boat(s) or whatever.  For me, its just that the mobility and nautical life represents that certain something I happen to be lacking.  And the people are more along the lines of what are kindred spirits, people who "go for it" and set out into a world of uncertainty, chasing the elusive. 

I think you'd like this thread.  This womans life sounds remarkable.  She shares a shitty ordeal about harbor regulations, but some amazing details emerge as you follow the thread and read between the lines. 

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/frequently-asked-yacht-questions/4055-when-anchorage-not-anchorage.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.