Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 50818 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: Boats
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 11:47:01 PM »

As an American in a foreign country, you'll probably be taxed until you get exempted by filling out nine miles of paperwork.  They're not gonna just waive anything willy-nilly.  You owe until you take the action to be treated otherwise.  I'm sure they would like nothing more than for a percentage of people to say fuckit, which is why they make things complicated and difficult on purpose.  People get frustrated and give up, and just do whatever they're told.  They don't know their rights, and don't know what questions to ask.  Nobody volunteers the answers.  How are you expected to have a competent understanding of this dense complicated system?  By osmosis?  Boyscouts knock on your door and hand you a two page pamphlet?  No.  Its hidden, to fuck you up and leech every fuckin nickel they can squeak out of your tight ass, and then some.  And if you fuck it up, they'll think you're ripping them off, and violate your papers. 

Lucky for you, at least you'd have a bunch of rabbi dudes who are familiar with it from past experience of visitors.  You guys stick together, and its not a hidden jab.  Someone like me, I'd be alone, swinging in the wind. 

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »

Right, which is why I am surprised I would have to pay taxes as an ex-pat.

The US is the only country that expects you to pay taxes on foreign income earned while outside the US.

Yes, it sucks. Oh, and the country you live in taxes you too.

If I was a foreigner in America, I would still (presumably) pay income tax.

Indeed. I think the phrase is, "They get you coming and going."
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Riddler

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:27 AM »

try this shit on for size.....
(oh, would that i could)
http://www.why-yachts.com/#/This%20is%20WHY

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »

Lame.  Yachts are for butt-kissing yuppies who want to jerk off on the illusion of freedom while in reality they're only making their lifestyle ever more entangled with (and dependent on) government force!  You can't own a yacht without paying tens of thousands of dollars in taxes and other fees, and if the coast guard asks you to pull up and you don't - no more yacht!

Riddler

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »

Lame.  Yachts are for butt-kissing yuppies who want to jerk off on the illusion of freedom while in reality they're only making their lifestyle ever more entangled with (and dependent on) government force!  You can't own a yacht without paying tens of thousands of dollars in taxes and other fees, and if the coast guard asks you to pull up and you don't - no more yacht!

only if'n yer a fag....like you

Bill Brasky

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »

If you think you're gonna turn this into another Libmanesque attention-whore thread, you're sadly mistaken.  

But I shall address a few points.  

Boats are a house that can leave the country at any time the owner wants.  Can you comprehendo the advantage of that?  Hmm?  

Nobody says you have to spend absurd monies on a boat, which I think I've covered exhaustively.  Your boat does not get regularly, if at all, reassessed.  You can move it to a more economically friendly environment, where the taxes are different, negligible, or fucking ZERO.  Is this sinking into your thick skull?

The USCG is a concern, like any law enforcement agency.  In the name you may observe the word "coast".  This is usually found in border states that have coastline.  You can avoid these areas with ease by navigating upriver, which is not USCG domain, but that of local law enforcement, game commission, or perhaps none at all in rural areas.  If the USCG does become involved, you can be in some serious trouble - like any involvement with law enforcement.  However, being that they are a federal agency, they exercise extreme caution in their contacts.  They do not simply board a vessel.  Stepping foot on a vessel changes everything in maritime law, and becomes a big fucking pain in the balls for USCG.  So they are hesitant to act in a hasty manner.  Shit does happen, but shit happens in cars, too.  And houses.  Your best defense is to have your paperwork in order, don't act like a jackass when visible, and obey navigation rules.  If you are tied up, they will most likely not pay you any attention.  

The biggest advantage comes from being energy-independent.  That alone takes you half-way off-grid.  You don't have to pay "the man" whatever is the going rate for energy.  And since boats are energy efficient in design due to generation reasons, producing the necessary energy and tying into the boat's system is relatively easy compared to a house.  

The other advantage comes from the mobility.  You can group with similarly-minded people and it has little to do with the economical concerns found in land-based housing.  You can afford a house in a certain area, or an apartment.  Other places, you can't.  The price of your house or apartment will directly dictate the neighborhood, or visa-verca.  The cheaper it gets, the more cops will be around.  And that means more crime, and more unhappy neighbors you probably won't like.  Try paying $50k and see what kind of house you get, and what kind of neighbors you'll have.  Not my kind of place when personal liberty is the goal.  You may find a rural cabin, which I've looked into and consider a suitable alternative.  But then you aren't mobile and have to pay yearly taxes directly to the gov. to keep your house.  

Boats are a big loophole in the system, a rare loophole, and worth exploring.  

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »

Yeah, it does sound great initially.

Spend a year living on the high seas.  Let me know how that turns out.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2009, 02:15:53 AM »

Why do people continually believe the "high seas" have anything to do with it?

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:39 AM »

Outside of legal authority.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 02:44:26 AM »

Outside of legal authority.

That can't be done in a 40ft boat. 

The international waters is an entirely different concept.  People who relate these two concepts in their minds have no practical knowledge, at all.  They are showing everyone how stupid they are.  They should just say "I have no fucking clue, and my post is idiotic".  It would save everyone a lot of writing.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

If you think you're gonna turn this into another Libmanesque attention-whore thread, you're sadly mistaken.  

Bye bye, asshole

Bill Brasky

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »

Oopsie, I got confused and disoriented for a moment (or 3-4 years).  I thought I was in an online forum where people are free to comment on other people's ideas and discuss them rationally.  I didn't know it was ShawAndBraskyShowingOffTheirToys.com.  My bad.  Enjoy your disconnected overtaxed easily-sinkable agriculturally-dependent soon-to-be-U.N.-gun-controlled mobile home lifestyle.  No more peanut gallery comments from me.  Bon voyage!

The problem is, you're not rational.  I left the comment where you made a legitimate point.  This is the HFZ.  People like you are why I make my threads in the HFZ, even before I had buttons.  

If you want to make stoopid comments, you'll have to do it in your own threads.  Or you could hijack a thread where the person will allow it.  

I mean, really.  What kind of brain malfunction do you have where you believe a thread about any specific topic can become whatever the fuck you want it to be, just because you type a bunch of idiotic comments and click "go" ?  Are you that fuckin' stupid?  If you think that is somehow encompassed in your "rights to free speech" then you obviously ARE that fuckin' stupid, when you know perfectly well that a person can utilize whatever tools he has at his disposal in webspace.  And if there was a rule disallowing that, you'd be flippin' out.  That feature mirrors property rights in webspace.  Wrap your head around it, genius.  

My purpose here is to cover the aspects of boating as they relate to personal freedom.  As we go forward, people become more informed of the pro's and cons, and can make an informed decision.  Obviously nobody is gonna run right out and buy a boat.  But it could give them an alternative to consider, and I would like the input of people who have actual experience.  This won't happen if it turns into a free-for-all.  And if you have any actual serious beliefs in education about personal freedom, you'll refrain from hijacking all by yourself.  It is irresponsible behavior on your part to provide obstacles in an exchange of information between curious people.  

Lets review:  

-No, you cannot grow corn in the middle of the ocean.

-No, you should not attempt to navigate to the middle of the ocean in a boat that has a range of 400-500 NM

-You can possibly avoid all property taxes if you're creative enough

-You can generate all your own power with minor adjustments of existing systems

-You can see a lot of scenery you'd never see if you own property on land (although you can own a boat AND property on land)

-You can move freely from place to place without the scrutiny of land-cops, and possibly never see another land-cop again.

One of the things I'm currently concentrating on is legal jurisdictions and agencies.  I'll probably ask some people with experience in another forum, rather than forage around in teh webz for inaccurate info.  

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:04:59 PM by Drifter »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 03:16:09 AM »

This here is just a long list of "randoms" that I consider to be a bargain.  Nothing insanely fancy, everything here would make a good liveaboard, is under $60k and usually less than 45 ft. 

This took me a lot of time... 

43ft Viking, two bedroom, nicely kept.  Full size kitchen, screened-in "back porch".  Built in 1978, fiberglass hull, has a range of about 400 NM.  $55,000

Another Viking.  Same design, pretty much.  No screened in back porch.  Also $55k

41ft Chris Craft 410 Commander.  These things are kinda ugly, but they're the Ford Pickup trucks of the water.  Indestructible, reliable, and boat people have worked on 'em.  $55k.  The guy went a little gay with the flags there, gotta take that shit off. 

1973 Pacemaker 40' Flybridge.  Nicely kept, $55k

40ft Silverton Aft Cabin.  Theres lots of these around.  This one's an 87 I think.  Nice boat.  Silverton is one of those companies that wants your business, so they put out a good product and don't go crazy with frills, undercut the market and run away with the show.  $50k

47ft Concord - nice boat, but the guy doesn't know how to operate a camera worth shit.  Pix of the inside are teeny.  This one's a bug fuckin diesel with lotsa power and a long range.  $60k  Probly pisses through fuel.  Lots of interior room, and everything is normal-sized.  Big genny, too

This one here's a 1970 Gulf Commander Pilothouse.  Fuckin beauty.  I think I showed a picture of this earlier in the thread, but it deserves to be here, an excellent bargain at a modest $58,000.  It's about 45 ft long, lotsa room inside.  Everything's perfect, right down to the woodwork.  Rear deck could use a new coat, but so what.  One thing I love about this one is the sliding rear doors, very cool.  I can tell this guy is an old salty badger, and knows his shit...  one word: maps

This one piques my curiosity, its an "unspecified" make, 45ft flybridge.  Probly a one-off from a custom manufacturer, which isn't anything really remarkable.  Lots of private companies make a few boats for enthusiasts.  It was made in the mid-80's, pricetag is $55k.  I think the guy is losing his ass in a divorce or bankruptcy, because the ad is just one paragraph and theres hardly any pix for this nice of a boat.  He claims its fresh from a $55,000 refit of all important shit, has receipts to prove it.  Sounds like a life going suddenly from good to bad. 

Speaking of "unspecified", heres one I never heard of.  A 42ft Hershine.  This thing looks pretty slick.  Nice wood inside, looks like its well maintained.  Only problem I see with this one is, the "living room" area looks bolted down.  I'd like to be able to take the furniture out, this seems to be a fixed design.  Like theres storage lockers under the couch, that sort of thing.  $59,000

Another Chris Craft, 41ft built in 1981.  This one's nice.  $59k.  Some go for twice that, or much more in this condition and year.  I'm not too wacky about the brown, but it grew on me as I looked.  Boats are always fucking white white white.  These Commanders are battle-wagons.  I wouldn't be afraid to take this one into some waves, Chris Craft builds tough reliable machines.  This one's a diesel.  I like it.

Yet another Chris, this one's fuckin' huge.  Its a 55ft long Commander, selling for $47k.  Built in '73, its got tons of nav equipment and all the necessary shit.  This boat is balls.  Diesel, long range tanks.  It'd cost a fortune to dock, a fortune to run, and be worth every fucking penny.  You could go to war in this fucking thing, all it needs is cannon on the bow.  Its got THREE full sized staterooms, a full sized kitchen.  You name it.  It probably has a big thick penis that drags on the ocean floor, except all boats are girls, so maybe not.  The owner drove it up from Honduras.  Honduras!  I wouldn't have the balls to drive a car to Honduras. 

This one deserves honorable mention, just 'cause she's a good old girl.  She's 80, have a little respect.  She was a cop-boat back in the days of prohibition, built for speed to chase rum-runners.  She's got beds and all that, a kitchen.  Wooden hull, lovingly restored, and can outperform modern boats of similar designed hulls.  Notice the pole, with all the wear on it.  Thats from people holding it while she runs.  People have been grabbing that pole for 80 years.  She's still standing. 

Yet another Chris, this one is a Catalina model, which is a little bit different than the others I've shown.  Its a 42ft built in '87, this is a pretty nice boat.  All modern shit, its a bank repo going for $49k.  Its a 2 bedroom setup, none of this bunkbed shit.  It'd be a good turn-key investment for two people if they forked out a little cash.  A 42ft would be on the cheaper end of fuel and dockage.  Its got a washer-dryer.  The important part is not the washer-dryer itself, but running the hookups.  Any fool can buy an appliance.  This bird has the hookups, and thats major win. 

If you made it this far, you get the bonus photo...  Do I ever fail to bring the goods? 

Riddler

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »

If you made it this far, you get the bonus photo...  Do I ever fail to bring the goods

3 words, brasko, me boy
bare-naked-tits
i not whinin or anything, i'm sayin', is all....
nice boats, by-the-by....
but, w/ tits, they'd really shine....

BonerJoe

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

I want a boat with a limey in the engine room I have to phone up to change speeds.

ME: FULL AHEAD
LIMEY: AYE EYE CAP'N

*click*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Boats

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 33 queries.