Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Board games thread.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Board games thread.  (Read 8039 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Board games thread.
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »

1. Do you like them?

2. Which one/s?

We have a bunch. We bought Arkham Horror recently. Haven't even played it yet. I've spent more time making a custom carrying case for the game than even reading the rules to be honest.

Here's a pic of the game in it's WIP carrying case.

I've always had this infatuation with the idea of a really nice, really high quality board game. Like, an ultimate board game made of pure awesome. Something you'd get together with people over wine and cheese to play.

But not some crappy old parlor type game. I mean, I first expressed this desire by making a custom chess set. (It was pretty cool) But I'm not talking chess here.

A game that people would pay $200+ for. Metal and wood. Brass and stained cherry. But something interesting subject wise, like horror or science fiction. A journey to the Center of the Earth or 20,000 Leagues or The Lost World (Not the movie) or something like that. A board with mechanical parts that changed while you played. Something AWESOME.

Been thinking about it for years. *Sigh* I'll probably just have to design one and build it some time.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Board games thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »

Back in my early war-monger days, I used to like to play the Avalon Hill games............ Panzer Blitz, Diplomacy, ect ect. I still think they are well though out and put together games, but my aversion to that type of shit kinda made me lose interest in playing them.

Pretty cool setup on your stuff though.  I might play more intricate games, but I dont really have a large group of friends that I hang out with to even make it feasable. *sad face*
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »

Only board games that stick with me are Monopoly and Connect 4. I would (and have) spend money on a fancy Monopoly set. My current favorite is the electronic bank card version to play. I like the Star Wars one for the visuals. I also have a normal one and the Junior. I like to read tarot cards so I have, of course, a affinity for card games. My Tarot cards are fairly fancy and I have a brief case type poker set. The only other game I play regularly is one called sound safari which is for small children. I like a game called Mouse Trap, but I lost the last one I had in my divorce.
In other words I think you are really on to something. I think that sort of high quality stuff is cool, it looks so much better on display and people respect the object itself more so it lasts longer.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

I have Arkham Horror and I really like it! The rules are EXTREMELY elaborate so brace yourself. It takes playing a few times and you get into the rhythm. I have played it all by myself where I move all the characters. It's a team game where you're working together to beat the evil god so that's fine. It's a great way to get accustomed to the rules and the rhythm.  There's a series of things that needs to happen each turn and it's easy to forget parts, and the order matters a lot to maintain game balance.

It's hard to find people willing to play it because it's so elaborate.  It actually can go faster with more people because you actually have a better chance of winning with more players and you can stay ahead of the challenges that tend to accumulate if you start lagging behind.  The difficulty can vary a lot depending on which ancient one you're up against as each one changes the environment but unless you have a really tough ancient one, you can usually win with 3 or 4 players.  At 5 the game gets a little bit harder but not enough that it isn't still really helpful to have that many players.

I will probably get expansions for it eventually.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »

Bunch of great information.

Good to know. We'll get around to playing when we have a clean kitchen table and the cats aren't acting like asses.

Cats being asses + table full of little board game pieces = Fucking mess.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »

Q: Cats being asses

A: Squirt Bottles

Unfortunately the problem child (New babycat Mortimer) fucking loves water. Loves it as in sticks his head under faucets and dips his paws in it then licks them.

He's a bit odd.

Doesn't help that generally speaking there's no rule against cat on counter/table. That was a war long lost.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »

Risk. I have yet to lose a game of Risk. ever. to anybody. Maybe someone in NH will beat me...

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

Some extra gameplay manuals Melissa put together from the PDF. I'm fucking fussy and OCD and the nice four color one that came with the game is delicate.

She did it all up so we could use the saddle stapler and bind the pages properly. The math involved in printing that shit out four to a page with all the reversals and shit so when you fold and staple it the pages come out right hurts my brain so she does that sort of work.

Printed on legal size linen eggshell for that extra American Psycho flavor.

Another action shot. Notice all the badass.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:34:41 PM by John Shaw »

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »

Quit fartin' around and play it!

BTW, it's nigh impossible to beat with 2 players.  If you and Melissa play, you may want to play 2 characters each.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »

Quit fartin' around and play it!

BTW, it's nigh impossible to beat with 2 players.  If you and Melissa play, you may want to play 2 characters each.

Good to know. We're gonna try tomorrow maybe.

Can't help but fart around tho. I'm a closet boardgame designer of the worst sort, mang. Been trying to find tiny plastic brains and tiny plastic magnifying glasses to replace the cardboard shit. You'd think some cheap Chinese plastic brain tokens would be floating around out there.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »

Impressive, but I'd have gone with the Pale Nimbus font, in Bone, myself.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:03:12 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »

Impressive, but I'd have gone with the Pale Nimbus font, in Bone, myself.

Sounds classier than it is. It was what we had lying around. Melissa is a paper hoarder and has an insane selection of awesome stuff just kinda piled up around the house.

SethCohn

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »

Lots of gamers in NH.  We even started a Gamey Porcupine group on yahoogroups way way back and then FB.

Carcassonne has a large number of folks who like to play it.
Pandemic got popular enough with the crowd that we played it 'life-sized' at PF last year (and set it up but barely played it this year)
Dominion, Agricola, and many other games get played regularly.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

Gotta go with Talisman 2nd Edition from Games Workshop myself...

"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Board games thread.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.