Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bitcoin
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitcoin  (Read 85654 times)

alaric89

• View Profile
Re: Bitcoin
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »

http://traffic.libsyn.com/ftl/FTL2011-11-19.mp3
Bitcoin was pretty much all that was talked about on this FTL.

AdamStgBit

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »

Go see: http://www.thebitcoinreview.com/

It has over 750 bitcoin businesses listed

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »

To anyone who heard the Bitcoin discussion on FTL tonight (Sat, Nov 20), if you want to learn more about Bitcoin, a good starting place is WeUseCoins.org.  Also, if you're ready to buy or sell or store them, I recommend CryptoXChange.com

Many things about bitcoin are unclear to me. For example, Crypto requires that you submit your physical address before performing any trades. Can someone explain to me why that is necessary?

Presumably, if someone wants to use Crypto to buy bitcoins, and then use those coins from their wallet account later for anonymous transactions with other vendors, they shouldn't need any physical address (or the person's name, for that matter).

Also, if the vendor can tell someone's physical address information from a bitcoin address, what would prevent any other party from doing the same?

I'm confused about the claims of anonymity.

That's because it's really not anonymous.

Bit Coin is a scam.
</paranoid but truthful rant>
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AdamStgBit

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »

To anyone who heard the Bitcoin discussion on FTL tonight (Sat, Nov 20), if you want to learn more about Bitcoin, a good starting place is WeUseCoins.org.  Also, if you're ready to buy or sell or store them, I recommend CryptoXChange.com

Many things about bitcoin are unclear to me. For example, Crypto requires that you submit your physical address before performing any trades. Can someone explain to me why that is necessary?

Presumably, if someone wants to use Crypto to buy bitcoins, and then use those coins from their wallet account later for anonymous transactions with other vendors, they shouldn't need any physical address (or the person's name, for that matter).

Also, if the vendor can tell someone's physical address information from a bitcoin address, what would prevent any other party from doing the same?

Bit Coin is a scam.

Bitcoin is anonymous

don't use Crypto, use MtGox that's where all 90% of the bitcoin trading happens and they do not ask for your home address.

vendors would have to look thought the block chain to find your the address you loaded the coins two, and then find out from the exchange site which bank account was used to deposit the money used to buy the bitcoin. (not easy thing to do, you'll need a court order to force the exchange site to give away this info.)

if you want you could make it 100% impossible, for anyone to trace you like this, just send the coins to another wallet once you bought them. in that case the they will hit a dead end when trying to trace a transaction back to you.

compare that to a VSIA or paypal payment.

remember when this happened.

Sony Hacked Again; 25 Million Entertainment Users’ Info at Risk

bitcoin make payments safe, and anonymous.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:58:59 PM by AdamStgBit »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

To anyone who heard the Bitcoin discussion on FTL tonight (Sat, Nov 20), if you want to learn more about Bitcoin, a good starting place is WeUseCoins.org.  Also, if you're ready to buy or sell or store them, I recommend CryptoXChange.com

Bit Coin is a scam.

Bitcoin is anonymous

don't use Crypto, use MtGox that's where all 90% of the bitcoin trading happens and they do not ask for your home address.

vendors would have to look thought the block chain to find your the address you loaded the coins two, and then find out from the exchange site which bank account was used to deposit the money used to buy the bitcoin. (not easy thing to do, you'll need a court order to force the exchange site to give away this info.)

if you want you could make it 100% impossible, for anyone to trace you like this, just send the coins to another wallet once you bought them. in that case the they will hit a dead end when trying to trace a transaction back to you.

"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2011, 06:04:35 PM »

I'm a third of the way through that podcast, and its a really good one. I looked at the physical bitcoins, they're so cool. They'd make great christmas presents.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

CaptainWhomp

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

Bitcoin is anonymous

Thanks for the comments. It's still not clear to me how it works. It seems to me that no matter how many transfers you do to how many accounts, it should always be traceable. In fact, the whole bitcoin network as I understand it is built upon the ability to track and record every transaction. But, it's supposedly anonymous, and I'm trying to understand exactly how. Those two things seem to be in contradiction. I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with public/private key encryption so that only the buyer and seller have the records, but the network still must "know" about the transaction.

In other news, I downloaded the bitcoin client, but only because I was hoping to be able to send or receive money with it. But while running it, it seems to be crunching numbers quite a lot. Is it mining? I have no interest in that. Am I completely missing the point of all this?

Thanks.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

Bitcoin is anonymous

Thanks for the comments. It's still not clear to me how it works. It seems to me that no matter how many transfers you do to how many accounts, it should always be traceable. In fact, the whole bitcoin network as I understand it is built upon the ability to track and record every transaction. But, it's supposedly anonymous, and I'm trying to understand exactly how. Those two things seem to be in contradiction. I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with public/private key encryption so that only the buyer and seller have the records, but the network still must "know" about the transaction.

In other news, I downloaded the bitcoin client, but only because I was hoping to be able to send or receive money with it. But while running it, it seems to be crunching numbers quite a lot. Is it mining? I have no interest in that. Am I completely missing the point of all this?

Thanks.

Sounds like you got it completely my friend.  Combine that with the fact that it's a fiat currency and I'd say that's a huge reason to avoid bit coin like the plague.  If you really want to do anonymous transactions, use cash in person.  There's really no such thing as anonymous on the internet.

AdamStgBit

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »

Bitcoin is anonymous

Thanks.

a the wiki page that explains bitcoin Anonymity

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity

Bitcoin is in Beta
you may want to wait a few years for bitcoin 1.0 to come out, Anonymity might be built-in by then
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:12:18 PM by AdamStgBit »

Lothar

• View Profile
"Blockchain" app, & "How to Buy Bitcoins Anonymously"
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2012, 01:52:58 AM »

"Blockchain" app:  http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blockchain/id493253309?mt=8

&

"How to Buy Bitcoins Anonymously in the US, Instantly"

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2012/04/how-to-buy-bitcoins-anonymously-in-the-us-instantly/

"An anonymous member of the Bitcoin community has contributed these wonderful instructions detailing 6 simple steps to buying Bitcoins with near anonymity in the US.

• • •

Step 1.

Download and install TOR from https://www.torproject.org/
Step 2.

While using TOR create a Tormail account at http://jhiwjjlqpyawmpjx.onion
You can confirm the address at http://tormail.org/
Step 3.

While using TOR, visit http://www.bitinstant.com
Step 4.

Choose the Cash deposit to Bitcoin to email option.

Step 5.

Follow the instructions on Bitinstant to make your cash deposit, and have your Bitcoins sent to your new Tormail account.
No ID is needed.

Step 6.

Receive your Bitcoins via email.

And voila.  Now you can use your anonymous e-mail account and anonymous bitcoins to buy goods and services online, truly anonymously."

Lothar

• View Profile
ZeroCoin - Supposedly anonymous transactions.
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/ZeroCoin/

Zerocoin is not intended as a replacement for Bitcoin. It's actually a separate anonymous currency that's designed to live side-by-side with Bitcoin on the same block chain. Zerocoins are fully exchangeable on a one-to-one basis with bitcoins, which means (in principle) you can use them with existing merchants.

Zerocoins themselves can be thought of literally as coins. They're issued in a fixed denomination (for example, 1 BTC), and any user can purchase a zerocoin in exchange for the correct quantity of bitcoin. This purchase is done by placing a special new 'Zerocoin Mint' transaction onto the block chain.

Once a Mint transaction has been accepted by the Bitcoin peers, the same user can later redeem her zerocoin back into bitcoins. She simply embeds a (preferably new) destination Bitcoin address into a 'Zerocoin Spend' transaction, then sends it into the network. If the transaction checks out, the Bitcoin peers will treat it just like a normal Bitcoin transfer -- meaning that she'll receive the full bitcoin value of the coin (minus transaction fees) at the destination address.

Now you're probably wondering what any of this has to do with privacy. To explain that, I need to give you one more piece of information:

Aside from educated guesswork, there's no way to link a Zerocoin Mint transaction to the Zerocoin Spend transaction that redeems it.

Redeeming a zerocoin gives you a completely different set of bitcoins than the ones you used to purchase it. In fact, you can think of Zerocoin like the world's biggest laundry -- one that can handle millions of users, has no trusted party, and can't be compromised. Once as user converts her bitcoins into zerocoins, it's very hard to determine where she took them back out. Their funds are mixed up with all of the other users who also created zerocoins. And that's a pretty powerful guarantee.

-Matthew Green

I just read the following in a thread called "Explain it like I'm 10";

Multiple people all put exactly 1 bitcoin in a shared pool. And when someone wants to spend their bitcoin they grab a completely different coin from the pool. But that transaction is only valid when you provide anonymous proof that you also put 1 bitcoin in the pool, and did not already take 1 out already.

This of course also works with other denominations (like 10 BTC, 100 BTC or 0.1 BTC etc.)

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »

While we are all so amped over bitcoin, maybe it would be a good idea to read how we weree all reacting when this all started. SITREP: As of now I agree with Shaw's additude in this thread. The Chinese government seems to like them and the US government isn't criticising them much either, therefore I am not comfortable. As of this writing, they are over 1000 bucks.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Bitcoin

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 33 queries.