Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Big O's speech to the schoolkids
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big O's speech to the schoolkids  (Read 3442 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Big O's speech to the schoolkids
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »

My son was home from school today (not related to the speech BTW), and so we watched the speech together while sitting on the couch. I figured with all the talk going on about it, might be a good chance to show him a little more about how it all works.

There was nothing at all controversial or indoctrinating about the speech. If anything, it was as dull as any other speech and as predictable. Maybe I missed something though, if you think I did feel free to point it out.

One criticism would be that the speech included nothing at all regarding the kids who are already doing well in school- the ones who do learn, do study and are successful. Another criticism would be the lack of mentioning anything about homeschoolers.

All in all it was a dud so I'm totally missing why everyone on the left is considering this some sort of victory while some on the right are horrified that the guy spoke to their kids (this is based on facebook comments btw).
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Big O's speech to the schoolkids
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »

This was just another engineered controversy. The damn Republicans jump on anything they can and blow it way out of proportion.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

Then again, maybe it was designed to get the parents to 'tune out' for later efforts.

:shock: 8)
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »

I objected to the speech being shown in public schools because I think the "indoctrination" charge is true on one level-- nothing is true just because the president says it, and kids need to realize that-- which was oddly exemplified by the really loud people making precisely that charge.  They are ironic evidence of their own allegation.  Their problem is not that showing the president's speech in public schools is indoctrination; it's that it's not indoctrination they agree  with.  George H.W. Bush did the same thing in 1991; Reagan in 1986.  Bush's speech was actually very similar to the one Obama made today, basically telling students to stay in school and study hard; Reagan's was a full-on advertisement for his administration and its policies.  Democrats objected to Bush's speech at the time, but on the basis that it was using government funding and they saw it as a promotion of his own campaign.  Are the people screaming about Obama's speech even aware of all this?  I doubt it. 

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:18:06 AM »

I think it was a made up controversy by the right as well.  It was boring typical, "it's cool to stay in school," speech.   I think the parents that made a big deal out of it did their kids a huge disservice.  Now those kids will be singled out by teachers and other students for more intense indoctrination.  A smart parent would have recorded the speech and reviewed it with their kids if there was anything in it that might have been considered political.   Most kids are like their parents are very A-political and wouldn't have given it much thought.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »

Made-up speech, there are a lot more things to get on Obama's back about besides a boring speech to schoolchildren.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »

Are the people screaming about Obama's speech even aware of all this?  I doubt it. 

Of course they're aware of it. They know that Reagan and the Bushes (and other presidents) have done the exact same thing.

Of course, these people also know that Obama was born in Hawaii, yet that doesn't stop them from accusing Obama of having a time machine, going back in time, and planting birth announcements in news papers and fake birth certificates in state vaults.

The Republicans are turning into a fringe party and are just being desperate.

$signature not defined.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »

Seems to happen to whichever "team" doesn't win the superbowl... I mean, presidential election.
Meh. It'd be almost funny except for the fact that both teams want to bring the iron fist down on
whatever part of life they don't like.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »

Obama could walk across the street and the Republicans would complain about the way he swings his arms.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »

Obama discouraged kids from playing Xbox.  I know he brought a Wii to the White House.  Maybe he is just trying to cause trouble among the videogame fanboys?
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »

Obama discouraged kids from playing Xbox.  I know he brought a Wii to the White House.  Maybe he is just trying to cause trouble among the videogame fanboys?

He just wants to get you banned from Live for using a modchip.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »

He just wants to get you banned from Live for using a modchip.

I don't have Live Gold or a modchip.  In fact, my Xbox 360 isn't even hooked up to the internet.  I still haven't even bought a game for it.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »

obama is the most boring black guy ever.
Do yourself a favor.

Changed My Mind

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:50:29 AM »

I think it was a made up controversy by the right as well.  It was boring typical, "it's cool to stay in school," speech.   I think the parents that made a big deal out of it did their kids a huge disservice.  Now those kids will be singled out by teachers and other students for more intense indoctrination.  A smart parent would have recorded the speech and reviewed it with their kids if there was anything in it that might have been considered political.   Most kids are like their parents are very A-political and wouldn't have given it much thought.

every day a child stays out of public school the better.  But you're right, those kids that stayed in school will never get made fun of.  Let's make one thing perfectly clear.  If kids can find something to make fun of, they will.  That kid that stayed home. . .might get made fun of because he didn't come listen to douchebag obama's speech.  If he went to school that day, he'd instead be made fun of because he had glasses or had missing teeth.

A smart parent doesn't feel the need to let some guy on their screen to tell them about staying in government school.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Big O's speech to the schoolkids

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.