Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Best remedy for a head cold?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best remedy for a head cold?  (Read 35015 times)

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
Re: Best remedy for a head cold?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:02:56 AM »

If you have eucalyptus, make some tea out of it. You can probably get it at the organic foods section of a major grocery store. Sweeten it with honey*, and add about a half-shot of whiskey per two cups.

*The honey only works if it was made in your area, and only if you've been in your area for a few years. This has to do with your body syncing with the antihistamines and antiseptic qualities of local pollen. You can find a more scientific explanation, I'm sure.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

bad_cab

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »

Drink a lot of water. Think a gallon an hour for four or five hours. Then take a nap when you wake up you should be fine.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:12 AM »

Now I'm shuffling from the fridge to the pisser all the time :)

Thanks for the local honey idea, I'd forgotten about that. My grandparents soaked Ginseng root in whiskey and added local honey. That was their rememdy.. but I'm working so not drinking just yet. And the Alka Seltzer cold stuff has me a little loopy. And I don't have any Ginseng.. but still got the whiskey!

Also- hadn't thought about caffeine in the tea.. been downing that stuff.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

BonerJoe

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »

Drink a lot of water. Think a gallon an hour for four or five hours. Then take a nap when you wake up you should be fine.

You'd probably be dead from elecrolyte imbalance if you drank that much water in a short period of time.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »

You'd probably be dead from elecrolyte imbalance if you drank that much water in a short period of time.

This.  And puking from water intoxication. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

trollfreezone

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »

Now that you mention it, sometimes my wife boils ginger tea (I.E., boils water with ginger root in it), adds sugar and has me drink it.  It soothes the throat, loosens the sinuses, warms and hydrates all at the same time.

shawn

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

I had a head cold that turned into nasty sinus problems recently.  I used SinuCleanse ($15 at local pharmacy) a few times and my sinuses cleared up in a few days.  You could give that a try.  A Neti Pot is the same thing and is available at Walmart I think.

trollfreezone

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »

I had a head cold that turned into nasty sinus problems recently.  I used SinuCleanse ($15 at local pharmacy) a few times and my sinuses cleared up in a few days.  You could give that a try.  A Neti Pot is the same thing and is available at Walmart I think.

Neti Pot?  Is this a pot with something in it you buy whole?  Sorry, don't mean to be a smartass--it just seems like an odd name.

bad_cab

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

I do it whenever I get sick, but I am six foot tall 175lbs. So if you are a smaller person you might want to adjust.

Alex Libman

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »

Got a head cold? Get rid of the head. Then you'll just be cold.
If that doesn't help you feel at least a little bit more human, you can always move on to Madame Guillotine.

:lol:

Decapitation cures all ills!

Seriously, Vitamin C megadosage works for me.  (Assuming you're not pregnant of course.)  Take supplements and drink lots of juices.  My mom used to make this hot pulpy cranberry drink when I was a kid.  Avoid anything that'll dehydrate you, especially alcohol.  It's like evicting rioters from a convention hall: first you need security guards (your immune system) to surround them, and then you need to push them out.  The fastest way any poison or virus leaves your body is urine.  The second fastest is sweat, but the latter isn't good if you have heart problems.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:12:57 PM by Alex Libman »

Riddler

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »

Call me in the morning. 

denis leary has the best bit about nyquil.....
............."it should say on the bottle, 'don't make any fuckin' plans"

Riddler

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »

whiskey w/ honey & fresh squeezed lemon
-blink it in the micro & badda bing.......off to the races

shawn

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »

Neti Pot?  Is this a pot with something in it you buy whole?  Sorry, don't mean to be a smartass--it just seems like an odd name.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:15:21 AM by shawn »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »

The Neti Pots are a sort of tea pot thing to flush out the nose. I haven't tried one, but I wouldn't mind.. I sometimes just look into the water coming out of the shower and get some in the nose that way.

For those who may still be concerned (thank you lovely dears) -

A Vics Inhaler did a great job of clearing up the sinuses.. once I could get a bit of air in, the inhaler was great.

Ricolla took care of the sore/scratchy throat.

Whisky, warm water and local honey seemed to do a great deal of good- but by the time I tried that my condition may have been on the upswing.

The demon attempted to invade my lungs, and caused some alarm when I began coughing stuff up.. but that went away in a day or so.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Riddler

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »

The Neti Pots are a sort of tea pot thing to flush out the nose. I haven't tried one, but I wouldn't mind.. I sometimes just look into the water coming out of the shower and get some in the nose that way.

For those who may still be concerned (thank you lovely dears) -

A Vics Inhaler did a great job of clearing up the sinuses.. once I could get a bit of air in, the inhaler was great.

Ricolla took care of the sore/scratchy throat.

Whisky, warm water and local honey seemed to do a great deal of good- but by the time I tried that my condition may have been on the upswing.

The demon attempted to invade my lungs, and caused some alarm when I began coughing stuff up.. but that went away in a day or so.

so does an 8-ball
costs a wee bit more, tho
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Best remedy for a head cold?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.