Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Beating the DP Issue to Death. Someone please help me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beating the DP Issue to Death. Someone please help me.  (Read 24938 times)

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
Beating the DP Issue to Death. Someone please help me.
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »

I am not arguing in favor of the death penalty and I really only want to focus on one specific issue surrounding it.

Can someone please explain to me why it is ok to put an innocent person in jail for the rest of his/her life (never letting them go) and not ok to kill him/her?

Yes, SOME of those innocent people will be let out of jail early and given compensation, but SOME of them won’t. Do you get my point? I’ll write it again using different words. If you want rights violators to be put in jail, or be forced to pay compensation, SOME of them will be innocent and will never, ever be found not guilty. Their lives will virtually be destroyed.

There is no way to guarantee that ALL people who are killed are truly guilty, just like there is no way to ensure that ALL people who go to jail until they die a “natural” death are guilty.

I would prefer to be enslaved in prison over being killed. I think. But I can’t find a principled difference between the two options. Of course, I could say, “Death is permanent! And wrongly convicted persons in jail can be set free.” But for SOME innocent people, jail will be as permanent as death.

Links about this topic would be great, if anyone knows of a scholar or two who has tackled this issue. Though, I really only want to discuss this specific point in the death penalty debate.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

SeanD

• View Profile
Re: Beating the DP Issue to Death. Someone please help me.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »

If someone in jail is found to be innocent they can be released.

If someone is put to death and is found to be innocent they are still dead.

Death is final and can not be corrected at a later date.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »

If someone in jail is found to be innocent they can be released.

If someone is put to death and is found to be innocent they are still dead.

Death is final and can not be corrected at a later date.

Did you read my post? I'm happy that innocent people "can" be released. That is super neat-o. But not all of them WILL be released. Do you understand what my point is?

Again, jail is just as "final" for some innocent people as death. Meaning, they will never experience freedom again. Yes, some innocents will be set free. I agree. Just like some people who are ordered to death will be set free prior to the lethal injection.

Do you understand that there will be innocent people who will spend the rest of their lives in prison? I understand that there will be innocent people who are put to death. But lets not pretend that innocent people don't go to prison and never come out.

Both of these punishments WILL be used against innocent people who are never, ever, ever, ever compensated.

Please address why it is acceptable to put innocent people in jail for the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:05:11 PM by Tom Foppiano »

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »

Why would I find jailing innocents for life acceptable?  NOBODY in the other thread ever said that either. 

You are trying to find someone to back an untenable position.  You have truly won the argument - IN the Charley Sheen type Winning.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

Why would I find jailing innocents for life acceptable?  NOBODY in the other thread ever said that either. 

You are trying to find someone to back an untenable position.  You have truly won the argument - IN the Charley Sheen type Winning.

I have no idea what the Charley Sheen thing means. I'm guessing that you're claiming my logic is inconsistent and nonsensical, like that of a drug addict.

Anyways, I'm "trying to back someone into an untenable position" because the position held by Mark and others on FTL is untenable.

Lets try this again. Mark, and callers on FTL said they do not support the death penalty, in part, because it results in the killing of innocent people. Then Mark went a little further and said people who support the death penalty support killing innocent people. That was absolutely said. Check it out.

Yet, why don't people who support prison sentences support enslaving innocent people for the rest of their lives?

You don't see a logical disconnect here? I don't know of too many more ways to write this......

If you're against the death penalty and pro life in prison, fine! More power to you. Lets have a party, invite Charley Sheen and your meth dealer. But if you say that capital punishment advocates support killing innocents, then you must claim that you support enslaving innocents.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

It took me several posts like this to realize you're trolling us. That's really embarrassing for me.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

It took me several posts like this to realize you're trolling us. That's really embarrassing for me.

I googled "troll" and wiki says that trolls try to provoke an "emotional response." That is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to provoke a rational response.

Isn't that what this discussion board is for? To discuss liberty issues?

Or maybe the forum is for all of us liberty people to just pat each other on the back and echo each other's views. The best way, IMO, to arrive at correct libertarian positions is hold them up to the light and inspect them. To have libertarians hash it out and let the consistent, principled views rise to the top. I inspected a few things about the death penalty and disagreed with them. That is all.

If you want to send me a message or something to let me know what I did wrong, I'd be happy to consider changing my approach.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

Or maybe the forum is for all of us liberty people to just pat each other on the back and echo each other's views.

Yeah, I agree.

Great job!!!
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »

Or maybe the forum is for all of us liberty people to just pat each other on the back and echo each other's views.

Yeah, I agree.

Great job!!!

High five!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »

Yeah, I agree.

Great job!!!

High five!
I approve this message.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »

Yeah, I agree.

Great job!!!

High five!
I approve this message.

You feel a couple of manly pats on your back when a fellow libertarian suddenly utters, "Nice work."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

Choice of cage type prison (Some may choose this after considering both options.) or free range penal colonies.

Next issue.

P.S. - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell just called, they have some serious questions.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Nik from Illinois

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »

I can see his point. It makes sense to me. I can't really think of any way to explain it that's clearer than what he's already said, though. I guess I'll try.

Mark Edge said that people who support the death penalty are "supporting the killing of innocent people" because inevitably there will be a wrong conviction which will not be overturned in time, resulting in an innocent man getting executed. By that same logic, though, anyone who supports lifetime imprisonment could be said to support the lifetime imprisonment of innocent people because inevitably there will be a wrong conviction which will not be overturned in time before that person dies in prison.

This is not some kind of argument in favor of the death penalty or anything, it's just a specific criticism of a particular (inflammatory) thing Mark said which I've never heard any other anti-DP person say anyway.

blackie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:13:57 AM »

Choice of cage type prison (Some may choose this after considering both options.) or free range penal colonies.
Nice. Choice of rape cage or rape colony.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 02:36:11 AM »

Nice. Choice of rape cage or rape colony.

Not bad choices really, considering they took everything someone ever had away from them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Beating the DP Issue to Death. Someone please help me.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.