Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  BBS FAIL
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BBS FAIL  (Read 32491 times)

Bill Brasky

Re: BBS FAIL
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 09:29:28 PM »

Mentioned that, twice.

The difference is, your FB is kinda like your actual persona.

Here, you have the luxury of some anonymity.  People get fired for being assholes on FB.  They can't always talk about being politically active or discuss things at such great length.  They can't post pictures or videos in the middle of threads as easily.  There are certain things that make this forum more attractive, and exploit certain flaws of FB's design. 

Threads here can remain active for months.  On FB, that's impossible.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »

Shaw, which threads would you keep?

<<<Was eating dinner

EDITED - Here's some thread titles.

Last movie you've watched

Free Thought Association Game

What Video Games Are You Currently playing?

Excellent breasts.

Chaos is the only sensible answer. [TSFW] Cthulhu is awake!!!

Music

Jokes

Drama in the Free State

Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

What are you drinking tonight?

I can give you links if you want. All of these threads have at least ten thousand views and many hundreds of posts.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:56:48 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

BonerJoe

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »

Really John, the CA thread? Are you trolling me?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »

Really John, the CA thread? Are you trolling me?

Uh, nope. I was just thinking of threads that had a lot of volume.

That thread is pretty much a shitstorm though? To be honest I almost never looked at it.

So mebbe nix that one? *Shrug*

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »

Additional note -

I have been told by three people in the last couple hours that if the changes I have suggested were enacted they would become more regular BBS users.

One of whom is my wife, conditionally.

If she becomes a regular member because she feels fairly safe from attack, I imagine thousands of posts about all kinds of useful and crafty things, cool Halloween stuff, maybe more guns, all sorts of shit.

She'd be bringing wimmins content that will attract more cool people.

I like. Both the breakdown of threads and level of moderation, and having your wife hang out on the board, too.

For a long time I was only checking in once or twice a week at most, often without posting. More women would bring back civility - if only in some threads. And... more conversations and fun stuff free of flame wars will probably bring in more women.

The difference is, your FB is kinda like your actual persona.

Here, you have the luxury of some anonymity.  People get fired for being assholes on FB.  They can't always talk about being politically active or discuss things at such great length. 

Absolutely. There are discussions I can get into here and thoughts I can express which will NEVER be on FB. Two of my children are on FB, my mom is on FB, and all the people I have to deal with on a daily basis are on FB. My good friends hear me spout some of my less common (in bible-belt suburbia, at least) opinions on camping trips and at smaller BBQs, but there is no way in hell I want to get into any real discussions with most of my neighbors and fellow PTA board members.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »

My main beef with FB and G+ are that conversations don't seem to last long. I like that with a message board a conversation can go for months or years and people can drop in and out with their comments, and you occasionally get fresh blood with something constructive or fun to say.

Facebook conversations drop away too quickly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:28:43 PM by John Shaw »

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 10:30:17 PM »

Yep.  Facebook blows for real communication - where you don't want your posts to be missed by those who should see them.  Nothing beats a good forum.

Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »

As per Brasky's suggestion, the whole BBS is now a HFZ.  Only shithead and "no reporting posts" user classes can not delete any reply to threads they post.  All regular and AMP users now have total control over their threads, board-wide.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »

I think Green Bastard is right but if you're looking to save the BBS and hope for the best then do as Shaw suggests.

Consistency in applying the rules kinda makes sense. If nigger can't be typed then redneck, chink, kike, faggot, etc. shouldn't be typed either. Not bringing this up to troll, but its a reason I haven't been visiting as much.. makes the BBS feel like just another PC zone on the net where double standards are enjoyed. The main draw of this BBS was that it had a certain amount of "free-for-all", usually in good spirit. That's been gone for some time now.

I also hadn't thought much of it, but now that it's been mentioned I do recall the hosts referring to the BBS as "full of trolls".. a place where the "kids can play in their sandbox", etc. Can't imagine many new listeners would be eager to sign up after hearing that.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »

Shaw,

Would you like to propose a new TOS?

Here's our current one:
http://bbs.freetalklive.com/announcements/read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions/msg79935/#msg79935

Sure, gimmie a few minutes to put something together.

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »

The threads from HFZ have been moved to General and HFZ has been deleted, as the whole BBS is now an HFZ.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »

Who's the fuckin asshole who unplugged nigger from the filter?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »

I think Green Bastard is right but if you're looking to save the BBS and hope for the best then do as Shaw suggests.

Consistency in applying the rules kinda makes sense. If nigger can't be typed then redneck, chink, kike, faggot, etc. shouldn't be typed either. Not bringing this up to troll, but its a reason I haven't been visiting as much.. makes the BBS feel like just another PC zone on the net where double standards are enjoyed. The main draw of this BBS was that it had a certain amount of "free-for-all", usually in good spirit. That's been gone for some time now.

I also hadn't thought much of it, but now that it's been mentioned I do recall the hosts referring to the BBS as "full of trolls".. a place where the "kids can play in their sandbox", etc. Can't imagine many new listeners would be eager to sign up after hearing that.

Look, dickface.. 

You can't put every word into the filter.  Nobody abuses Jap.  Nobody abuses "kike".  When was the last time you saw anybody actually say kike? 

You are part of the problem.  You are fucking obsessed, and it doesn't speak well of you for spending so much time thinking about it.

You spent a LONG time trying to shake off the racist stereotype that was (I thought) unjustly applied to you.  Now I realize (about a month ago) I was wrong for defending you.  You've got a massive load of shit in your head, fella.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »

Look, dickface.. 

You can't put every word into the filter.  Nobody abuses Jap.  Nobody abuses "kike".  When was the last time you saw anybody actually say kike? 

You are part of the problem.  You are fucking obsessed, and it doesn't speak well of you for spending so much time thinking about it.

You spent a LONG time trying to shake off the racist stereotype that was (I thought) unjustly applied to you.  Now I realize (about a month ago) I was wrong for defending you.  You've got a massive load of shit in your head, fella.

I be working on a new TOS that covers all of this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  BBS FAIL

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.