Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Baby steps - slowly persuading
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby steps - slowly persuading  (Read 2827 times)

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
Baby steps - slowly persuading
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

I have a friend who is a longtime card-carrying Republican Party member (not just a registered republican) who believes in fiscal conservatism, low taxes, blah blah blah. We were having a sort of back and forth about illegal immigration because he (like so many others) was on the wrong side of it. I think my short argument might have gotten in there somewhere, then I let it go. I left it where we agreed that the welfare spigot needs to be turned off.

I then sent him a separate message saying

Since you are a dyed in the wool Republican, and won't consider leaving the GOP, check out the Republican Liberty Caucus

His response was:

As of 2.13.08, 6:34am, I am a registered member of the RLC-CA.

Thanks for the tip.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Baby steps - slowly persuading
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

I love the RLC. There are so many Republicans who are disgusted with the party, are definitely not in agreement with the Democratic platform, and have the typical 'stoner' opinion of the Libertarians. The RLC is the perfect place to go.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

jimmed

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »

I love the RLC. There are so many Republicans who are disgusted with the party, are definitely not in agreement with the Democratic platform, and have the typical 'stoner' opinion of the Libertarians. The RLC is the perfect place to go.

The RLC is nothing but an agency to try and persuade libertarians to vote for dumb-ass normal Republican candidates. Their history speaks for itself.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »

I would much prefer that the Republican party crash and burn completely. That way all of the Republicans capable of individual thought might actually find themselves exercising that ability.

Still, I called this post "Baby steps" because the road to liberty can be a long one. There was a time when I called myself a Republican and it took me a long time (and Harry Brown) before I realized that the GOP was part of the problem - not the solution. I satisfy myself with starting pointing people in the right direction occasionally and coming back to give them a nudge once in a while. That, and I help them with their heating and AC problems.  :)
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:43:53 AM »

The RLC is nothing but an agency to try and persuade libertarians to vote for dumb-ass normal Republican candidates. Their history speaks for itself.

I think they have done more than the Libertarian party as far as bringing about actual positive change.

Still, I called this post "Baby steps" because the road to liberty can be a long one. There was a time when I called myself a Republican and it took me a long time (and Harry Brown) before I realized that the GOP was part of the problem - not the solution. I satisfy myself with starting pointing people in the right direction occasionally and coming back to give them a nudge once in a while. That, and I help them with their heating and AC problems.  :)

I don't know if I agree with you. The road to liberty is really only based on logic and evidence. If they want to ignore the theory, they can, but I think they genuinely want the best from their future, and if they are honest with themselves about that, perhaps they will benefit from AdvanceTheArgument.com.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:07:49 AM »

I would much prefer that the Republican party crash and burn completely. That way all of the Republicans capable of individual thought might actually find themselves exercising that ability.

I went to RLC before LP, so that's definitely a good direction to point people like him in.  Good work.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Dave The Dope Man

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:47:25 AM »

I'm hoping that future generations become more open minded and less boxed into a "party".  Take all the good ideas from each party minus the bad ones and this country will be a better place.

jimmed

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »

I think they have done more than the Libertarian party as far as bringing about actual positive change.

Evidence?

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:21:04 AM »

I'm hoping that future generations become more open minded and less boxed into a "party".  Take all the good ideas from each party minus the bad ones and this country will be a better place.

Awesome ideas. Humanity is not limited to the feeble understanding of the world that our ancestors faced. We now have the ability to communicate with others to such a degree that our knowledge has expanded from wanting to be evidence based to a crystallized form of Ultimate knowledge agnosticism. I am confident if we come across even more advanced life forms, we will have the same name for our ideas.

Agnosticism: There is possibility?
My View: There is possibility.

Until you accept the probability that I am right, you will die before we advance humanity.

Evidence?

Ron Paul.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:24:04 AM by MobileDigit »
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

rabidfurby

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »

I am confident if we come accross even more advanced life forms, we will have the same name for our ideas.

I think that if we do ever come across intelligent life, anything more than the most superficial of similarities would be astonishing. Sharing names for the same thing seems so unlikely as to be statistically impossible.

Evidence?

Ron Paul.

I don't think Ron Paul can be attributed to the RLC. Sure, he's their most prominent member, but correlation is not causation. What success he did have is due far more to his base of dedicated activists than anything else.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »

I am confident if we come across even more advanced life forms, we will have the same name for our ideas.
I think that if we do ever come across intelligent life, anything more than the most superficial of similarities would be astonishing. Sharing names for the same thing seems so unlikely as to be statistically impossible.

You don't think there are universal languages and ideas based upon mathematics?

Evidence?
Ron Paul.
I don't think Ron Paul can be attributed to the RLC. Sure, he's their most prominent member, but correlation is not causation. What success he did have is due far more to his base of dedicated activists than anything else.

He is a member of the caucus, and if he achieves liberty, then the caucus has achieved liberty.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Baby steps - slowly persuading

// ]]>

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.