Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  ATTN: Computer Geeks
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTN: Computer Geeks  (Read 2082 times)

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
ATTN: Computer Geeks
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »

I was wondering why there is not a Iphone app that could intergrate with a current restaurants POINT OF SALE program like MICROS, so that waiters could use their Iphones to access their restaurants POS at the table?  Could a generic app be made to tap into the POS network and customized to their specific menu?

Discuss

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: ATTN: Computer Geeks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »

I don't know anything about MICROS or POS, but -

Does it have to be a native iPhone app, or can it be just a common Web-based system that can be accessed via an iPhone or any other Internet-capable device?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »

It wouldn't have to be native to iPhone, I just would like to be able to us my iPhone, or any other smart phone, to tap into my restaurants POS to bypass writing down an order on paper and then re-entering into the computer.  I would think I could skip a step and take the order on my phone and tap into the POS network and send my order to the kitchen.  Seemingly I'd need a programmer to write an app or make a web based app to do this?  I think if a generic app could be written to accomplish this there would be a huge market for restaurants to buy it, but what the fuck do I know?

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:51:29 AM »

Then it could be a web app with a very sparse interface so that it's easily manipulated on the iPhone screen.  Written properly, it could probably be manipulated on the screen of most web enabled cellphones.  There's a product called Omnis Studio that has an interface for Palm.  Don't know anything about the Palm interface, but Omnis Studio for enterprise computer systems works very well.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »

Sounds great.  I know I'd use it.  I'd really appreciate being able to communicate with the restaurant as a customer and bypass the stupid asshole waiter who rarely gets a fucking thing right.  Then they can just hustle my shit out with a server, I can pay through the app, and walk away without waiting for a check or bother with any tipping.  

That app would be a godsend.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »

I searched around and found that theres a burrito rest. that uses an iphone app for to go orders b/c they always have huge lines. 

blackie

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

http://www.micros.com/Products/MobileMICROS/mobile-restaurant-pos.htm
MICROS is proud to offer its third generation handheld solution, the Mobile MICROS Handheld point-of-sale terminal. The solution has been created specifically for the restaurant industry and is fully integrated with our 3700 and 9700 Point-of-Sale Systems.

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:27 AM »

Because most waiters don't have Iphones, it's an entry level position.
Also, I don't think managers would allow it.
Finally and most of all, most waiters don't know how to program and thus can't create an application, and if they could they would be working on tougher problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  ATTN: Computer Geeks

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.