Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Attis' Brainstorm Sessions (aka Bullshit Sessions) for Liberty(tm)!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attis' Brainstorm Sessions (aka Bullshit Sessions) for Liberty(tm)!  (Read 1201 times)

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile

Anyways, sorry for the crass title of the thread, but I wanted to make it clear that most of what I will post in here is either incomplete or rubbish, but it's focused on tossing around ideas on the matter of promoting personal liberty (and responsibility).

My first idea is to try to get the idea of liberty (from a naturalistic/metaphysical position) on the minds of scientists and scholars. Why do I think it's important to focus on the literati/intellectuals is the fact that these folks make up the bulk of textbook authors, thus have a direct line to every student from elementary to college (under/graduate) in the country (and possibly the world to a lesser extent).

One particular area I think that should be focused upon is the life sciences because it's here where the ideas of Malthus got applied to biological evolution (aka natural selection). It's here where often many discoveries on living things and the systems they make up (environment, themselves, and other species) seem to justify a previously assumed wrong position in economics (such as laissez faire positions).

To a lesser extent, I think physicists should be considered as valid targets for persuasion too because many of their own theories suggest or justify emergent order sans Prime Mover, thus their ideas may have a wider range of impact than the life sciences (even though their work has rarely had any interdisciplinary interactions).

Anyways, that's my first proposal, see what you make of it, see what you can topple or justify.

Peace.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Attis' Brainstorm Sessions (aka Bullshit Sessions) for Liberty(tm)!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »

Life sciences are a great place to target in the Universities.  Especially since we're being bombarded by Universal Health Care nutters who figured out the same thing as you did.  AMSA is such a joke, but they're like the only pre-professional club option for an undergrad pre-med student in college at most universities.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Attis' Brainstorm Sessions (aka Bullshit Sessions) for Liberty(tm)!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 31 queries.