Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  As a FedEx employee, I found this refreshing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: As a FedEx employee, I found this refreshing  (Read 8212 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
As a FedEx employee, I found this refreshing
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:51:52 AM »

http://reason.tv/video/show/whiteboard

(Especially the part where the UPS guy catches on fire ;) )

From what management has told us, the labor laws that govern FedEx were designed for railroad companies as a way to keep one station from going on strike and disrupting a national transporation network (national security, jabber jabber...).  Right now, for FedEx to go union, the whole company has to go union at the same time.  Individual stations cannot unionize.  UPS wants the labor laws it works under to be applied to FedEx, even though it's a trucking company, and FedEx is an airline company (I get the airline employee's discount on travel from the passenger airlines even though I drive a van all day).
For God and Free Trade

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: As a FedEx employee, I found this refreshing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:53:33 AM »

Hey I just spotted that on youtube yesterday :) cool.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:54:14 AM »

I'm never using UPS again.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »

I used to work at UPS and they force everyone to unionize, and some still got crappy pay and benefits, nor did the union do anything to protect the workers. they got fired just as easily as everyone else, if the pacage delivery guys were too slow delivering packages 1 day they could get demoted easily and get in trouble if they get in a accident even if its not their fault .

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »

I used to work at UPS and they force everyone to unionize, and some still got crappy pay and benefits, nor did the union do anything to protect the workers. they got fired just as easily as everyone else, if the pacage delivery guys were too slow delivering packages 1 day they could get demoted easily and get in trouble if they get in a accident even if its not their fault .

I have never had a manager at FedEx scream in my face or mistreat me in any way.  There is a very definite list of things that you can be fired for ("Falsification" being the chief reason).  I did receive disciplinary action for having too many late deliveries one day, though; and three of these actions within a twelve-month span can result in termination.

The benefits certainly aren't as good as when I started 5 years ago.  Back then, individual health insurance was totally paid for by the company.  Family plans ran to around $90 a month.  Up until 9/11, employees could jump seat to anywhere FedEx flew (I got hired too late to enjoy that benefit).

Accidents are a ticky thing; you can't really get fired, but they kick up a fuss in management.  A lady ran a stop sign one day and hit me; the accident review board (or whatever they're called) came to the conclusion that it was my fault; I should have waited at the stop sign to see if she were going to come to a complete stop before I proceeded through the intersection.  I had to go to courier re-training class for a week.  Which reminds me: if a FedEx guy honks at you, it's probably because he has a courier trainer riding with him.  It's part of the training to honk at people to make sure they see you.

Still, it's not a bad company to work for; I've worked at worse jobs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:02:02 PM by cavalier973 »
For God and Free Trade

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »

UPS is so much cheaper though :(

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »

But they can be annoying to deal with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89frRi8GgGA
For God and Free Trade

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:57:58 AM »

how about DHL?

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:33 AM »

Random thought:  Once like 10,000+ Free Staters move to New Hampshire, some of them may decide to start one or several competing shop-by-proxy service companies.  How that would work is: when shopping online, you don't give the retailer your real name, address, and CC#, you give the billing / shipping address of the proxy service and your prearranged unique "purchase code".  FedEx / UPS / DHL / etc might still be involved, but only in delivering the package to a local distribution hub in NH, which is of course much cheaper for them, and whichever company would do the best job passing those savings to the buyer would obviously get the business.  You can then pick the package up yourself, or have it delivered for an extra fee.  The main benefit of all this would be total anonymity and the ability to make all your purchases in a commodity of your choice (ex. gold), but a side-benefit is that it would allow the proxy company to act like a retailer and negotiate referral deals and bulk discounts with the sellers and the shippers.  The local package delivery side of the business can also be integrated with selling of all the other things rich lazy Free Staters would pay gold to have brought to their door (legal or otherwise).  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:21:18 AM by Alex Libman »

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »

The benefits certainly aren't as good as when I started 5 years ago.  

This is true with most jobs. And, as government ramps up inflation, it's likely to get worse.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

Random thought:  Once like 10,000+ Free Staters move to New Hampshire, some of them may decide to start one or several competing shop-by-proxy service companies.  How that would work is: when shopping online, you don't give the retailer your real name, address, and CC#, you give the billing / shipping address of the proxy service and your prearranged unique "purchase code".  FedEx / UPS / DHL / etc might still be involved, but only in delivering the package to a local distribution hub in NH, which is of course much cheaper for them, and whichever company would do the best job passing those savings to the buyer would obviously get the business.  You can then pick the package up yourself, or have it delivered for an extra fee.  The main benefit of all this would be total anonymity and the ability to make all your purchases in a commodity of your choice (ex. gold), but a side-benefit is that it would allow the proxy company to act like a retailer and negotiate referral deals and bulk discounts with the sellers and the shippers.  The local package delivery side of the business can also be integrated with selling of all the other things rich lazy Free Staters would pay gold to have brought to their door (legal or otherwise).  ;)

To do this, the final customer would list the local delivery company's name as the recipient, and put "In Care Of" their own name with the account number they set up under the local delivery service.  Then make the delivery a "Hold at Location" package, and the delivery company will pick up the packages at the FedEx station, check the local service's account number to determine the address of the final customer.

The Greyhound Bus Company does something like this; we deliver giant boxes to the Bus Depot, and then they deliver it to local residents/businesses.  I don't really know what's in the boxes (possibly luggage; sometimes the boxes are heavy and sometimes not), and I don't know if they deliver the boxes as is, or if they break them open and deliver a lot of smaller boxes...
For God and Free Trade

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »

This is true with most jobs. And, as government ramps up inflation, it's likely to get worse.

What are you talking about?  Inflation makes us rich!  I saw the article on Zimbabwe; the guy was able to get a hold of a Zimbabwe $100 trillion bill.  The guy was a multi-trillionaire!!
For God and Free Trade

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

To do this, the final customer would list the local delivery company's name as the recipient, and put "In Care Of" their own name with the account number they set up under the local delivery service.  Then make the delivery a "Hold at Location" package, and the delivery company will pick up the packages at the FedEx station, check the local service's account number to determine the address of the final customer.

Exactly, and the address doesn't have to contain the final recipient's real name.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »

how about DHL?

DHL does not ship domestic ground anymore.  Therefore it's not useful to most folks anymore.  It's a shame because my work (Luxottica) used to use DHL as our primary carrier, and shipments were always on time, and so was our payroll.  With FedEx, as a corporation, we found that drivers were breaking open our product shipments and stealing merchandise entirely too often for our liking.  Now we use UPS, but I still preferred DHL.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

cavalier973

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »

With FedEx, as a corporation, we found that drivers were breaking open our product shipments and stealing merchandise entirely too often for our liking. 

You're such a whiny baby
For God and Free Trade
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  As a FedEx employee, I found this refreshing

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 32 queries.