Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Apocalyptic horror novel - DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - available now...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Apocalyptic horror novel - DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - available now...  (Read 16728 times)

HOO-HAA

• tattOOed HORROR writer and scowling heathen
    • View Profile
    • DROP DEAD GORGEOUS: tattOOed HORROR novel
Re: Apocalyptic horror novel - DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - available now...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »

...that's another thing I was wondering- has the FTL promo been a sucess?

There was a definite surge in sales during the podcast ads so I reckon they did work. We'll be running them again soon.

Thanks for the interest, hellbilly - I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book.  :D

Riddler

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

send me a free copy.
if you're lucky, i'll write a review.
when frank talks, people listen
koo-koo
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:51:15 PM by The Chairman »

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »

Frank, I've sent you a PM.  :D

Just to let you all know that HORRORBOUND have posted a delightful interview featuring semi-naked pics of my zombified tattooed torso.

Frightened? You should be... Shield your eyes, then click here:

http://www.horrorbound.com/readarticle.php?article_id=55

Oh, and I should mention - I gave Gard a plug in the interview, by default.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »

Last night's show was the first time I realized the announcer guy was saying "Horror's new novel...." I kept thinking he said "Whores new novel."

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »

I've just finished the book a little bit ago, and have to say that I found it was better than I'd hoped. An entirely enjoyable read that definitely held my interest.

Since I'm not really a fan of the Horror genre (Stephen King, Clive Barker, etc.), so I really don't have much to compare this Ill-Literature to- except apocalypse and zombie movies, which I'm a sucker for.

It's almost as if there are two separate stories in the book. The portion introducing and relating the various characters makes up most of this book, which is the first of a series unless I'm mistaken. Personally I would have been satisfied just in reading about the various characters, having their faults and perversions exposed, and how they dealt with the end of the world event- but having them tossed in with a bunch of sexy zombies is a great addition! ( Speaking of the faults and perversions- I felt as if the author were "poking" at me a bit, as if I were somehow like these survivors.. faulty, or guilty of something.. P'shaw! :) )

And fitting this forum a bit, the book does touch on how useless society has made itself, and how no one is very much responsible for themselves anymore- how we rely on and take advantage of the society we've created (that's been created for us?) yet we really don't care for it or one another when it comes down to it. And we might not even really care for ourselves very much.

I don't want to give a play-by-play sort of review, so I'll just say that I really enjoyed it and plan on buying any other books that come along in the series.  ...and that I recommend it to any women that I've never known nor done harm to, but I will not be lending it to my ex, in the event it may "inspire" her.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »

I'm not big into horror, but I think I'll get this one. I've been too long into academic stuff, and this sounds like a good change of scenery.  :)
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »

Cheers, guys - and Hellbilly, I'm really glad you picked up on the libertarian aspects of the book.

Non-horror fans seem to be enjoying DDG. Hell, my girlfriend's mum enjoyed it and she's an English teacher!

So, I posted a copy to Mark - have you had a chance to read it yet, dude?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 09:48:15 PM »

I think you put just enough into it HH- to get people thinking a bit, without making any declarations. I actually did pass it to my ex hehe.. not sure if she's begun reading it yet.

MacFall- hope you do get it. I'd be interested in seeing what some other peeps here think of it.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »

BIG thanks to Elvis for his review of DDG over at HORRORBOUND online:

Drop Dead Gorgeous is a stand out book.

The world ends and everyone drops dead. Only a handful of survivors remain scattered across the globe. However, we are only concerned about what happens in Ireland; specifically, in and around Belfast.

This is an extremely pleasant change. In a genre dominated by the American landscape and the New York skyline in particular, it was awesome being transported to another place. The change was refreshing and the fact that I didn’t have to read invented words to simulate accents was an added bonus.

The author delves into the human condition almost to a fault. The story rolls along oblivious to the fact that it is supposed to be a zombie novel. After a while, you forget about the zombies as you are completely immersed in the trials and tribulations of the characters. Why not?  Isn't  the majority of the population dropping dead in the blink of an eye bad enough? Do these characters really need to worry about zombies as well? In a word: Yes! Bring it on! We want to see people get eaten.

And the author does not let us down.

More people die. Painful and bloody. As it should be.

The Good: Flawed characters. Everyone in the book is a fucking mess. Something that I can’t get enough of.

The Bad: The one thing that was hard to shake for me, because it seems like such a natural, instinctual thing to do, was when none of the characters went home first. People survived. I would definitely want to see if anyone in my family survived as well, even some close friends. None of the characters seemed to consider this. I found it unnatural.

The Paradox: I love zombie books, however, this book could have been written as a non-zombie apocalypse book. The mass extinction of humanity made for an interesting disaster all on its own.

The book was extremely enjoyable. If anyone is looking for a zombie story that branches away from the standard zombie formula, this book is definitely for you. 

Read it in full at:

http://www.horrorbound.com/readarticle.php?article_id=59

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »

The US chain of bookstores, BORDERS, are creating PERMUTED PRESS endcap displays - featuring DROP DEAD GORGEOUS:

Here's one in Kansas:

... and here's one in their New Jersey store:

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »

Congrats to you Mr. HAA

I'll pick it up once I get finished with the ones I'm reading.
Pocho

pete1061

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »

There was also a really funny 'mockumentary' film by the same name.

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »

Congrats to you Mr. HAA

I'll pick it up once I get finished with the ones I'm reading.

Thanks! I'm absolutely delighted that Borders are promoting it so much :D

Also, just to let you all know that the book is available to download via KINDLE:

http://www.amazon.com/Drop-Dead-Gorgeous/dp/B001R4C5C4/ref=ed_oe_k

HOO-HAA

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »

Don't suppose I can get a free copy for saying I've talked to you over the internet?  :P

:lol:

I'd *almost* give you a free copy for having the coolest anarchy symbol as an avatar... but not quite.

Sorry, dude. Man's gotta make a living  8)

patrickj

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 09:41:48 AM »

Looks exciting.  I'm going to do something about my broke-assedness and promptly pick it up.  cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Apocalyptic horror novel - DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - available now...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 33 queries.