Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest  (Read 8467 times)

blackie

AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090924/D9ATCDD80.html
AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest

Sep 23, 9:09 PM (ET)

By DEVLIN BARRETT and JEFFREY McMURRAY

MANCHESTER, Ky. (AP) - A U.S. Census worker found hanged from a tree near a Kentucky cemetery had the word "fed" scrawled on his chest, a law enforcement official said Wednesday, and the FBI is investigating whether he was a victim of anti-government sentiment.

The law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the case and requested anonymity, did not say what type of instrument was used to write the word on the chest of Bill Sparkman, a 51-year-old part-time Census field worker and teacher. He was found Sept. 12 in a remote patch of the Daniel Boone National Forest in rural southeast Kentucky.

The Census Bureau has suspended door-to-door interviews in rural Clay County, where the body was found, pending the outcome of the investigation. An autopsy report is pending.

Investigators have said little about the case. FBI spokesman David Beyer said the bureau is assisting state police and declined to confirm or discuss any details about the crime scene.

"Our job is to determine if there was foul play involved - and that's part of the investigation - and if there was foul play involved, whether that is related to his employment as a Census worker," said Beyer.

Attacking a federal worker during or because of his federal job is a federal crime.

Sparkman's mother, Henrie Sparkman of Inverness, Fla., told The Associated Press her son was an Eagle scout who moved to the area to be a local director for the Boy Scouts of America. She said he later became a substitute teacher in Laurel County and supplemented that income as a Census worker.

She said investigators have given her few details about her son's death - they told her the body was decomposed - and haven't yet released his body for burial. "I was told it would be better for him to be cremated," she said.

Henrie Sparkman said her son's death is a mystery to her.

"I have my own ideas, but I can't say them out loud. Not at this point," she said. "Right now, what I'm doing, I'm just waiting on the FBI to come to some conclusion."

Gilbert Acciardo, a retired Kentucky state trooper who directs an after-school program at the elementary school where Sparkman was a frequent substitute teacher, said he had warned Sparkman to be careful when he did his Census work.

"I told him on more than one occasion, based on my years in the state police, 'Mr. Sparkman, when you go into those counties, be careful because people are going to perceive you different than they do elsewhere,'" Acciardo said.

"Even though he was with the Census Bureau, sometimes people can view someone with any government agency as 'the government.' I just was afraid that he might meet the wrong character along the way up there," Acciardo said.

Acciardo said he became suspicious when Sparkman didn't show up for work at the after-school program for two days and went to police. Authorities immediately initiated an investigation, he said.

"He was such an innocent person," Acciardo said. "I hate to say that he was naive, but he saw the world as all good, and there's a lot of bad in the world."
Lucindia Scurry-Johnson, assistant director of the Census Bureau's southern office in Charlotte, N.C., said law enforcement officers have told the agency the matter is "an apparent homicide" but nothing else.

Census employees were told Sparkman's truck was found nearby, and a computer he was using for work was found inside it, she said. He worked part-time for the Census, usually conducting interviews once or twice a month.

Sparkman has worked for the Census since 2003, spanning five counties in the surrounding area. Much of his recent work had been in Clay County, officials said.
Door-to-door operations have been suspended in Clay County pending a resolution of the investigation, Scurry-Johnson said.

The Census Bureau has yet to begin door-to-door canvassing for the 2010 head count, but it has thousands of field workers doing smaller surveys on various demographic topics on behalf of federal agencies. Next year, the Census Bureau will dispatch up to 1.2 million temporary employees to locate hard-to-find residents.

The Census Bureau is overseen by the Commerce Department.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our co-worker," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with William Sparkman's son, other family and friends."

Locke called him "a shining example of the hardworking men and women employed by the Census Bureau."

Appalachia scholar Roy Silver, a New York City native now living in Harlan County, Ky., said he doesn't sense an outpouring of anti-government sentiment in the region as has been exhibited in town hall meetings in other parts of the country.

"I don't think distrust of government is any more or less here than anywhere else in the country," said Silver, a sociology professor at Southeast Community College.

The most deadly attack on federal workers came in 1995 when the federal building in Oklahoma City was devastated by a truck bomb, killing 168 and injuring more than 680. Timothy McVeigh, who was executed for the bombing, carried literature by modern, ultra-right-wing anti-government authors.

A private group called PEER, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, tracks violence against employees who enforce environmental regulations, but the group's executive director, Jeff Ruch, said it's hard to know about all of the cases because some agencies don't share data on instances of violence against employees.

From 1996 to 2006, according to the group's most recent data, violent incidents against federal Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service workers soared from 55 to 290.

Ruch said that after the 1995 bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City, "we kept getting reports from employees that attacks and intimidation against federal employees had not diminished, and that's why we've been tracking them."

"Even as illustrated in town hall meetings today, there is a distinct hostility in a large segment of the population toward people who work for their government," Ruch said.

"Our job is to determine if there was foul play involved - and that's part of the investigation - and if there was foul play involved, whether that is related to his employment as a Census worker," said Beyer.

Attacking a federal worker during or because of his federal job is a federal crime.

Sparkman's mother, Henrie Sparkman of Inverness, Fla., told The Associated Press her son was an Eagle scout who moved to the area to be a local director for the Boy Scouts of America. She said he later became a substitute teacher in Laurel County and supplemented that income as a Census worker.

She said investigators have given her few details about her son's death - they told her the body was decomposed - and haven't yet released his body for burial. "I was told it would be better for him to be cremated," she said.

Henrie Sparkman said her son's death is a mystery to her.

"I have my own ideas, but I can't say them out loud. Not at this point," she said. "Right now, what I'm doing, I'm just waiting on the FBI to come to some conclusion."

Gilbert Acciardo, a retired Kentucky state trooper who directs an after-school program at the elementary school where Sparkman was a frequent substitute teacher, said he had warned Sparkman to be careful when he did his Census work.

"I told him on more than one occasion, based on my years in the state police, 'Mr. Sparkman, when you go into those counties, be careful because people are going to perceive you different than they do elsewhere,'" Acciardo said.

"Even though he was with the Census Bureau, sometimes people can view someone with any government agency as 'the government.' I just was afraid that he might meet the wrong character along the way up there," Acciardo said.

Acciardo said he became suspicious when Sparkman didn't show up for work at the after-school program for two days and went to police. Authorities immediately initiated an investigation, he said.

"He was such an innocent person," Acciardo said. "I hate to say that he was naive, but he saw the world as all good, and there's a lot of bad in the world."
Lucindia Scurry-Johnson, assistant director of the Census Bureau's southern office in Charlotte, N.C., said law enforcement officers have told the agency the matter is "an apparent homicide" but nothing else.

Census employees were told Sparkman's truck was found nearby, and a computer he was using for work was found inside it, she said. He worked part-time for the Census, usually conducting interviews once or twice a month.

Sparkman has worked for the Census since 2003, spanning five counties in the surrounding area. Much of his recent work had been in Clay County, officials said.
Door-to-door operations have been suspended in Clay County pending a resolution of the investigation, Scurry-Johnson said.

The Census Bureau has yet to begin door-to-door canvassing for the 2010 head count, but it has thousands of field workers doing smaller surveys on various demographic topics on behalf of federal agencies. Next year, the Census Bureau will dispatch up to 1.2 million temporary employees to locate hard-to-find residents.

The Census Bureau is overseen by the Commerce Department.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our co-worker," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with William Sparkman's son, other family and friends."

Locke called him "a shining example of the hardworking men and women employed by the Census Bureau."

Appalachia scholar Roy Silver, a New York City native now living in Harlan County, Ky., said he doesn't sense an outpouring of anti-government sentiment in the region as has been exhibited in town hall meetings in other parts of the country.

"I don't think distrust of government is any more or less here than anywhere else in the country," said Silver, a sociology professor at Southeast Community College.

The most deadly attack on federal workers came in 1995 when the federal building in Oklahoma City was devastated by a truck bomb, killing 168 and injuring more than 680. Timothy McVeigh, who was executed for the bombing, carried literature by modern, ultra-right-wing anti-government authors.

A private group called PEER, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, tracks violence against employees who enforce environmental regulations, but the group's executive director, Jeff Ruch, said it's hard to know about all of the cases because some agencies don't share data on instances of violence against employees.

From 1996 to 2006, according to the group's most recent data, violent incidents against federal Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service workers soared from 55 to 290.

Ruch said that after the 1995 bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City, "we kept getting reports from employees that attacks and intimidation against federal employees had not diminished, and that's why we've been tracking them."

"Even as illustrated in town hall meetings today, there is a distinct hostility in a large segment of the population toward people who work for their government," Ruch said.

Alex Libman 15

Re: AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »

Bravo!

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »

Bravo!

Are you expressing approval of violence?

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:09:35 AM »

Bravo!
Are you expressing approval of violence?

Defensive violence, yes, and one should always torture a government agent before killing it.  Government agents have no souls and are not afraid of death, but skilled application of torture can wear out their brainwashing, thus leaving them vulnerable to further mortal terror.  Merely killing government agents without taking a few weeks to properly torture them first fails to disincentivize future aggression, and thus can cost millions of innocent lives!

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 01:30:17 AM »

What violence.  He was conducting a survey.
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 02:05:25 AM »

A survey funded through theft and backed by brainwashing, fines, and prison.

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 02:35:44 AM »

Maybe we should kill kids too.  After all, they are going to schools funded by theft and coersion, too.

:roll:

Alex, if you can show me someone that this surveyor threatened with any violence, I might agree with you.  And since, in your mind, this killing was justified, I'm sure you already have that evidence.  Would you mind sharing it with us?
Go figure...

RAD!

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:15:16 AM »

I dont agree with this violence however this sort of thing will happen a lot more as the state tries to extract obedience from people who have had enough interference.
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:45 AM »

Maybe we should kill kids too.  After all, they are going to schools funded by theft and coersion, too.

No - children are innocent.  Their parents may be responsible for agreeing to send them in for government brainwashing, but their ability to resist is very limited.  Government's aggression can only be reciprocated onto those who willfully agree to work for government.   (I also stop short of calling OKC bombing a justified act of self-defense - it couldn't have been that hard to find a target without a daycare center on the premises, especially for someone with former military experience.)

Alex, if you can show me someone that this surveyor threatened with any violence, I might agree with you.  [...]

I don't know anyone personally, but the above link does mention fines and jail-time for refusal.  Sure, they might start out by sending polite letters, but sooner or later they'll just Ed Brown you...  :cry:

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:08:24 AM »

I guess we found where NHAT went
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:05:07 AM »

Well duh,  Bureau of Land Management now has the power to confiscate property from people for minor violations like the killing of small game or fishing on public lands.  The incomprehensible hunting season regulations, licensing fees catch many of these people unaware.  They may have lost a job and this the only way they have left to supplement the families food supply.  So when a Fed says that in-spite of the hunting season being correct you are in violation because this particular scrap of land is only open on certain days and this isn't the right day.  Or you have caught a fish which is 1/2 inch too short due to regulation.  I am going to take you truck, your rifle, your fishing equipment and here is a ticket for $500.  Why is it such a mystery that the violent incidents have soared. 

Legally you only have to tell the census worker the number of Adults living at any residence.  Unless the law has changed and I qualify that because the laws do change frequently.  The census is suppose to be only for the purpose of drawing congressional districts.  As far as I know you are not obligated to provide any demographic information not even you name.  I hope some one will look up the current census law to confirm or deny this cause I would like to know what information I am required to provide.

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

Their parents may be responsible for agreeing to send them in for government brainwashing

Well, maybe it's them who should be killed.

I don't know anyone personally,

Then I think it's a bit rash to believe his killing was justified.

I don't know about you, but I think you need a pretty high standard of evidence to believe someone should be killed.

The fact that he works for the government does not mean he has harmed anyone.

I don't know anyone personally, but the above link does mention fines and jail-time for refusal.  Sure, they might start out by sending polite letters, but sooner or later they'll just Ed Brown you...

WHo is "they"?  This Census worker?  If so, please provide evidence.  I'm all for punishing people who actually commit violent acts.  Please point out to me where this Census worker has committed violent acts.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:51:24 AM by theodorelogan »
Go figure...

RAD!

Changed My Mind

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »

who's to say the census worker was even on duty?   Unless you got some evidence.  Either way, unwelcome people on private property do not get a pass because they have a government job.

Killing them was not the answer.  The answer is telling them to fucking leave and if they come back you can explain the punishments.

davann

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

This story and thread reminds me of those stories that came out of the U.S.S.R. right before the collapse of family members of those that worked for government disappearing.

This is an unfortunate story. More then likely this dude was just hoping to bring in a little extra cash and opted to do census work. The unfortunate part was that he was naive, as the story states, and did not understand or see the underlining hatred for gov that is coursing through the populace right now. He did not see that with every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and put himself right int he path of that reaction.

This should be a warning to all those currently parasites and those thinking of becoming one. The times are a changing and a day will come when they have to decide if they are going to be on the right side of things or the wrong. There are those out there that do not apply the NAP in their daily lives and will punish those on the wrong.

Really though, after the whole bail out thing not wanted by 95% or more of the population but passed anyway violence is now inevitable. We are now in that period of waiting for the collective consciousness to realize it.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »

Not helping the cause.

Of course, they may not even be interested in the cause.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  AP source: Hanged Census worker had 'fed' on chest

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.