Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Anyone know of any Libertarian Bands
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know of any Libertarian Bands  (Read 27432 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Anyone know of any Libertarian Bands
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:28:53 AM »

Are there bands that are specifically Libertarian?  I looked on the Advocates site and most of their music industry Libertarians are out of date.  Also interested in self-identified Libertarian Hip-Hop,  Blues, and indy rock.   Southeastern groups are especially    of great interest for promotional gigs and such.  If you know of any please post their links here as I think others might be very interested as well.

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know of any Libertarian Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:52 PM »

What about Green Day or Blink-182? I think they're marginally libertarian.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »

I am more interested in little groups and more recent groups who aren't a big name yet.   I mentioned that the Advocates site was out of date.  Really do you think students today are going to be interested in a member of Strawberry Alarm Clock?  I like Blues Traveler but even so isn't that band a bit 1999 by now.  And to boot they are too big to book at a campus gathering anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kgOtTl-Ko&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekingmojo%2Ecom%2F

Big Shanty  is a blues rock group out of Atlanta GA but I can't tell if they are Democrat or Libertarian.  Their contacts on myspace include many Libertarian or Reform friends.  They also have Democrat/Liberal contacts so no help there.

It would be great if they are a Libertarian band but I won't hold my breath on that one.  However, this is the level of fame I am looking for a good steady band that is more or less local.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

zebraflood

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

I know Poker Face played at New Jersey's Libertarian Convention one year, though they are not at all in the lime light these days. And while they seem to advocate freedom, they seem to advocate christianity as well, so who knows if that's a route you would want to go.

http://www.pokerface.com
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:58:25 PM by zebraflood »

pokerkid

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »

Thanks Zebraflood for mentioning us. We have been a bit quiet this year due to babies being born, new jobs, and 2 new discs in the works.

But in the meantime folks can check out a couple of videos here:

Kontrol by Poker Face on Google   http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7991133593566503646
TEAR It Down by Poker Face on Google http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7288749087655563222&q=unplugged.html
REVOLUTION by Poker Face on Google http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-898651569998435650

peace
pokerkid    aka paul
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:09:13 PM by pokerkid »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 10:17:05 PM »

www.myspace.com/libertarianstreetrock
The Federalists
dope.

"Don't call me comrade"
"Come and Take My Rifle If You Can..."
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »

Great hookups guys I am better prepared for the State LP EC meeting coming up.  Someone also clued me into this great listing which I will link here for anyone else interested.  Sadly I have to run this past other people before we try anything.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/liberty_and_music/

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:48:49 AM »

http://www.rebelfirerock.com/downloadjd.html
This one is great, I love JPFO, one of my first really Libertarian websites I became a fan of...  After that it was Cato and mises.org/lewrockwell
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:55:28 PM »

Poker Face, I believe, didn't show up at this years porcfest because they didn't get the price tag they were looking for. WTF?

Torgo

• Radio Monkey
    • View Profile
    • Torgo Is Jesus - The Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »

I don't know of any libertarian bands off the top of my head...but I should try and start up a spoken word thing with Doug Stanhope.  We could be like Rollins.  :-P

I think I'm going to e-mail him about it right now...that would rock...

-Torgo
Last 5 Songs Played...

pokerkid

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 02:06:18 AM »

Poker Face, I believe, didn't show up at this years porcfest because they didn't get the price tag they were looking for. WTF?

What you talking about willis
We tried to contact kate rick a few times, but she was overwhelmed, and didnt get back to us in a timely fashion.

We didnt increase our price since last year, even though gas went up. We even had another group that worked with Varrin last year that provided most of the cash to have us up. So i am really interested in what the word on the street was that you understood.

We donate our time, but our expenses have to be covered. Any problem with that FSP-rebel? Gas and sound rental, pretty much eat up most of the $$ we ask for. WE love liberty/freedom related events, but all of us in the band are blue collar workers with blue collar pay, and cant finance trips around the country with out the help of those folks putting on the events.

I hope that there is better communication with whom ever takes the lead role in putting together next years PORC fest. i hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
peace
paul from poker face
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:07:59 AM by pokerkid »

Tobiah

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 01:33:44 AM »

*click* opens thread.

Edit -> Find in Page.

*typing* "R", "U", "S", "H".

*No matchs*

"What the hell?"

IrishLibertarian

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »

Is there any type of music you're looking for???? If you want, you can check out a few punk bands that I know of that send the message of liberty out, and straight to the point.....

Agnostic Front
Sick Of It All
The Exploited

There are a few more, and I have no links so you would have to do the searches yourself. I know AF and Sick Of It All do alot of clubs and colleges, but not sure the scale of their shows. Go ahead and contact them and see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Anyone know of any Libertarian Bands

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.