Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  An english word for the "desire to control others"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: An english word for the "desire to control others"  (Read 19937 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: An english word for the "desire to control others"
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »

word "statist" is a negative pejorative that conveys control.....

It's also too broad. Technically, many libertarians are statists as well. It's like saying I'm not a theist because the god I believe in is really small and not mean like the one in the Bible.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »

Authoritarian. Or domineering.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »

top.

Jester

• I have gone through the school of life ...
    • View Profile
    • I show frustrated Internet-Marketers how to start working on their own fortune instead of somebody else's.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »

domineering lead me to bossy or control mania.
I'm a mentor with a servants heart.

Aahz

• Anarchist Dad
    • View Profile
    • Philaahzophy
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »

word "statist" is a negative pejorative that conveys control.....

It's also too broad. Technically, many libertarians are statists as well. It's like saying I'm not a theist because the god I believe in is really small and not mean like the one in the Bible.

Are you saying that minarchists are not "driven by fear, envy and centrally the desire to control others through force"?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »

Are you saying that minarchists are not "driven by fear, envy and centrally the desire to control others through force"?

All of them? No.

Aahz

• Anarchist Dad
    • View Profile
    • Philaahzophy
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »

What reason for having a state is not based in fear, envy or a desire to control?

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »

What reason for having a state is not based in fear, envy or a desire to control?

How about a misguided belief that the state creates an environment in which property rights are protected, allowing a broader segment of society to voluntarily participate in the creation of greater wealth for all?  I think mini-statists believe monopoly force is necessary for "the rule of law." (Not legislation...just the protection of rights.)  I think they believe a stateless society would be like Somalia is today.

Of course, I don't agree, but I'm not sure humankind is actually ready, quite yet, for principled liberty.  I think currently, it will tend to break out into states, but I think as humankind advances, the advantages of a voluntary order will become apparent, and the voluntary order will win (unless there is a new dark age.)  I believe history seems to show a very slow tendency toward a more voluntary order, of which I see democracy/republic to be an awkward expression (the error being that ruling of the collective is still destructive.)

Aahz

• Anarchist Dad
    • View Profile
    • Philaahzophy
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »

How about a misguided belief that the state creates an environment in which property rights are protected, allowing a broader segment of society to voluntarily participate in the creation of greater wealth for all? I think mini-statists believe monopoly force is necessary for "the rule of law." (Not legislation...just the protection of rights.)  I think they believe a stateless society would be like Somalia is today.

So, wouldn't that be a fear of "lawlessness"?

BTW, I basically agree with the "prophecies" of your second paragraph.

-Aahz

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 01:11:20 AM »

How about a misguided belief that the state creates an environment in which property rights are protected, allowing a broader segment of society to voluntarily participate in the creation of greater wealth for all? I think mini-statists believe monopoly force is necessary for "the rule of law." (Not legislation...just the protection of rights.)  I think they believe a stateless society would be like Somalia is today.

So, wouldn't that be a fear of "lawlessness"?

BTW, I basically agree with the "prophecies" of your second paragraph.

-Aahz

I don't think it has to be fear.  I think it can be (seen as) a practical view.  For example, I have a friend who would never vote for Ron Paul over the leading Republican.  He does so because he believes the Republican vote is "practical."  He feels Republicans maximize his potential as a businessman.  I think mini-statists think they are more "practical" than (for lack of a better term) anarchists, not more fearful.  I think they feel the state (properly limited--which is the logical fallacy, IMO) maximizes their liberty (the state which is powerful enough to protect your liberty is powerful enough--and more importantly, incentivized--to abuse it.)

In a way, it reminds me of the term "homophobic," which I detest, because it labels bigots as fearful, rather than driven by a basic distaste (and yes, I think there is a huge difference--it basically goes to ad hominem attack, rather than to persuasion.)  I should note that I once was someone who would be labeled a "homophobe" by people inclined to use the term, but never had any fear, whatsoever, of homosexuality.  I thought it was purely unnatural and grotesque.  It took maturity to recognize that any opposition I had to it was just as stupid as trying to outlaw pizza without cheese, just because I could not imagine enjoying it.  It doesn't have to do with being afraid of pizza without cheese, but not having to live in a world where someone "wants to expose me to grotesque stuff."

Fear is a possibility, but not a foregone conclusion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:15:02 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

Aahz

• Anarchist Dad
    • View Profile
    • Philaahzophy
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »

For example, I have a friend who would never vote for Ron Paul over the leading Republican.  He does so because he believes the Republican vote is "practical."  He feels Republicans maximize his potential as a businessman.

This wouldn't be "fear", it would be "envy" (in the broad sense of greed and envy being nearly synonymous).  

I think mini-statists think they are more "practical" than (for lack of a better term) anarchists, not more fearful.  I think they feel the state (properly limited--which is the logical fallacy, IMO) maximizes their liberty (the state which is powerful enough to protect your liberty is powerful enough--and more importantly, incentivized--to abuse it.)

They my think of themselves as practical, but what they think has no direct bearing on the reality of the situation. Afterall, who wants to think of themselves as fearful?

I agree they think feel the state maximizes their liberty.  But their desire for the state to maximize their liberty is a result of their fear of losing that liberty should the state go away.  And of their envy of a situation in which they could have more liberty.

Either way, it's still an expression of their desire to control others in order to achieve something for themselves - be it more profit or more liberty.

-Aahz

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

For example, I have a friend who would never vote for Ron Paul over the leading Republican.  He does so because he believes the Republican vote is "practical."  He feels Republicans maximize his potential as a businessman.

This wouldn't be "fear", it would be "envy" (in the broad sense of greed and envy being nearly synonymous).  

I don't think he envies anyone, but I probably misunderstand your application of the term.

I think mini-statists think they are more "practical" than (for lack of a better term) anarchists, not more fearful.  I think they feel the state (properly limited--which is the logical fallacy, IMO) maximizes their liberty (the state which is powerful enough to protect your liberty is powerful enough--and more importantly, incentivized--to abuse it.)

They my think of themselves as practical, but what they think has no direct bearing on the reality of the situation. Afterall, who wants to think of themselves as fearful?

I agree they think feel the state maximizes their liberty.  But their desire for the state to maximize their liberty is a result of their fear of losing that liberty should the state go away.  And of their envy of a situation in which they could have more liberty.

Either way, it's still an expression of their desire to control others in order to achieve something for themselves - be it more profit or more liberty.

-Aahz

The reason I feel it's important that they think it practical is that they do not do so out of fear, but out of reason, that they find it logical to apply monopoly force to cause an overall good, rather than to protect from unspeakable horror.  I honestly don't believe it occurs to them to be afraid.  Again, I think the fear attribute is a projection of something that is not always present in them--and I gave an example from personal experience.

As for envy, I think that to be a miss-application of the term, as the ones I know have nothing to be envious of.  They intend to keep their ability to claim wealth, and the believe the Republicans maximize it.

In terms of their desire to control others, I say they see it as no more of a desire to control others as when we desire to control others in our very personal space--that is, when we desire to protect our rights through more principled means.  We see it as a desire to control others.  They see it as a natural extension of the right of self-defense.

Do remember, there are those who believe our insistence on self-determination and property rights is, in itself, a violation of their right to live in a property-free and (for lack of a better term) utopian society.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:40 AM »

How about "they who have the strap on"?
Dominater would be a cool name for a strap on factory name.
hmmmm.
I call it.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »

Unabler? They disallow others from doing things. The opposite of an enabler.

And whats the word for a person who only wants the freedom he/she values, but doesn't value the freedoms of another? I'm thinking in the context of a conservative that tries to discourage homosexuality, or a liberal that doesn't mind higher taxes on people that make more than him/her?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »

1. Enablers kind of suck. The opposite type of person shouldn't suck, but otherwise not too bad. Unabler could also be those kingshit assholes that want to enforce OSHA rules, or helpfully be in the way somehow during a emergency.

2. You mean a hypocrite?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  An english word for the "desire to control others"

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.