Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Advice on TSA Fine
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on TSA Fine  (Read 4532 times)

joestros

• View Profile
Advice on TSA Fine
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »

Hi All,

I received a fine of $250 due to our son leaving hunting knives in our duffle bag (he had used them while hunting last fall).  Airport security found them and wrote up an incident report.  We just recieved the fine in the mail (2 months later).  They give you 5 options, one of which is to hold an informal conference, and the other a formal hearing.  I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this TSA fine process, and if so, what option did you take?  Also, what happens if the fine is simply ignored?  Any help would be appreciated.

-Joe

yamnuska

Re: Advice on TSA Fine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »

I wouldn't pay it or even acknowledge it if you don't fly a lot.

davann

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »

Ignore it.

Of course I am not a lawyer.

blackie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »

Russell Kanning got one of those a few years ago(06/16/05). IIRC he ignored it and nothing happened.

it is supposed to be here, but the links aren't working for me:
http://www.soulawakenings.com/underground/TSA1.jpg
http://www.soulawakenings.com/underground/TSA2.jpg

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=991.msg28799#msg28799
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:40:36 AM by blackie »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »

So anyone can just hand out fines now? Damn, I'm gonna have to start writing tickets and such.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:05:57 AM »

I've never heard of this.  Don't they simply confiscate the items (and then sell them, thus making money off the confiscation)?  Maybe they only "fine" you when they find weapons.  Who knows.  In any case, I wouldn't ignore it if you want to fly in the future.  It's possible they'll put you on one of their stupid lists and make life difficult for you in the future when you want to fly somewhere.

I did a quick search and it does look like they hand out the fines for weapons: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7806697/

It also says that your name may end up on the "selectee list" even if you do pay the fine, and that if you contest it, you have to go back to where the fine was given.  I believe I was on this "selectee list" for a few years and it wasn't fun.  It prevented me from checking in in advance and I had to go to the ticket counter every time so they could phone in my ID (couldn't even use the automated machines).  I never had to get extra special screenings because of it, though.  The only answer I ever got regarding why I was on this list was that my name was "similar" to that of a "suspected terrorist" (or an alias they use...seems doubtful given my Scottish surname).

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »

Yeah they do make a profit on what they seize, which is complete BULLSHIT robbery. What if -anyone else- did the same thing?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:16 AM »

Ignore it, I have heard of people getting tickets from them and they have never had the TSA try to enforce the ticket so ignoring it would probably be best.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:47:42 AM »

There was a story about this a year or two ago, on Free Talk Live.  Seems to me the consensus was that if you ignore it, nothing happens.  It seems possible they could put your name on the no-fly list, but that doesn't seem to have happened to anyone. 

I had a knife in my luggage from the previous time I'd used it on a car trip, and they took it (funny thing is I didn't even remember putting it there, and denied knowing anything about it, until I remembered it had been my deceased father's and my uncle had asked me if I'd wanted it.)  I never got one of the silly fine notices though.  May not have tried to fly since, either.  :lol:

joestros

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will try and post the document later, but basically it is a letter stating what happened, the fine amount, and the 5 options.  They say if you pay it wilthin 30 days they will "reduce" the fine to $125.  Oh, and you can only conact them via snail mail. 

A little more detail on our incident:  The knives were double-bladed, the kind used for throwing.  Since they were double-bladed the TSA woman told us she had to write up an incident report and send it off for review.  The sheriff's were called over to "investigate".  The lead female sherrif was very rude to me, not letting me speak.  My partner is an ex-cop, but still works as an investigator for our county so he carries a badge.  Despite my objections, he told them that he was law enforcement and showed them his badge.  Talk about a 180!  They suddenly became extremely friendly, and adviced him to take the ticket since they would probably be more lenient on him.  She even thought they would drop the fine and only give him a warning (most first-time offenses are warnings from what I understand). 

Since the ticket is in my partner's name I can only give him my opinion on what to do.  If it were me I would probably ignore it and deal with the extra hassles when it comes to flying. 

Ox, thank  you for your offer.  Can I email you privately?  My email is joestros2002@yahoo.com

-joe

thedrickster

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »

Absolutely ignore it.

If they want their $250 make them charge you with a "crime".

ForumTroll

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »

Where is Jorge and why isn't he commenting.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:43 AM »

Absolutely ignore it.

If they want their $250 make them charge you with a "crime".

this.

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Where is Jorge and why isn't he commenting.

1. Because I just now saw the thread.

&

2. I don't go on the bbs that much...  :?

Given how slow & retarded alot of my brethren in the TSA are, you could ignore it & fly 3 times a week for a year before anything happened if anything were to happen at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Advice on TSA Fine

// ]]>

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 32 queries.