Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Activism: how far would you go?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Activism: how far would you go?  (Read 33964 times)

bonerjoe

Re: Activism: how far would you go?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »

People, if you're going to do something stupid...at least make sure the cameras are rolling. :-D

vanguardist

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 09:19:42 PM »

I think that in NH, we could have a nice TV crew to document things as they happen. Sort of how we have videos of Dada talking to the cops about his gun; videos of the flag and social security flags, and things like airport protests and the $1 manicure. Everything should be documented to make it a governmental ridicule show.

Cortaigne

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »

constitutionally protected rights.

As Badnarik rightly points out, there are no "Constitutional rights."  The Bill of Rights grants nothing to us, only enumerates a handful of the rights we have whether or not they are written down.  An amendment could be passed (legitimately or not, as history has shown us on more than one occasion) that, for example, repeals the Second Amendment.  This would not deprive us of our right to keep and bear arms.  It would only signal the government's refusal to recognize our right.  If that were to happen, we must continue to exercise the right, regardless of their recognition of it.  The same goes for any right, including those not enumerated in the Constitution.

bonerjoe

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 09:21:13 PM »

I think that in NH, we could have a nice TV crew to document things as they happen. Sort of how we have videos of Dada talking to the cops about his gun; videos of the flag and social security flags, and things like airport protests and the $1 manicure. Everything should be documented to make it a governmental ridicule show.

Howabout getting people elected to office who will actually not be scared to vote what they believe in? All of the above is just masturbation.

vanguardist

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 09:23:18 PM »

Yeah that too. But change must come from both inside and outside. I support government monkeywrenchers as well as political change. All I'm saying is that if you're going to make an activist show, that you let people get it on video.

bonerjoe

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 09:23:57 PM »

The press stopped coming.

Now what?

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 09:25:20 PM »

As Badnarik rightly points out, there are no "Constitutional rights."  The Bill of Rights grants nothing to us, only enumerates a handful of the rights we have whether or not they are written down.  An amendment could be passed (legitimately or not, as history has shown us on more than one occasion) that, for example, repeals the Second Amendment.  This would not deprive us of our right to keep and bear arms.  It would only signal the government's refusal to recognize our right.  If that were to happen, we must continue to exercise the right, regardless of their recognition of it.  The same goes for any right, including those not enumerated in the Constitution.

Point taken. How about "natural rights, which the constitution was supposedly written to protect"?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

vanguardist

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 09:26:06 PM »

Heh. I meant our own liberty press. I would love to be a part of the FreedomTV media outlet in New Hampshire. The Internet is a good way to spread freedom. Fuck the traditional media. They barely care. Start your own. It's easy and cheap.

bonerjoe

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 09:28:50 PM »

But who watches but libertarians that should be in NH anyways?

vanguardist

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »

Good point. And as I said before, we should try to foster an environment of freedom. NH is pretty small in population. If the FSP is a success, then that's a pretty good base. These are long-term goals. When are you moving?

JetlagQ

• Take it up with my DRO...
  • FTL Creative Team
  • ...I love Mises to pieces
    • View Profile
    • Black and Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »

Starting around 1765 The Sons of Liberty responded to the stamp act by:

1. Publishing articles to gain support for their views and to agitate the populus against the government.
2. confiscating and burning the stamp paper.
3. Infiltrating law enforcement and militia.
4. making public declarations of intent to disobey.
5. refusing to collect the tax.
6. beheading and burning government officials publicly in effigy.
7. destroying the homes of government officials.
8. threatening tax collectors to the point where they resigned their posts or refused to collect the taxes.
9. reducing the authority and safety of the royal governors so much that many were forced into hiding.

So on a scale of 1-9, how far would each of you go?
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.

Cortaigne

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »

Starting around 1765 The Sons of Liberty responded to the stamp act by:

1. Publishing articles to gain support for their views and to agitate the populus against the government.
2. confiscating and burning the stamp paper.
3. Infiltrating law enforcement and militia.
4. making public declarations of intent to disobey.
5. refusing to collect the tax.
6. beheading and burning government officials publicly in effigy.
7. destroying the homes of government officials.
8. threatening tax collectors to the point where they resigned their posts or refused to collect the taxes.
9. reducing the authority and safety of the royal governors so much that many were forced into hiding.

Well, my favorite number is twelve, so ...

fourthgeek

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »

9 Publishing articles to gain support for their views and to agitate the populus against the government.
9 confiscating and burning the stamp paper.
5 Infiltrating law enforcement and militia.
9 making public declarations of intent to disobey.
5 refusing to collect the tax.
8 beheading and burning government officials publicly in effigy.
7 destroying the homes of government officials.
8 threatening tax collectors to the point where they resigned their posts or refused to collect the taxes.
8 reducing the authority and safety of the royal governors so much that many were forced into hiding.

Might seem odd that i'm more willing to kill them than to destroy homes, but once you've put the "fear of god" in the politicians' collective heads, it becomes less and less troubling for me. Thus, i'd be more likely to skin and quarter them because, well, how many politicians are going to wanna piss you off after that?

My system is probably opposite of most. I'd be less likely to challenge authority than I would be to just shoot it. Civil disobedience just amounts to annoying those in power, and telling them who to go after first.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 10:33:16 PM »

And, how would you answer your question?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Driven

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »

One thing that I am curious is how far people are willing to go to promote liberty and be an activist against government crimes (or do I repeat myself?).

Some people prefer to be monkeywrenchers and demonstrators, others like to work within the system (politics, blogging, academics, etc.), and yet others want to simply go underground and avoid taxes and all licenses and registrations.

Fortunately, those who want liberty span the entire spectrum: from full-time intellectuals to full-time activists. So, as an open-ended question, what's your particular balance between fighting for freedom from home or from jail?  :o

I think you really need to do all three.  If that means going to jail, then go to jail. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Activism: how far would you go?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.