Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Question to the Athiests
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question to the Athiests  (Read 45219 times)

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: A Question to the Athiests
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »

I honestly hope someone rips your ugly head off, and shits down your neck.

So much for the Christian "turn the other cheek."

Even a Wiccan or "law of attraction" believer would "put out" positive things, like "may you one day soon realize your mistake" or "I sincerely hope that you accept $DEITY in your life, he/she/they/it love you."

Maybe one of the more militant religions would fit your personality better than the generally proported "peace and brotherhood" of the New Testament. Many of the objections so far stated against the "Christian" bible are really against the raging misogyny and paranoia of the Old Testament. Have you considered Judeism?

Most religions, with minor exceptions like pure "What would Jesus do" Christianity, Zen Buddhism, Quakers, Wicca, generally accept bashing non-believers. So pick something really esoteric and then you won't be damning yourself by saying things like "I hope someone rips off your head..." etc.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »

I honestly hope someone rips your ugly head off, and shits down your neck.

So much for the Christian "turn the other cheek."

Even a Wiccan or "law of attraction" believer would "put out" positive things, like "may you one day soon realize your mistake" or "I sincerely hope that you accept $DEITY in your life, he/she/they/it love you."

Maybe one of the more militant religions would fit your personality better than the generally proported "peace and brotherhood" of the New Testament. Many of the objections so far stated against the "Christian" bible are really against the raging misogyny and paranoia of the Old Testament. Have you considered Judeism?

Most religions, with minor exceptions like pure "What would Jesus do" Christianity, Zen Buddhism, Quakers, Wicca, generally accept bashing non-believers. So pick something really esoteric and then you won't be damning yourself by saying things like "I hope someone rips off your head..." etc.

I'm not a Christian numbnuts. Haven't you ever paid attention to anything I have ever said? Turning the other cheek isn't a Jewish concept. I'm a practicing Orthodox Jew.

Last night it happens I was in a weird mood.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

I suppose I could get my ethics from the bible by purposely NOT following its example, and other times taking heed of its advice when I felt it was relevant. Oh, wait, we discussed that already. Picking and choosing like that is BS because it enables you do behave however you want, thus you are choosing your ethics in the same way as atheists.
You're not supposed to follow everything in the bible by example.  Example: Worshiping a golden calf, that's a big no-no.  Sending your top general into battle so that he would die and you can marry his wife, another big no-no.  Of course there is twisted stuff in the Bible, you're supposed to learn from it that that is twisted and not to do it.

And the story where Jesus damns a fig tree?

Or how about the one where god sends 2 bears out of the woods to slaughter 42 children?

Should I learn not to make fun of bald people, because like those children I may be mauled to death by bears? (Like 2 bears could really kill that many people, all they would have to do is flee and they wouldnt be all caught.)
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

davann

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »

Should I learn not to make fun of bald people, because like those children I may be mauled to death by bears? (Like 2 bears could really kill that many people, all they would have to do is flee and they wouldnt be all caught.)

Maybe the bears stalked the 42 children over a long period of time. Get a couple today, another one tomorrow, 3 on Thursday. These were not your average bears.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »

I suppose I could get my ethics from the bible by purposely NOT following its example, and other times taking heed of its advice when I felt it was relevant. Oh, wait, we discussed that already. Picking and choosing like that is BS because it enables you do behave however you want, thus you are choosing your ethics in the same way as atheists.
You're not supposed to follow everything in the bible by example.  Example: Worshiping a golden calf, that's a big no-no.  Sending your top general into battle so that he would die and you can marry his wife, another big no-no.  Of course there is twisted stuff in the Bible, you're supposed to learn from it that that is twisted and not to do it.

And the story where Jesus damns a fig tree?

Or how about the one where god sends 2 bears out of the woods to slaughter 42 children?

I have no idea.  I've only read small sections of the New Testament because I'm not a Christian.  Don't ask me about Jesus damning a fig tree.  Seems strange to me, besides, figs are good.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:56 PM »

$DEITY

I like the way that looks.

...2 bears...

Were these the same two from the ark?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

davann

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

$DEITY

...2 bears...

The very same two. Yogi and Booboo. They had a fondness for picinic baskets and mauling children.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »

:lol:

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »

$DEITY

...2 bears...

The very same two. Yogi and Booboo. They had a fondness for picinic baskets and mauling children.
Oh, you must be talking about the Evil Bear Ravaging Tahoe I posted about in General.  He sure seems like an Evil Yogi
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:12 PM »

I'm not a Christian numbnuts. Haven't you ever paid attention to anything I have ever said?

Not really, it's not that interesting most of the time.

Turning the other cheek isn't a Jewish concept. I'm a practicing Orthodox Jew.

Well then being a vindictive asshole is just fine. Ignore the advice.

"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »

$DEITY

It's a very old UNIX-hacker term, using an "environment variable" as it would be utilized in a shell script.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »

I recognized it as a variable, but saw the connect between church and it's *secondary motive $PROFIT!

*Core motive = $CONTROL!

fatcat

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »

You're not supposed to follow everything in the bible by example.  Example: Worshiping a golden calf, that's a big no-no.  Sending your top general into battle so that he would die and you can marry his wife, another big no-no.  Of course there is twisted stuff in the Bible, you're supposed to learn from it that that is twisted and not to do it.

How do you explain stoning non virgin brides, executing gay people, slave beating rules, killing non believers, killing disbelievers, killing witches, executing adulterers?

I don't see any versions that are even slightly open to an interpretation where god doesn't want gay people to be executed

Non of that shit is tongue in cheek or even slightly metaphorical, they're straight out rulings.

The only thing you can learn by it is to not believe something is wrong just because it was written in an old book supposedly authored by a god.

funny how he decided to let humans write it down for him, instead of say etching it in 200ft letters on the moon, or coding it into all DNA or some other way that couldn't easily be mistaken for a work of fiction.

Or you know appearing on mass to all humans at regular intervals so there would be no doubt to his existence.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:20:42 PM by fatcat »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »

Or you know appearing on mass to all humans at regular intervals so there would be no doubt to his existence.
Or revealing some truth that we could not have figured out at the time (like complex math), leaving a few angels behind to perform various feats (we could still have this debate then, but it'd cancel out some religions), allow some people to still perform miracles, etc.

...2 bears...

Some dude in the bible was walking along minding his own business. A group of "little children" ran up to him and began teasing him about the lack of hair on his head. He cursed them in gods name. God sent 2 female bears to charge out of the woods and those bears managed to kill 42 of the kids (no mention of how many kids in total there were). Wonder if these (innocent?) kids went to heaven or hell after that. The dude continued on to his next destination after that.

Done by an artist who has no idea what bears look like:

Theres only about a dozen kids in this one, but it more accurately represents the bears:

Don't ask me about Jesus damning a fig tree.  Seems strange to me, besides, figs are good.

Jesus was actually fond of figs. In the story where he damned one (a specific one) he had walked all the way over to the tree to get its fruit because he was hungry. He found the tree covered in leaves and it was supposed to be bearing fruit, but for whatever reason (I blame god) there wasnt any. Jesus damned the tree in his anger for its insolence.  It doesnt say whether god sent any forest creatures out to maul the tree, but I'd assume that he did.

Bonus verse:
Behold, I will rebuke your seed, and will spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your feasts; and ye shall be taken away with it.

And here ends the lesson.  8)
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »

...2 bears...

Some dude in the bible was walking along minding his own business. A group of "little children" ran up to him and began teasing him about the lack of hair on his head. He cursed them in gods name. God sent 2 female bears to charge out of the woods and those bears managed to kill 42 of the kids (no mention of how many kids in total there were). Wonder if these (innocent?) kids went to heaven or hell after that. The dude continued on to his next destination after that.

Done by an artist who has no idea what bears look like:

Theres only about a dozen kids in this one, but it more accurately represents the bears:

Sounds like the lesson is to not taunt your elders.  How is that a bad lesson?  Because it's graphic and R-rated?  Leave it to fatcat to take something way out of context.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Question to the Athiests

// ]]>

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.