Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A hypothetical situation
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A hypothetical situation  (Read 2590 times)

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
  • Aint no thang but a chicken wing!
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
A hypothetical situation
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »

Here's a hypothetical question for you.
If a group of Free staters all moved to a rural area and purchased their houses, and the surrounding land, could they not incorporate that land into a city?  and, as a city, or borough, they could set up a city council.  This council could effectively set all locall taxes for that area as zero, and anyone living there would be responsible for picking up the costs that the former borough authority had previously accommodated.  DROs could be set up that charged at an as needed basis, there would be a volunteer fire dept,  roads would be built as the citizens paid for them.  of course, state and federal taxes and regulations would still apply.  what do you guys think?
Feel free to add me to facebook, or contact me on MSN.

BonerJoe

Re: A hypothetical situation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »

There is a New Hampshire town with only 40 residents. It could easily be done.

blackie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »

of course, state and federal taxes and regulations would still apply.  what do you guys think?
What is the point?

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »

of course, state and federal taxes and regulations would still apply.  what do you guys think?
What is the point?

Well, it is a step in the right direction.  Around here at least, local taxes seem the most prevalent.  And the police are locals as well. Without a law enforcement agency, much more freedom can be achieved.  and of course, they could decide to stop paying all taxes, but I was just pointing out a 'legal' option.

blackie

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »

I would rather have a local cop that is voted on, than have the state police with jurisdiction over everything.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »

I would rather have a local cop that is voted on, than have the state police with jurisdiction over everything.

Assuming I went along with the rest of the premise, I would agree. The city counsel could hire one Andy Griffith-like guy who would know it is his job to be noncooperative with outside agencies unless there was a clear crime with an actual victim.

Of course all of the oversight and crap from the state would more than compensate for any benefit received.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »

Of course all of the oversight and crap from the state would more than compensate for any benefit received.

It also does nothing about the predations of the state itself against the people in the "libertown".

Incorporating might create a very unobtrusive "city", but it is still just one more layer of government.

Thank you, no.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

davann

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »

I like the idea. It is a layer of government but one that would be small enough to control for a bit. The amount of freedom would increase so it would be a win for few years at least. Not sure if it would be possible on the east coast. Is not every square inch of land already incorporated?

Low-Eight

• The Emancipator
    • View Profile
    • Emancipation!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:16:42 AM »

I like the idea. It is a layer of government but one that would be small enough to control for a bit. The amount of freedom would increase so it would be a win for few years at least. Not sure if it would be possible on the east coast. Is not every square inch of land already incorporated?

not at all, there are plenty of places here in PA that are not incorporated.  Dundalk, a town of 50,000 people, outside of Baltimore, is unincorporated.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

Not sure if it would be possible on the east coast. Is not every square inch of land already incorporated?

Interesting factoid on this subject: The state of Connecticut abolished county government several (many?) years ago, due to the fact that there was no unincorporated land left.

The lines remain on maps for historical purposes.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A hypothetical situation

// ]]>

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 31 queries.