Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A good way to retire
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A good way to retire  (Read 13342 times)

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
A good way to retire
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:19:16 AM »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:00:25 AM by ox »

One two three

• View Profile
Re: A good way to retire
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:31:29 AM »

Have you heard of Dick Proenneke?

Yes.  I watched the documentary.  I enjoyed it.  I don't see how it relates to the title though. 
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »

There's lots of abandoned land and buildings in North Dakota.

If you're willing to stay there for twenty years without vacating the property once while maintaining and improving the property you can claim squatter's rights on it.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:50:10 AM »

I've seen this beföre, and I even wanted FSP tö chööse Alaska (ör specific island(s) in Söuthern Alaska) beföre it chöse NH...

The real wörld is much bigger than it lööks ön the map.  Cöös Cöunty is big enöugh för me för nöw.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:52:07 AM by Alex Libman »

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »

If I could afford to move I'd probably be in northern New Hampshire. I need to be around trees. Lots of trees.

I can't afford to move right now, it's sort of a problem.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »

Chinese YouTube - double eeevil!

Use P2P instead!

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

I saw "Alone in the Wilderness," and enjoyed it. But, you don't have to go to the ends of the earth to live a simple life of that sort. I know a couple of hermits who bought a modest few acres a few years ago and built a couple of tiny houses on it. They live just fine on virtually no money at all.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

fatcat

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »

I don't know why these burn outs get so much credit. If they want to give up, boon for them, but I don't see anything remarkable it.

There seems to be a perverse, and wildly held fantasy for self sufficiency and "nature", and that the modern urbanized world is all fucked up, wasteful and meaningless.

If living for the sake of survival isn't the most wastefully hedonistic way to spend your life, I don't know what is.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »

I hate being around humans. That's why I want to take to the woods and be left the hell alone.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »

If I said I had a "firefly"-class transport vessel in need of a crew, which position would you fill?

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

If I said I had a "firefly"-class transport vessel in need of a crew, which position would you fill?

Public relations.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »

Do you have any pictures of Vera?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

If living for the sake of survival isn't the most wastefully hedonistic way to spend your life, I don't know what is.

I think the most wasteful way to spend a life is to sit around and feed your head with garbage.  Mindless entertainment, crap food made from chemicals, and all the "necessities" of modern living.  It makes you lazy, stupid and weak.  Technology has its attributes, to be sure, but each advancement has its negatives.  People can't even remember their own phone numbers any more, because they're programmed into their contacts in their cell.  People can't read a paper map properly because google maps and Garmin does it for them.  Spellchecker corrects their mistakes, people go years misspelling words because they click and don't learn. Their attention span is narrowing down to soundbites and video clips at an alarmingly increasing rate.  In a few years, the next-gen drones are gonna sit with goggles on eating bio-syrup.  If that isn't a hollow meatbag existence, I don't know what is. 

People recognize this consciously and more often subconsciously, which is why the people who make the leap are so fascinating.  Its not to say you have to eat bark and have one book, no electric lights.  Theres nothing wrong with making a trip once a month to get toothpaste and stuff.  The Alaska dude is a little extreme, but I get where he's coming from.  At lease he has a purpose.  Urban drones have little or no purpose, on many levels.  They just consume goods.  They're even called "consumers" on the retail level, advertising targets -- most people never even process that little fact.  Although it hits them right in the face at Xmas, we bitch a little, then forget. 

We're gluttons.  Slothful fucking gluttons.  I can see why the government views us as a faceless horde of tax-providers, we're just a harvest crop to them.  But that one guy, way out in the middle of nowhere, he's got a face in his isolation.  He registers on their radar as an individual.  It may not gain him any additional rights on the surface, but they can't help but think of him as a man, and not a drool-unit among the crowd. 

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »

Do you have any pictures of Vera?

Your Earth-that-was tech has not yet advanced so that you can really see it via photograph.

Not even vector graphics are hardcore enough for it.

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »

Pilot.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A good way to retire

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.