Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Double Win for the Free Market today
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Double Win for the Free Market today  (Read 10060 times)

fourthgeek

A Double Win for the Free Market today
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:42:46 PM »

In my Environmental Sciences class today, I was part of a fictional zoning committee, deciding how to zone a fictional plot of land. I added a new proposal to the ones not listed: Disband the committee and let the market decide how to use land.

It was a bit of an uphill battle. The environmentalists seemed to think that zoning would save the butterflies. The businessowners agreed with me though, apparently they didn't think of using zoning specifically for their own benefit. I explained to them all the downsides of zoning, and after a few minutes, I had convinced the entire classroom, including the members, to disband the zoning committee. Score one for the free market.

The teacher was so impressed with me that she randomly gave me a bag of candy. I then auctioned this cheap bag of candy off for $5. Score two for the free market!

I've slowly been seeing the schoolgrounds as a battlefield where the government and my fellow liberty-minded schoolmates are fighting for the hearts and minds of the unprincipled.

koolaide

• I cut so much, you thought I was a DJ
    • View Profile
Re: A Double Win for the Free Market today
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:51:45 PM »

In my Environmental Sciences class today, I was part of a fictional zoning committee, deciding how to zone a fictional plot of land. I added a new proposal to the ones not listed: Disband the committee and let the market decide how to use land.

It was a bit of an uphill battle. The environmentalists seemed to think that zoning would save the butterflies. The businessowners agreed with me though, apparently they didn't think of using zoning specifically for their own benefit. I explained to them all the downsides of zoning, and after a few minutes, I had convinced the entire classroom, including the members, to disband the zoning committee. Score one for the free market.

The teacher was so impressed with me that she randomly gave me a bag of candy. I then auctioned this cheap bag of candy off for $5. Score two for the free market!

I've slowly been seeing the schoolgrounds as a battlefield where the government and my fellow liberty-minded schoolmates are fighting for the hearts and minds of the unprincipled.

No way!! My Chemistry class is going to be doing that exact same thing in a few days  :lol:

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 06:04:22 AM »

:lol: :lol:

This is great!
 8)
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

TomPaine

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:56:59 PM »

zoning is just a group response to individual negative externalities that affect land values...

share the land values between neighbors and the issue goes away...

sarararar

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:58:32 PM »

Why would anyone pay five dollars for a bag of candy.

Firam

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 03:43:24 PM »

Why would anyone pay five dollars for a bag of candy.

Must have either have been good candy or there was a large demmand for it. The second is a a better explaination because it is an example of the free market.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 04:56:01 PM »

With supply low, and demand high, prices in authoritarian zones are blackmarketesque.

zoning is just a group response to individual negative externalities that affect land values...
The myth of the occurance of negative externalities in places that do not have zoning is a counterexample.
Thus, it is actually a State response to freedom.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

TomPaine

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »

The myth of the occurance of negative externalities in places that do not have zoning is a counterexample.

how would the pig farm analogy for instance fit within the myth?

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »

Analogies are analogies for a reason: they don't observe all the details.

TomPaine

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 08:57:14 PM »

Analogies are analogies for a reason: they don't observe all the details.

then give me the details so we can discuss...

qindao

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 09:08:42 PM »

"I've slowly been seeing the schoolgrounds as a battlefield where the government and my fellow liberty-minded schoolmates are fighting for the hearts and minds of the unprincipled."

Yes, but remember: While in school, you've still got the opportunity to learn, to assimilate, digest information, methods and so forth. When you're older, the society won't be that indulgent any more, let you spend your time reading all those books, and so forth. Mind this: Principles have to be correctly understood; never confuse them with  a 'maxim' or 'anecdote' or something like this. School, after all, is v e r y  important.
best wishes
j.

fourthgeek

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 09:21:14 PM »

I'm within the top 10% of my class with a GPA of ~3.7, taking several Advanced-Placement level classes. Honestly, in the 8 hours of schooling, I learn maybe 2 hours worth. I spend a lot of my time reading such works as Healing our World, which teaches me more than  all my other classes combined.  :lol:

School may or may not be important, but obviously, that's nothing for me to be worried about. I could get a 50 on every single grade for the rest of the year and still pass the year with a 75 and a GPA of at least a 3.0.

It was a win for the free market because the candy was shit. It was a bag of cheap gummi worms. Why the hell anyone would pay more than a dollar for it, I'll never understand. It seems, though, that sugar is a lucrative industry in the school environment. If I started selling candy in my classes, I could probably make at least keystone on it.  :P

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 09:34:03 PM »

I was once told I could not read the economic literature on http://Mises.org because it was 'distracting to my learning'.  :?

ladyattis

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 09:43:29 PM »

That's what they say about EVE Online, but look at me, a geek in computational physics. :shock:

-- Bridget

Tom Morris

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 01:06:50 PM »

Good on you. I've got a class debate on drugs and marijuana (notably, that we should legalise/decriminalise marijuana) in two weeks time. Looking forward to it!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  A Double Win for the Free Market today

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.