Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  13

Poll

Imagine you could be 13 again.  Would you...

...go back in time and be your 13 year old self?
- 8 (72.7%)
...be 13 again right now, and have your parents be the same age that they were when you were originally 13?
- 0 (0%)
...not take the option at all?
- 1 (9.1%)
...other?  (explain in thread)
- 2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 13  (Read 7003 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »

What do you think?

Bill Brasky

Re: 13
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:24:59 AM »

"A"  -  Do I get to take my consciousness with me?  Like, I'd be me, but back in 1985? 

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:24 AM »

"A"  -  Do I get to take my consciousness with me?  Like, I'd be me, but back in 1985? 

Yes.  And I know if we could all do that, we could come up with all sorts of money-making schemes....invest in Microsoft, invent something before it was actually invented, make bets using the sports almanac, etc. 

But even if you couldn't do anything like that-- would you still choose it?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:12:13 AM »

Yes.  And I know if we could all do that, we could come up with all sorts of money-making schemes....invest in Microsoft, invent something before it was actually invented, make bets using the sports almanac, etc. 

But even if you couldn't do anything like that-- would you still choose it?

Yep. 

I don't really have any regrets, but I think I could have made some improvements.  And I don't think being 13 right now would be very much fun.  The schools and society, all that jazz, its really tight-assed for kids.  I had a lot of freedom without looking over my shoulder. 

digitalfour

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:21 AM »

On a related note, if you could tell your past self one thing to change the course of your history, what would it be?

ForumTroll

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:04:26 AM »

I'd go back and beat the living shit out of everyone who initiated force against me in school.

ForumTroll

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »

On a related note, if you could tell your past self one thing to change the course of your history, what would it be?

DONT STEAL

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »

Pussy is going to get you in trouble.

blackie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »

No thanks.

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »

Do more art.
Do yourself a favor.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »

Yes I would go back and do it again. The wisdom of near middle age would serve me well through the teen years and help me position for even greater success. I think I would enjoy that either at the same time period as I went through my teens (the 80s) or now.

Honestly though, being a dad now has me convinced that there is no single tidbit of wisdom that I could pass on to myself at that age that would have served me. You see, the 13 year old me just wouldn't be able to internalize grown-up wisdom easily, and I'm smart enough now to know that imparting wisdom just isn't that easy.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »

Honestly though, being a dad now has me convinced that there is no single tidbit of wisdom that I could pass on to myself at that age that would have served me. You see, the 13 year old me just wouldn't be able to internalize grown-up wisdom easily, and I'm smart enough now to know that imparting wisdom just isn't that easy.

Yeah, I thought about what I would tell my 13 year old self that would actually help things, and came up with nothing better than "Take care of yourself." Which wouldn't help things much at all.  I guess I could tell her "Don't date that Jason guy," but I doubt she would listen. 

rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »

I guess I could tell her "Don't date that Jason guy," but I doubt she would listen. 

I'd tell myself..."you know, you could really be a real ladies man if you play your cards right..."

and my 13yo self would dismiss it all w. a wave of his arm, say, "yeah right.  get away from me you CREEP!" and subsequently punch me in the balls before mounting his bike and riding down the street.
Do yourself a favor.

davann

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »

My gut reaction was "hell yeah!". After some thought I am now leaning toward no way. While it would be nice to change some things that I regret it is unlikely those regrets would not be changed out with new ones that could be worse. Regrets are part of life and are great learning tools.

Also, I was fairly awkward at 13, tall and extremely lean. I was not that much to look at with the pimples and constant congestion from allergies left my eyes puffed up and my nose running constantly. Also, I was surrounded and immersed in bigotry. All that hatred really is no fun.

rookie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

Also, I was surrounded and immersed in bigotry. All that hatred really is no fun.

was it nigger-hatred, heeb-hatred, or fag-hatred?
Do yourself a favor.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  13

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 36 queries.