Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian  (Read 29338 times)

orion

• View Profile
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »

Guess I don't understand how you all can be so sure about what the universe doesn't do.  Perhaps there is more to it than you realize.   :P

Is everyone in here familiar with the double split experiment?

[youtube=425,350]DfPeprQ7oGc[/youtube]

therealritasue

• Fnord is the color only blind people can see.
    • View Profile
    • My dA.
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ia
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 02:27:44 PM »

Guess I don't understand how you all can be so sure about what the universe doesn't do.  Perhaps there is more to it than you realize.   :P

We're not saying that it's not possible, we're just saying that it's not the most logical conclusion, and that there are other explanations that are more logical. Like I said, we aren't trying to get to you change or anything, I just think you should understand more where we're coming from before you make such a statement. ;)
Bubbe made a kishke, she made it big and fat, My Zaydeh took one look at it and said "I can't eat that!', Oh Bubbe, Bubbe, Bubbe, Oh Bubbe me oh myyyyyyyy..

therealritasue

• View Profile
    • My dA.
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »

Guess I don't understand how you all can be so sure about what the universe doesn't do.  Perhaps there is more to it than you realize.   :P

I LOVE that. That always blew my mind.
Bubbe made a kishke, she made it big and fat, My Zaydeh took one look at it and said "I can't eat that!', Oh Bubbe, Bubbe, Bubbe, Oh Bubbe me oh myyyyyyyy..

BonerJoe

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

Proof that we're in The Matrix and computing power is only allocated to active processes? Hehe.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ia
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »

I know where you're coming from, as I used to be there.   :P
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Mayor Maximus

• Mayor Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »

Ok, now my world view is melting... Will somebody please provide some perspective to this?  That experiment basically means that just because the tree is there when we observe it, it may or may not be there when we aren't.
Maximus

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »

If you don't understand this, you need to take basic physics.  It's not really all that mind blowing.  Electrons travel in a wave pattern OMG.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mayor Maximus

• Mayor Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »

Well i guess we aren't all as smart and talented as you.  Stop being a pompous ass for no reason.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:39:37 PM by mayor havoc »
Maximus

therealritasue

• View Profile
    • My dA.
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »

If you don't understand this, you need to take basic physics.  It's not really all that mind blowing.  Electrons travel in a wave pattern OMG.

Just because you understand how something works, doesn't make it not cool. Wave-particle duality, like all of physics, is fascinating to me.

Like he said, no need to be a pompous ass.

JWI

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »

Well i guess we aren't all as smart and talented as you.  Stop being a pompous ass for no reason.

There will be plenty more.  For some reason the "smart" people can't resist going on a message board and insulting the rest of the users.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »

Just because you understand how something works, doesn't make it not cool. Wave-particle duality, like all of physics, is fascinating to me.

Sorry, I thought it was mind blowing too... until I took physics in college.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

therealritasue

• View Profile
    • My dA.
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »

Meaning? I mean, you may be perfectly innocent, but I know full well how the experiment works, but I still find it mind blowing. It has nothing to do with me not being able to understand.

Sorry if that's not what you were implying, but I just wanted to be clear.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2008, 05:30:21 AM »

Meaning? I mean, you may be perfectly innocent, but I know full well how the experiment works, but I still find it mind blowing. It has nothing to do with me not being able to understand.

Sorry if that's not what you were implying, but I just wanted to be clear.
I guess most stuff in physics stopped being mind blowing when I learned relativity and quantum mechanics.  It's still interesting, but it all just stopped "blowing my mind"

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »

I guess most stuff in physics stopped being mind blowing when I learned relativity and quantum mechanics.  It's still interesting, but it all just stopped "blowing my mind"

I understand "blow my mind" to mean, "it is beautiful". This changes over time. For example, I could think of the Internet as a beautiful thing, but since I grew up with it and use it every day, it's not so beautiful. I remember I used to think that astronomy was beautiful, until I took a course on it. It seems that whenever I take a government education course on something, it makes it seem not so interesting. :/

HOO-HAA

• tattOOed HORROR writer and scowling heathen
    • View Profile
    • DROP DEAD GORGEOUS: tattOOed HORROR novel
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »

Interesting discussion.

My understanding is that pantheism is different to atheism in a very small way - pantheists may, for example, see 'god' in nature, but not an identifiable 'god' or personal 'god.'

It seems to me that pantheists are not claiming there definitely IS an entity which could be called 'god' and that it had a definite and active role in, say, the origin of life... but that there MAY be some things which we are unable to understand about the universe, and for the purposes of rhetoric, we could attribute such things as the work of 'god' until we know different. 

I kinda stopped off at pantheism on my way to atheism, I guess. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.