Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian  (Read 29068 times)

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »

That said, if it starts becoming a regular part of what you're pitching on your show, you can count me the fuck out.

I wouldn't worry about that. He hardly ever talks about it.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that. He hardly ever talks about it.

Oh I know. I was just volunteering an individualized market indicator. :-P
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »

...  FTL_Ian on August 21, 2008, 09:21:36 PM
"Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?"

Indeed i am.  In my estimation, the pantheism thing is a complete cop-out that Ian is using to smooth out conversations with potential liberty lovers.  I am very impressed with the success of this approach from what I have heard of his interactions from religious callers.  They see him as less of a threat to that particular part of their world view and thus are more accepting to his other views.  I get it.  I still think it's a bad approach because it's a failure to acknowledge that the fight against religion is a fight against government at a basic level.

Mark, however, does believe his rhetoric (at least on this one issue).

I converted to pantheism too

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ia
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »

Good point, but that's not the reason.  I've seen and continue to see thr Law of Attraction work, and that drew me to pantheism.  I'd loved atheism because it was all about believing in yourself instead of some deity.  Pantheism is also about believing in yourself, but moreso.  The pantheistic view doesn't stifle like monotheistic religions; it encourages expansion.  It doesn't hold judgement over your actions.  There is nothing to worship. 

There is nothing false about me proclaiming my pantheism.

We can all be Neo, if we choose it.

Good on you for sticking to you guns. What you choose to believe in is a fundamental aspect of the freedom lovers way. That said, if it starts becoming a regular part of what you're pitching on your show, you can count me the fuck out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

He's too stoned to understand logic, friend. :(
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »

I don't mind pantheism, but I do mind the so-called "Law of Attraction".

Human brains are designed to be efficient and lazy (same thing, really) and as a certain synaptic pathway is used it becomes easier to use. This is true of complex sets of pathways which correlate to our general outlook on life.

When we think positively, our brains begin building a positive pattern, making positivity more easy to identify. The same is true of negativity. So I very much agree that "that you think is important".

Where my issue with the "Law of Attraction" comes from is the belief that thoughts CREATE reality. This is utter bull. One example Ian gave on the show was oil, which was once considered a nuisance until human thought made it useful. No, oil was useful before that moment for the same reasons it is useful today, but that potential was unrealized. The "usefulness" capacity existed prior to a human thinking it was useful.

That distinction is important to me. I think it does a huge discredit to the ideas of positive thinking and personal achievement to wrap it up in some metaphysical BS.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Alex Libman

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

I'm disappointed in Ian.  What else can I say...

trollfreezone

Re: "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ia
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »

Show me a "Neo" and I may believe.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »

Maybe it was Jesus, but people grossly misunderstood what Jesus was talking about ...
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

trollfreezone

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »

Maybe it was Jesus, but people grossly misunderstood what Jesus was talking about ...

I know there has been a lot of hyperbole on the subject, but the concepts of Christ and Neo are distinctly separate.  Show me someone who can dodge bullets and all the crazy, frivolous things Neo does.

DataLifePlus

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »

This whole "Law of Attraction" thing really bothers me on the show. I've been meaning to call in or start on thread about it for a while now, but I guess I'll just rant here.

As I see it, as lovers of freedom and liberty, we have all used the tools of rational thought and logic to strip the veil of legitimacy away from coercive government.

Reason and logic are strongly on liberty's side, and we have all sharpened our mental tools by defending it as such. With our tools we have broken down the pseudosciences of not just government, but democracy and collectivism as well.

We are skeptics of government. But my skepticism doesn't stop there. I use the same tools that have led me to believe that government is not valid to weigh the validity of many other things, including big foot, chem trails, lizard men, and the law of attraction.

It saddens me on a personal level to see someone like Ian, who I know has the tools to see through such nonsense, fall into the so-called "law of attraction". If it is something Ian believes in, that's fine with me, I just don't really like hearing about it, and I certainly don't like Ian professing it as truth to people on the radio who trust him and believe what he says.

"Seeing it work in your own life" isn't proof enough for anything to be considered truth. I wish Ian would raise his standard of evidence in regards to the law of attraction and maybe apply some of those logical fallacies he (and I) seem to love.

I'd love to get your thoughts on this Ian. Thanks.

DogOn

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »

"Seeing it work in your own life" isn't proof enough for anything to be considered truth. I wish Ian would raise his standard of evidence in regards to the law of attraction and maybe apply some of those logical fallacies he (and I) seem to love.

Here here.

The same bullshit anecdotal experience is used to "prove" magnet therapy, chiropody, homeopathy, faith healing, and countless other bullshit.

"It works for me" is not scientific or logical, and you can use it to justify virtually anything so long your only measuring stick is your own feeling on the issue

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

Ian is not a rationalist. He is an emotionalist Libertarian. Very rare. His arguments begin and end with the NAP with zero interest or logical ties to anything else. It is inevitable that an adopted view with zero logical underpinnings will flounder over the sea of irrational shit. Ian doesn't have a rational philosophical base...

"Seeing it work in your own life"

...Which is why this is all he needs. Anecdotal evidence and confirmation bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I'd love to get your thoughts on this Ian. Thanks.

He's gonna say the same thing he's been saying. He doesn't need evidence. He believes it anyway and that should be good enough, and he doesn't care what you think.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »

I know there has been a lot of hyperbole on the subject, but the concepts of Christ and Neo are distinctly separate.  Show me someone who can dodge bullets and all the crazy, frivolous things Neo does.

Super Saiyan Jesus could do it.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

blackie

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »

If something works for you, that should be good enough.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 07:59:15 PM »

Pantheism doesn't clash with monotheism.

That said, I think the "Law of Attraction" is BS too.  Free Will is where its at, but you still have to obey the known laws of science in this universe.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Shouldn't the atheists be getting upset at my transition to pantheism?" -Ian

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 46 queries.