Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Newhampshireman", and other random thoughts about NH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Newhampshireman", and other random thoughts about NH  (Read 7995 times)

AlexLibman

"Newhampshireman", and other random thoughts about NH
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:25:36 PM »

• While reading the History of NH article on Wikipedia, I came across a word I never heard before - "Newhampshireman".  Presumably it's pronounced as one word, and is the correct and gender-nutral way of referring to someone from that great state.  If that's the case, why are there only like 50 online references of it according to Google?  Do we want to (re)popularize it?

• I'm a big fan of forests, so I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that New Hampshire is the #2 state in the nation by percentage of land covered with forests, second only to Maine!  This gov study PDF has some very interesting info about that, including private ownership statistics.

• According to 2003 ACF data, New Hampshire had 1.15% of its residents receiving Welfare, which is pretty low but there are 16 states that are lower.  The neighboring states of Mass (1.695% on welfare) and Vermont (2.044%) are close to the national average, which could have been expected, but it turns out that Maine (2.842%) is an even bigger freeloader magnet!  It's also interesting to look at changes in number of recipients from the year before, with Maine once again being a huge disappointment.  Anyway, I wonder how much those 1.15% in NH are getting from the government, and how much it would take to switch them over to private charity instead.

• A Wikipedia article called "New England town" is a very interesting read to the uninitiated.

Taors

Re: "Newhampshireman", and other random thoughts about NH
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:27:42 PM »

That's good to hear about the forests. I love my vision quests.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »

I'm a big fan of forests, so I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that New Hampshire is the #2 state in the nation by percentage of land covered with forests, second only to Maine!  This gov study PDF has some very interesting info about that, including private ownership statistics.
thats cool, I'm sure its relative to the size of the state, I dont see how NH could surpass AK in forests

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:57:12 PM »

Alex,
If you like forests, you'll love NH. It's very pretty here.
Julia

Trademark

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:00:50 PM »

Snowboarding........

Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »

And now, more random thoughts about New Hampshire:

• Google results for "newhampshireman" have jumped by ~100 since I started this thread.

• Forbes: New Hampshire named best state to own a car.  "In Hawaii, for example, owning a car for five years will cost the average driver $59,457. Compare that to New Hampshire, where the average car owner pays $47,599."

Blackie

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »

• Forbes: New Hampshire named best state to own a car.  "In Hawaii, for example, owning a car for five years will cost the average driver $59,457. Compare that to New Hampshire, where the average car owner pays $47,599."
um NH has yearly inspections.....

NHArticleTen

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »

um NH has yearly inspections.....

Well, since you brought it up...let's look very briefly at the NH Vehicle Inspection...
If you know the mechanic personally...or even not so much...your vehicle will probably pass unless there is something very much in need of correction...
If you don't know the mechanic and/or are not mechanically inclined...it's a way for the shop to "stay busy"...

For example, a vehicle didn't pass inspection for a ball joint(part of the front of the chassis that allows movement/changes in geometry of the chassis/suspension/steering components to facilitate turning and a smoother ride)...  I replaced the ball joint myself and found that the original joint was not worn out or even loose...  Most people do not have the capacity to inspect/change a ball joint so that's "easy money" for the shop...ball joints average around $40 to $80 each and are quickly replaced with the aid of normal shop tools like torches and impact wrenches...a shop estimate for this replacement might be around $250 to $400 depending on the shop...

Another "scam" is chassis rust...now I'm not saying that rust doesn't exist...I'm saying that it's an easy way for the shop to make money on a vehicle that is still 100 percent structurally sound...Say they find rust and fail the vehicle...and they give you a "courtesy estimate" for the repairs...say 4 hours labor at $85.00hr and $60.00 materials for a total repair cost of $400.00...so you need the vehicle to pass and you don't have the knowledge/skill/tools/location to do the work yourself so you agree to the "repair"...after you've left the vehicle at the shop they put it on the lift and spend a half hour total time on the repair($42.50 labor) twenty-five minutes with a wire wheel on a power tool and then five minutes to spray over the wire brushed spots with rubberized undercoating($4.00 spray can from Walmart) and they are done...The grease monkey gets paid $10.00hr so the shop pays him his $5.00 for the half hour and $4.00 for the can of undercoating(sure there are some other costs involved like electricity and such) and basically you've just paid $400.00 for a job that might have cost you a couple hours of your time and a can of undercoating from Walmart...If the shop does eight of these "repairs" from 8AM to Noon(half hour per job) that's $3200.00 gross if I've done my math correctly...and with the total costs of personnel/equipment/facilities/utilities/materials/consumables for the eight jobs at around maybe $400.00...now you can see why the shops LOVE the inspection scam...$2800.00 profit that they would not have "access" to...without the inspection system in place...

The above scenario, played out hundreds of times per day in New Hampshire alone, is outright fraud...it's despicable...and the inspection requirement should be ended...

Pretty neat huh!

John Shaw!

babalugatz

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:52 AM »

• Google results for "newhampshireman" have jumped by ~100 since I started this thread.

yeah, but if you own antique cars,like me,  you have to sequester them for @ 5-6 mos.; the road salt destroys them; salt air in hawaii does the same, i reckon, but i'd trade the overall climate & cost of car ownership any day, as i look out the window at the fucking snow, once again

babalugatz

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »

NHA:
MOST automotive garages DO NOT offer rust repair or bodywork. they don't have the facilities to offer such services. ie: spray booth, paint/chemical explosion-proof cabinets, or an entire garage bay devoted to rust repair, or bodywork.
that's why there are so many 'body shops'. they, in turn, don't do mechanical repairs...
fraud,regarding failed mechanical parts,is most likely a common occurence, but failure for rust? not so much.
(i used to work in a garage years ago, & performed inspections)

NHArticleTen

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:21:47 AM »

NHA:
MOST automotive garages DO NOT offer rust repair or bodywork. they don't have the facilities to offer such services. ie: spray booth, paint/chemical explosion-proof cabinets, or an entire garage bay devoted to rust repair, or bodywork.
that's why there are so many 'body shops'. they, in turn, don't do mechanical repairs...
fraud,regarding failed mechanical parts,is most likely a common occurence, but failure for rust? not so much.
(i used to work in a garage years ago, & performed inspections)

The whole point is that it's a scam/fraud...

And any garage with a lift can take care of "rust" on the underside/unibody/chassis of a vehicle...

Point being...the garage does NOT need any special equipment besides the equipment they already have(lift, grinder, wire wheel, can of undercoating)...

And if the customer is a regular with no "working knowledge" of the inspection criteria...or what chassis/unibody/underbody "rust" IS and is NOT structural...and/or passable...then they should be totally comfortable with the honesty of their service establishment...

As always...buyer beware...

I've seen more scams/fraud...scams/fraud on anything and everything...than I can even recount...

Example:  "Spelling your name in all capital letters is different than all lower case and/or spelled normally"...scam/fraud...(do people still fall for this?)

Re: The above example...clarification...IMHO...almost all "law" is a scam/fraud...like 99.999 percent...

IMHO...THE ONE LAW:  The Non-Aggression Principle (i.e. Don't start it...but make sure you repel/destroy those who commit aggression/force/fraud)

IMHO...Factual Reality:  Each and every human being living in the past/present/future could/can/will be put in one of two categories...

Category One:  All the human beings who observe the non-aggression principle and "just want to be left alone"...

Category Two:  All the human beings who "advocate/condone/endorse/employ/participate-in" aggression/force/fraud either "directly" and/or "indirectly"...MORE COMMONLY KNOWN AS "TAKERS"...WHO SHOULD ALWAYS BE REPELLED AND DESTROYED...

John Shaw!

burnthebeautiful

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »

yeah, but if you own antique cars,like me,  you have to sequester them for @ 5-6 mos.; the road salt destroys them; salt air in hawaii does the same, i reckon, but i'd trade the overall climate & cost of car ownership any day, as i look out the window at the fucking snow, once again

What cars do you own? I like antique cars and muscle cars.

babalugatz

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »

right now, i'm on a chev. 'task-force' series pickup kick.
they were produced from late '55 to '59-
very cutting-edge design at the time
i've got 2) 57 chev. long-bed stepsides (1- is a super rare NAPCO 4wd conversion)
1) 56 gmc longbed/stepside >also a NAPCO 4wd
it's a sickness.
one of my all time fav. cars was a 56 caddy model 62 sport coupe w/ continental kit...i got rid of it 6-7 yrs ago

Alex Libman

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »

• According to Wikipedia, the official state dance of New Hampshire is Salty Dog Rag (Dartmouth Outing Club).  This Everything2 node has the steps and the lyrics - sounds more like a southern dance to me!  C'mon, any Free Staters working on a new dance yet? :lol:

Alex Libman

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »

More random thoughts about New Hampshire:

• Old Farmer's Almanac just used its super-secret time-tested weather prognostication formula to announce that Global Cooling may be under way, which is pretty bad for those who wouldn't want New Hampshire to get any colder.

• On the other hand...  Global Cooling would mean less environmentalist bullshit, so you can turn the heat up and buy a hummer or two - which is in fact very good for living in colder-than-now New Hampshire.

• Global Cooling might also mean fewer Massholes moving north, which is a good thing, but what if Canadians start moving south?  And what do you call one anyway, a Canhole?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:53:01 AM by Alex Libman »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Newhampshireman", and other random thoughts about NH

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.