Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Just Live Free!" is not a magic spell
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Just Live Free!" is not a magic spell  (Read 2495 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
"Just Live Free!" is not a magic spell
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »

I was getting that feeling of banging my head against the wall right along with Mark while listening to last night's (2012/03/30) show. I empathize with your frustration, Mark. You're speaking very clearly for the most part.

The irony is Ian frequently calls bullshit on the guys who talk about the gold fringe and the magic words that are supposed to render the courts powerless. Ian points out that the courts and their thugs have all the power and they will do as they please, that they have propped up an illusion of legitimacy and flimsy construct of justifications for their behavior.

I get what Ian is trying to do. He's trying to wake people up, to get them to take the red pill. He's saying things that are technically correct--

Derrick wasn't doing anything wrong.
Badges don't grant extra rights.
The police officer's behavior was abhorrent.
etc.

But the're not awake yet! Just living free is not a strategy. The language you're using is going over the heads of people who are still asleep, people who aren't awakened to the ideas of liberty. Mark hears you and agrees with you, but there is a massive communication gap between Ian and many of the listeners, the ones who are not yet awake. The ones who understand you are already on your side. They need no convincing, just as Mark needs no convincing. Repeating "just live free" like a mantra and talking about cops as if they are regular people with no special rights due to their badges and so on is not bridging that communication gap.

Now Derrick is in jail. He didn't do anything wrong. He doesn't deserve to be there. He will undoubtedly pay a heavy price for not humoring the predominantly insane culture of statism, but the question is "Was it worth it?" Will he "wake up" the sleepers with videos like this? At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I think what Mark is trying to argue is not so much, certainly not compared to the price he will pay. Why not? Because most of your audience is watching the scene play out through a different filter, and you are failing to empathize with them at the stage where they are right now. Hence the communication gap.

A good teacher needs to know more than the subject material. A good teacher needs to be able to lower themselves down to the level of the student who doesn't yet know it.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: "Just Live Free!" is not a magic spell
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

Both Mark and Ian have a pretty good idea where we need to be. The diffrence is Mark has a better grasp, or at least shows it more than Ian does, of where we are right now when it comes to the average listener just tuning in for the first time.

This kind of stuff....

Ian - "OMG I cant believe that cop did that to him!"

Mark - "I can believe it"

Ian - "WHAT!?!?! YOU THINK ITS FINE FOR COPS TO ACT THAT WAY???"

Mark - "No, but thats how they act"

Ian acts suprised and Mark has to get pissed at him. Its Ian's schtick.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

I thought the video was funny. This is bad. In fact, on the chat, me and several others including quickmike were coming up with joke after joke about the whole thing, it wasn't a real challenge. And we are on Derrick's side from the get go. If the videos go viral it might make the free Keeners (and the free staters by proxy) look like a joke.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

If Ian lived in the manner of his ideals, he'd be in jail right now.

He's showed up to court, and adhered to the requirements of probation.

Otherwise, he'd be a wanted fugitive, and would be repeatedly arrested in larger and more serious offenses, culminating in indefinite incarceration.

This is why I don't subscribe to the principles of absolute autonomy and absolute rejection of authority.  It is an upward slope.

When the judge says "You'll have a one-year sentence, serve ninety days, and the other 270 suspended on probation,"  you then report to a probation officer, are required to pay a supervision fee monthly, and probably submit to urinalysis as a requirement of probation.  Refusal or failure remands you to serve the suspended term.

Since he is not serving the suspended term, I can assume he has paid the monthly fee, shown up for probation appointments, and urinated on command - clean of intoxicants.  He is also probably forbidden to leave the state without permission, have firearms in his residence, and submit to spot-checks whenever his PO shows up at his residence.  He must also report a change of address to his PO within 72 hours if he changes legal residence.

None of this is voluntary.  It is mandatory.  And mandatory is the exact opposite of "living free".  

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »

A good teacher needs to know more than the subject material. A good teacher needs to be able to lower themselves down to the level of the student who doesn't yet know it.
^this

Actually, this whole thread, but especially this.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:55:25 AM »

^this

Actually, this whole thread, but especially this.

^that

I care for and respect Derrick as a person, but I respectfully submit that his judgement was just wrong.

In the battle of hearts and minds of the local community, his act just took the state of the PR efforts back 18,000%.  The "main stream" does not understand the NAP yet, and until they do, doing things like this just boosts their support of the state's response.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:17:01 AM by Highline »
-/-

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »

I would like to add that merely cranking up the volume is not the same as bridging the communication gap. If only it were that easy.

FREE DERRICK J. - CALL FLOOD
http://www.facebook.com/events/212389762200409/

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »

http://ladiesinkeene.com/lik-podcast/
I called in and commented on how foolish I thought Derrick looked. (4-1-2012 show) Ali now hates me.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

I heard your call. The response was... predictable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Just Live Free!" is not a magic spell

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.