Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "If voting worked, it would be illegal."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "If voting worked, it would be illegal."  (Read 5966 times)

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
Re: "If voting worked, it would be illegal."
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »

My main point was just that something being legal doesn't make it useless in the quest for human freedom.

There is no relation to something being legal and how useful it is in the quest for human freedom.  So, yes, I agree with you.  I am not sure that voting is even designed as a tool to increase human freedom.  It is a true, but is often used to decrease human freedom.

Absolutely. Voting is more often used to decrease my freedom. But it can be used to increase it.
It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "If voting worked, it would be illegal."
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

My main point was just that something being legal doesn't make it useless in the quest for human freedom.

There is no relation to something being legal and how useful it is in the quest for human freedom.  So, yes, I agree with you.  I am not sure that voting is even designed as a tool to increase human freedom.  It is a true, but is often used to decrease human freedom.

Absolutely. Voting is more often used to decrease my freedom. But it can be used to increase it.

You bet!  I don't vote for people, but I do vote down every initiative and referendum that makes the government larger, more debt driven, and more intrusive.  Occasionally, I vote for one that reverses that process (usually constitutional amendments forbidding the legislature to make certain types of laws.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "If voting worked, it would be illegal."

// ]]>

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 32 queries.