Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "If voting worked, it would be illegal."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "If voting worked, it would be illegal."  (Read 5934 times)

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
"If voting worked, it would be illegal."
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

I've heard Stephanie and I think Ian say, "If voting worked, it would be illegal."

That doesn't really make sense to me. Lets think of a bunch of things that can help bring about liberty that are not illegal.

Joining the Free State Project
Having pro-liberty radio shows.
Writing pro-liberty books
Porcfest
Podcasts
Protests
Meetings
Websites

All of the above must not work, right?

I am not saying that voting works, but something being legal doesn't preclude it from bringing about more liberty.

"If having liberty loving people move to one state would bring about liberty, it would be illegal."

It might not be very big around, but it sure is short!

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: "If voting worked, it would be illegal."
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

Even voting works. I've seen it happen. Shit, I've helped make it happen.
We got rid of a State Rep who wanted an income tax.
We elected just enough State Senators to reject a seat-belt law.
We elected enough State Reps to repeal all knife laws.
...and so on...

From what I have seen in ~6 years of hardcore NH activism, voting is the one thing that's worked best and most obviously, out of all forms of activism.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »

voting is the one thing that's worked best and most obviously, out of all forms of activism.

Cept of course, chalking the sidewalks.

Nothing beats that.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

BonerJoe

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:42:47 AM »

voting is the one thing that's worked best and most obviously, out of all forms of activism.

Nothing beats that.

It makes us freer.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:00:24 AM »

Nothing beats that.

It makes us freer.

Thats the chalk tycoons telling people that.

Its propoganda.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:17:12 AM »

Even voting works. I've seen it happen. Shit, I've helped make it happen.
We got rid of a State Rep who wanted an income tax.
We elected just enough State Senators to reject a seat-belt law.
We elected enough State Reps to repeal all knife laws.
...and so on...

From what I have seen in ~6 years of hardcore NH activism, voting is the one thing that's worked best and most obviously, out of all forms of activism.

I agree that voting can work.

My main point was just that something being legal doesn't make it useless in the quest for human freedom.

The logical consequences of that notion are ridiculous. Its just as silly as saying something like, "An eye for eye makes the world blind."

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

The voter's wishes are routinely ignored in my state of Washington, and I believe the same is true elsewhere. For example, this past election the public overwhelmingly approved ending the state's long monopoly on selling liquor. Now, the state is looking at any way possible to circumvent the voter's decision.

This happens every election. The public passes some initiative, and then the state says something to the effect of, "Oh, well--we'd love to comply. Just LOVE to. But, surely the voters didn't actually intend for this outcome to happen. They're just miffed right now. Yeah, THAT's the ticket! The voters merely wished to send us a message that they want us to do better in the future."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »

The voter's wishes are routinely ignored in my state of Washington, and I believe the same is true elsewhere. For example, this past election the public overwhelmingly approved ending the state's long monopoly on selling liquor. Now, the state is looking at any way possible to circumvent the voter's decision.

This happens every election. The public passes some initiative, and then the state says something to the effect of, "Oh, well--we'd love to comply. Just LOVE to. But, surely the voters didn't actually intend for this outcome to happen. They're just miffed right now. Yeah, THAT's the ticket! The voters merely wished to send us a message that they want us to do better in the future."

I agree with you. But voting can work. It often doesn't, though.

Anyways, the initial point was that the legality of voting has little to do with its ability to promote freedom. Is free talk live not promoting freedom?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »

Joining the Free State Project
Having pro-liberty radio shows.
Writing pro-liberty books
Porcfest
Podcasts
Protests
Meetings
Websites

Governments didn't invent those things specifically to make people feel like they have a say and to busy them with something time-consuming and trivial so that they wouldn't actually pursue means that might have an impact. Whether any of those other things work is up for debate (just as voting is) but there's something to the slogan assuming you don't over-analyze it semantically. And if any particular exercise of a tactic does have a serious impact, I expect them to find a way to justify using violence to stop it, i.e. make it illegal.

Tom Foppiano

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »

Governments didn't invent those things specifically to make people feel like they have a say and to busy them with something time-consuming and trivial so that they wouldn't actually pursue means that might have an impact. Whether any of those other things work is up for debate (just as voting is) but there's something to the slogan assuming you don't over-analyze it semantically. And if any particular exercise of a tactic does have a serious impact, I expect them to find a way to justify using violence to stop it, i.e. make it illegal.

I basically agree with you and often wonder if the so called American experiment produced more tyranny than would have existed otherwise. I've been told things like, "We ARE the government," because of the fact that people can vote. So I see your point.

But I don't think I was "over-analyzing it semantically." The voting slogan is very, very clear. Because voting is legal, it must not be effective. And I disagree with that statement.

And the hosts on FTL constantly get involved in semantics. They jump all over things like, "We invaded Iraq." Or, "The citizens need to stand up for their rights."

And Merry Christmas/Buddha/Atheist/Jesus Time. Ho Ho Ho or whatever.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »

And Merry Christmas/Buddha/Atheist/Jesus Time.
personally, I celebrate Isaac Newton's birthday.

25 December 1642

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »

True dat.  In Colorado, the legislature had done everything they possibly can to make Medical Cannabis go away, even though it's a right for a patient or caregiver to grow, harvest, and exchange it.  They were even "thoughtful" enough to make a law telling counties they can zone it out of existence if they like.  Two guesses what most counties did.  WTF?

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »

I've heard Stephanie and I think Ian say, "If voting worked, it would be illegal."

It doesn't just not make sense to you, it doesn't make any sense at all.  It is a completely illogical statement of opinion.  It is impossible to prove that the statement is true. 

In fact, it is easy to prove the statement incorrect.  However, I think it is reasonable for a very jaded person to hear the statement, put almost no thought into it, and agree with it.  For example, everyone knows that voting works sometimes.  However, perhaps someone in their head could think that the statement really means that voting usually doesn't allow people that think just like me to get what I want out of it.  Of course, the statement doesn't mean that at all.  It doesn't matter what the statement actually means.  People are capable of pretending the meaning is whatever they want to justify their nonsensical opinion.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »

My main point was just that something being legal doesn't make it useless in the quest for human freedom.

There is no relation to something being legal and how useful it is in the quest for human freedom.  So, yes, I agree with you.  I am not sure that voting is even designed as a tool to increase human freedom.  It is a true, but is often used to decrease human freedom.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »

personally, I celebrate Isaac Newton's birthday.

25 December 1642

Not me.

Because of that A-Hole, I have to pick up crab apples off my back yard every year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "If voting worked, it would be illegal."

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.