Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "dystopian" literature
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "dystopian" literature  (Read 14204 times)

mrapplecastle

"dystopian" literature
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:44 AM »

I just finished reading the Iron Heel, which is listed as dystopian along with other classics like 1984, brave new world, and atlas shrugged.
Does anyone have any recommendations to any other fiction books that fit this niche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_science_fiction#Novels
anarcho-cap fiction

The Iron Heel was'nt all that great, I'm going to start on Atlas Shrugged next....hopefully it'll be better  :D

Brian Wolf

Re: "dystopian" literature
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:16:00 AM »

I just finished reading the Iron Heel, which is listed as dystopian along with other classics like 1984, brave new world, and atlas shrugged.
Does anyone have any recommendations to any other fiction books that fit this niche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_science_fiction#Novels
anarcho-cap fiction

The Iron Heel was'nt all that great, I'm going to start on Atlas Shrugged next....hopefully it'll be better  :D

I really like 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson.
All though, I am not sure if a lot of Libertarians would agree that it is dystopian.
Its sort of the free market run amok, or maybe its a democrats nightmare. 
I don't' really think it sounds like a great place to live myself, but to each his own.
I do want the Metaverse though.
Anyway its a pretty fun read.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:42:51 AM »

Left-leaning sci-fi writers always seem to conceive of "corporate dystopia," wherein corporations have completed their takeover of government and become de facto authorities over people.

They're describing a society which could never arise in the form in which they conceive it; the nearest such form of dystopia is the form we see around us today.

Corporations require a host government to force people to do things; without it, they're just another business you can take or leave.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »

another one I read a couple of months back was rebel fire, it's aimed at a teen audience but was'nt bad. 

I'll have to see if my library has Snow Crash

Brian Wolf

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:55:25 AM »

Left-leaning sci-fi writers always seem to conceive of "corporate dystopia," wherein corporations have completed their takeover of government and become de facto authorities over people.
They're describing a society which could never arise in the form in which they conceive it; the nearest such form of dystopia is the form we see around us today.
Corporations require a host government to force people to do things; without it, they're just another business you can take or leave.

I am not sure what Neal's political leanings are. He is a pretty complicated guy, and he does not preach about society. He creates interesting ones to set his stories in.

Check out this excerpt from Reason Magazine

Reason: Snow Crash is almost a parody of a libertarian future. Do you think the affinity-group-based societies you outline in that book are on their way? Do you see that as a warning note, or a natural state we're progressing toward?

Stephenson: I dreamed up the Snow Crash world 15 years ago as a thought experiment, and I tweaked it to be as funny and outrageous and graphic novel�like as I could make it. Such a world wouldn't be stable unless each little "burbclave" had the ability to defend itself from all external threats. This is not plausible, barring some huge advances in defensive technology. So I think that if I were seriously to address your question, "Do you see that as a warning note, or a natural state...?," I would be guilty of taking myself a little bit too seriously.

Speaking as an observer who has many friends with libertarian instincts, I would point out that terrorism is a much more formidable opponent of political liberty than government. Government acts almost as a recruiting station for libertarians. Anyone who pays taxes or has to fill out government paperwork develops libertarian impulses almost as a knee-jerk reaction. But terrorism acts as a recruiting station for statists. So it looks to me as though we are headed for a triangular system in which libertarians and statists and terrorists interact with each other in a way that I'm afraid might turn out to be quite stable.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »

the statist is the terrorist

Trademark

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:12 PM »

Ray Bradburys, "The Illustraded Man" is a classic. You can get it on paper back for about 10 bones. It's worth it to have it in your study. Did you understand that you stupid fucking redneck?!  :P

Trademark

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »

anarcho-cap fiction

I really like 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson.
All though, I am not sure if a lot of Libertarians would agree that it is dystopian.
Its sort of the free market run amok, or maybe its a democrats nightmare. 
I don't' really think it sounds like a great place to live myself, but to each his own.
I do want the Metaverse though.
Anyway its a pretty fun read.
That book is hella long right B?

mrapplecastle

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »

Ray Bradburys, "The Illustraded Man" is a classic. You can get it on paper back for about 10 bones. It's worth it to have it in your study. Did you understand that you stupid fucking redneck?! :P
i have it already and fahrenheit 451
my library has atlas shrugged in their system, but the book is nowhere to be found  :lol:
so I'll read me some ray bradbury  :D

Trademark

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »

Ray Bradburys, "The Illustraded Man" is a classic. You can get it on paper back for about 10 bones. It's worth it to have it in your study. Did you understand that you stupid fucking redneck?! :P
i have it already and fahrenheit 451
my library has atlas shrugged in their system, but the book is nowhere to be found  :lol:
so I'll read me some ray bradbury  :D
Well then give me some decent Sci-Fi books dood. I like twisted space stories.

<--This one roxxxxxxx!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:27:00 PM by Trademark »

Taors

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »

Stephen King's The Stand.

Trademark

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:11 PM »

Stephen King's The Stand.
There were aspects of that I liked, but over all it was kind of corny.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress  :?

hostile takeover trilogy seems like it would be interesting
Hostile Takeover is a science fiction trilogy (actually one long novel in three parts) written by S. Andrew Swann and published by DAW Books where the main setting is the Anarcho-capitalist planet of Bakunin. It consists of three books titled Profiteer, Partisan and Revolutionary, which were published between 1995 and 1996 and re-released by DAW in a single volume in 2004.

Cable

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »

"We" is usually listed right alongside 1984 and Brave New World.  I own it, but I had a hard time getting into it.  Ayn Rand's Anthem is a much quicker, much less aggravating dystopian novella than Atlas Shrugged (One thing I can't stand about Rand's novels is the characters don't seem human.  They NEVER make a decision that isn't based on their philosophy, have no flaws (or at least act like it...i'd call not acting human a flaw :P), no moments of indecision (in fact you rarely get to see what they're thinking about, just what they say or see), and they to go on huge monologues espousing philosophy and preaching, preaching, preaching. 

Plus she's extremely long winded and has to describe fucking everything, and she seems to hate other people, except for whoever the love interest is (you should read her monologue against the word 'we' in Anthem).  Plus she seems to be completely against charity or helping other people out, even when it's voluntarily given.  They are hard reads for me, and one of my classrooms witnessed me throwing The Fountainhead across the room in anger multiple times while I was reading it.  I made it all the way through that one, but I couldn't stomach too much of Atlas Shrugged.

I have to credit her to leading me to find out about Libertarianism, though, because when reading about her Objectivist philosophy and hating the really cruel and selfish bits, I encountered the term and found Libertarianism much less barbaric and appealing :P.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:51:00 PM by Cable »

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »

A friend once loaned me this: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid's_Tale

I enjoyed it.  It's VERY dystopian.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "dystopian" literature

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.