Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Christian" pwnd by Ian and Mark [Video]
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Christian" pwnd by Ian and Mark [Video]  (Read 3373 times)

aim_high

• View Profile
"Christian" pwnd by Ian and Mark [Video]
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »

Knife, gunfight?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6VoA2D5TEvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6VoA2D5TEvs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: "Christian" pwnd by Ian and Mark [Video]
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »

I was rather impressed with that when I heard it as well.

Poor guy went in with "but scripture says", and nothing else.

Mark's "Show the the word "trinity" anywere in the bible" was excellent.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:15:15 PM »

The Bible doesn't say that God is "all in all"; 1 Corithians 15:28 (where the phrase is found) says that God the Father will put all things under subjection to Christ, so that God will then become "all in all".  Besides that, the phrase concerns God's relevance rather than His essence, I think.  Besides that, Romans 1:25 says: "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen."  So God is a separate entity from the creation--the universe.  On a side note, I am impressed that Mark seems to grasp the concept of God's superior relevance to ourselves, when he says that God would not be worried about whether we praise Him or not.  However, given that God is an infinite Being that exists outside of time and space, I think that it is no trouble at all for God to be concerned with each individual; in the parlance of D&D, everything God does is a "free action"; He doesn't expend energy when He does something.  And since we humans were created for the purpose of praising God, then it is in our interests, not His, for us to do that very thing (after all, He has myriads of angels who do nothing but praise Him continually). 

It seemed to me that Frank answered the question "If God knows everything, then He ordained all activities to occur (i.e. the popular view of the doctrine of Predestination)" adequately--as the question was stated.  God's foreknowledge is not the same as God forcing people to choose one course of action over another.  I get the impression that the questioner meant to ask something along the lines of "If God knew everything that would happen once He created the universe, then doesn't the act of creating the universe anyway make Him blameworthy for all the evil that arose?"  Well, that's a good question;  I would say (along with Frank) that God's act of creating man, even though He knows that man will choose rebellion over relationship, still does not force man to choose the way he does.

It's true that the word "Trinity" does not appear in Scripture; however, there are certain things we do know that leads to the doctrine.  First, only God is to be worshipped.  Secondly, in contradistinction to angels who alway rejected attempts by men to worship them, Jesus accepted such worship, indicating his divine nature.  Thirdly, Jesus always put Himself forth as Someone separate from the Father.  Fourthly, Jesus, at the occasion of His ascension, instructed His followers to baptise new disciples in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  I'm sure there are other Scriptures that I'm forgetting support the Trinitarian doctrine.
For God and Free Trade

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »

Any argument pro-god that starts with "god did this because" is utterly ridiculous from the start.

That would suggest god is reacting to something external, or something beyond his control or knowledge that he didnt forsee.

BAH
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »

Atheism > Polytheism > Pantheism > Monotheism
On a coolness scale.
A spiral galaxy, one of the coolest things in the universe.

Anubis, one of the coolest gods from a polytheistic religion.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

DontTreadOnMike

• View Profile
    • DontTreadOnMike Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »

On a coolness scale.

Athiesm>Monotheism>Pantheism>Polytheism

In the order of likelihood that each system will produce obnoxious douche bags. Polytheism is only last because they are rarely encountered in western society.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »

On a coolness scale.

In the order of likelihood that each system will produce obnoxious douche bags. Polytheism is only last because they are rarely encountered in western society.

Sure, indignation is rampant among atheists.  To our defense, how obnoxious would you act if the majority of people in the world continually tried to tell you unicorns exist or that 2+2=3?  It's fucking annoying.

DontTreadOnMike

• View Profile
    • DontTreadOnMike Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »

On a coolness scale.

Sure, indignation is rampant among atheists.  To our defense, how obnoxious would you act if the majority of people in the world continually tried to tell you unicorns exist or that 2+2=3?  It's fucking annoying.

Oh I totally agree haha

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »

On a coolness scale.

Oh I totally agree haha

When people talk about the awe and might of their god(s) or sing about it, I think of the awe and might of a supernova:

Oh, and that we know that these explosions took place billions of years ago.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

DontTreadOnMike

• View Profile
    • DontTreadOnMike Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »

What's your point?

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »

What's your point?

That our universe is awesome. In the "cool" and "awe inspiring" definitions of the word.

DontTreadOnMike

• View Profile
    • DontTreadOnMike Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »

Oh ok. Well then bravo good sir.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  "Christian" pwnd by Ian and Mark [Video]

// ]]>

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 32 queries.