Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  $1.50 a gallon gasoline
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: $1.50 a gallon gasoline  (Read 7535 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
$1.50 a gallon gasoline
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:10:07 AM »

http://fuelcellsworks.com/news/2011/01/27/cella-hydrogen-based-synthetic-fuel-with-no-carbon-emissions/

"UK-based Cella Energy has developed a synthetic fuel that could lead to US$1.50 per gallon gasoline. It is hydrogen based fuel and produces no carbon emissions when burned. The technology is based on complex hydrides, and has been developed over a four year top secret program at the prestigious Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford. Early indications are that the fuel can be used in existing internal combustion engined vehicles without engine modification."
For God and Free Trade

BonerJoe

Re: $1.50 a gallon gasoline
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »

Labrotory explodes under mysterious circumstances.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »

Found the same article the other day and posted it at the SGU (Skeptics Guide to the Universe) forums.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:03:17 AM »

Something tells me that even if this new fuel is all its cracked up to be, the "powers that be" would never allow it to get to market, at least not until they can sell all of the black goo in the ground first.

Im not defending their position, but think about all the companies linked to oil that would suddenly be put out of business immediately after this stuff went to market. All the CEO''s, oil company accountants, lawyers,stock values, drilling companies, millions of lower level workers........ the list goes on and on.

Anyone think they would let some invention get in the way of all that commerce? US presidents have been killed for far less than this.

Black market would be nice though. Meet your dealer in the alley for "10 gallons of the good stuff"
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »

Cool, except impossible. The definition of combustion is a reaction oxygen and carbon are  fuels, and the byproducts are heat and water. At least thats what I learned in high school chem.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »

Why does this have to be a conspiracy? If it is true (and I doubt it), the "powers that be" will be falling all over themselves to get licensing, reverse engineer, or invent an alternative to cash in on the demand for the product as quickly as possible. Businesses are in the game for profits, and cartel pricing is extremely difficult to maintain. Just my take.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

If it is true (and I doubt it), the "powers that be" will be falling all over themselves to get licensing, reverse engineer, or invent an alternative to cash in on the demand for the product as quickly as possible.

That's what I thought about thermal depolymerization.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:22 PM »

Cool, except impossible. The definition of combustion is a reaction oxygen and carbon are  fuels, and the byproducts are heat and water. At least thats what I learned in high school chem.

Um, either you or your chemistry teacher was confused.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »

Um, either you or your chemistry teacher was confused.

Damn that was a poorly worded post I made. This is what I mean:

"Combustion or burning is the sequence of exothermic chemical reactions between a fuel and an oxidant               accompanied by the production of heat and conversion of chemical species...........
.....A simple example can be seen in the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen, which is a commonly used reaction in rocket engines:

2 H2 + O2 → 2 H2O(g) + heat

The result is water vapor.

Complete combustion is almost impossible to achieve. In reality, as actual combustion reactions come to equilibrium, a wide variety of major and minor species will be present such as carbon monoxide and pure carbon (soot or ash). Additionally, any combustion in atmospheric air, which is 78% nitrogen, will also create several forms of nitrogen oxides."

Source is Wikipedia.

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »

I'm sure that all they need are "a few investors" to bring this new miracle product to market.  :wink:
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

I'm sure that all they need are "a few investors" to bring this new miracle product to market.  :wink:

aw, crud....do you think I can get my $5,000 back?
For God and Free Trade

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »

aw, crud....do you think I can get my $5,000 back?

Ishtar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

How much would the stuff actually cost after the government is done taxing it to death?

Oil prices are artificially high, in part, because the government taxes all through the system, that all get calculated back to the end user, on top of the 10% or something that's directly taxed.

The oil companies would make less, but the industry wouldn't just disappear, most of our modern day plastics and polymers are based on oil, along with a shit load of other products.

Further, even if this new fuel is actually produceable on a large enough scale, which is going to take at least a decade (it takes quite a while to build a large scale chemical plant, and even longer than it should thanks to Uncle Sam) it still needs to be distributed.
The oil companies already have the infrastructure in place for that and can easily make a lot of profit just from doing that.

If the price quoted is correct for large scale production, the fact that it's produced so much cheaper will recoup for a lot of their losses in the oil industry, seeing that oil has a high production cost.

I don't think it would meet much resistance from becoming our next fuel, considering all things involved... IF the stuff actually works, and IF it can easily and cheaply be produced.

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »

How much would the stuff actually cost after the government is done taxing it to death?

Oil prices are artificially high, in part, because the government taxes all through the system, that all get calculated back to the end user, on top of the 10% or something that's directly taxed.

The oil companies would make less, but the industry wouldn't just disappear, most of our modern day plastics and polymers are based on oil, along with a shit load of other products.

Further, even if this new fuel is actually produceable on a large enough scale, which is going to take at least a decade (it takes quite a while to build a large scale chemical plant, and even longer than it should thanks to Uncle Sam) it still needs to be distributed.
The oil companies already have the infrastructure in place for that and can easily make a lot of profit just from doing that.

If the price quoted is correct for large scale production, the fact that it's produced so much cheaper will recoup for a lot of their losses in the oil industry, seeing that oil has a high production cost.

I don't think it would meet much resistance from becoming our next fuel, considering all things involved... IF the stuff actually works, and IF it can easily and cheaply be produced.
It wouldn't take that long.Many companies, like Koch Industries, have huge infrastructure already in place (chemical plants, truck fleets, etc...) and are always on the lookout for the next big profit product (Koch bought a toilet paper mfg'er right before everything went to shit, so they seem to be able to read the market). If the product is nearly as viable as its made out to be, it'll be ready for government testing in 2-4 years and the government(s) should be done with it within 4-25 years, after which mass production would ramp up VERY quickly. Meh, I'm just speculating.

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Ishtar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »

Euhm, yeah.... I said it would take quite a while... a decade or so.

A decade is 10 years, you claim it would be anywhere from 6 to 29 years...

10 years fall in between 6 and 29 years, so are you actually disagreeing with me on that point?

Having chemical plants in place does not mean that those chemical plants are actually able to produce this new fuel.
Most chemical plants make very very specific things and can't just randomly be switched to making other things.

Most chemical plants also already have high profiting output markets which won't just be given up on because the new thing comes along.
Companies rarely want to decrease their market, even if they've got a new "goose with golden eggs".
It's therefore much more likely that plants will be added than that current plants will take over full responsibility for the production of this stuff.

Building a new plant is a 10 year process from plans to full production, so that's going to take a while.

Seeing that building a plant takes 10 years, at the very least it will be 10 years before they can produce this stuff at the rate that we currently use oil and this new stuff takes over the market from oil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  $1.50 a gallon gasoline

// ]]>

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.