Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  LPFM?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPFM?  (Read 9986 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
LPFM?
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »

So, I want to broadcast the LRN signal, but don't want to break Federal laws in order to do so. Part-15 is too weak to be worth it.
Low Power FM is the only realistic option for a non-pirate like me.
Coverage is about 3.5 mi radius, according to the FCC, but I bet 5 mi can be done within spec. That would be just fine.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/lpfm/index.html
These stations are authorized for noncommercial educational broadcasting only (no commercial operation) and operate with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 watts (0.1 kilowatts) or less, with maximum facilities of 100 watts ERP at 30 meters (100 feet) antenna height above average terrain (HAAT). The approximate service range of a 100 watt LPFM station is 5.6 kilometers (3.5 miles radius). LPFM stations are not protected from interference that may be received from other classes of FM stations. A construction permit is required before a LPFM station can be constructed or operated.

The page talks about required "construction permits", I wonder if it's even legal to just slap an antenna on top of your 2-story house and be done with it.

It can't be that un-doable... I see freakin' Churches with LPFM licenses in Concord:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?state=NH&serv=FL&vac=&list=2

Says it can't be granted to individuals, but can be to nonprofits. I bet the NHLA wouldn't mind having a radio station. Or a nonprofit could be created just for this purpose, that's not hard.

The biggest obstacle is that THEY HAVEN'T GRANTED NEW LICENSES IN 10 YEARS, and give no indication of when new licenses will be available. WTF kind of joke is this? Am I missing something?
NOTICE: We cannot advise as to when the next application filing window might be. Future window filing dates will be posted here, and announced by Public Notice.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: LPFM?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »

Unless I'm mistaken, there are commercials within the stream.

Would that make it "commercial" vs "non-commercial"?
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

ForumTroll

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »

http://www.current.org/tech/tech0207lpfm.html

It was basically a law written for a certain church organization, which then went and got almost all the broadcasting licenses. Don't expect them to open it up ever again.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:58:52 PM by BonerJoe »

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »

Welcome to the FCC - now, please wait while we decide if we want to even give you the chance to beg for our permission slip.  

Alternately, you could buy an existing license or construction permit.  There's a 6kW FM construction permit for sale in Berlin, NH for $75,000.  Of course, you could fund dozens of pirate/community stations for that price - and that's just for a construction permit!

Another option is to lease time from an existing station at a cost of likely thousands per month.  Again, probably enough to launch one or two well-funded pirate transmitters per month.

Why worry, Denis?  They always send notice to you before they conduct a raid.  Just power down and move the equipment to a new location.  Surely some activist would be up for being your backup.  Besides, LRN isn't exactly FCC-license-friendly. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:58:33 PM by FTL_Ian »
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

Unfortunately, this all just means I can't pursue this activity at this time.
If someone else were to set up, erm, "community radio", I would likely support them in some way or another. After all, I got a "Novice" ham radio license waaaaay back in the late-70's, so maybe I could give them "technical advice". Yeah, that's the ticket...

ForumTroll

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »

If someone else were to set up, erm, "community radio", I would likely support them in some way or another.

Until they get in the paper and it's connected to the FSP somehow. Then you will say they're poisoning the well.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:14:13 AM »

If someone else were to set up, erm, "community radio", I would likely support them in some way or another.

Until they get in the paper and it's connected to the FSP somehow. Then you will say they're poisoning the well.

LRN pirate broadcast isn't in-your-face in the way that, say, a freakin' BULLHORN in the park is.

ForumTroll

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

LRN pirate broadcast isn't in-your-face in the way that, say, a freakin' BULLHORN in the park is.

You disassociate yourself from anyone that gets into trouble with the law. Why would you deviate from your prerogative this time?

Lefty Conservative

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »

Unfortunately, this all just means I can't pursue this activity at this time.
If someone else were to set up, erm, "community radio", I would likely support them in some way or another. After all, I got a "Novice" ham radio license waaaaay back in the late-70's, so maybe I could give them "technical advice". Yeah, that's the ticket...
What's your call?  Mine is KB0OXD

I'm with you Goddard.  As much as I'd like to just grab my ICOM IC-706 MKII-G & climb as high as I can on my political soapbox, the fact of the matter is not only would I be in violation of Federal law & risk losing my license in the process but I also wouldn't have a very big audience listening to me to begin with (No HF antenna & nothing to make one with).

That's why I turn to Internet Radio where the WHOLE WORLD[/u][/i] is my oyster :D

Would I like to add a Part 15 or LPFM TXer to that?  Of course I would.  Even as I type this, I'm debating whether to go all OTR (Old Time Radio), all talk or even a combination of both Talk & OTR if I only had one TXer.  But all that may become a moot point as I'll soon be moving into a ground floor apartment (A High Rise Building).  It's got a patio but it's not going to be easy getting an RF signal out (No matter what service I'm on, band I'm on or how much output power I run).

I'm even gonna have to use the Internet just to talk with other Hams (We have our own ways of accomplishing this :D ).

So there you have it - My situation FWIW.....

Cheers :D

Pat Cook
HOST - The Left Wing Conservative
Denver, CO
Website | NEW Studio Line - 724-444-7444 Call ID 82279

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »

I remember touring scientific place with a ham radio as a kid. It was outdated even then.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

RFBurns

• View Profile
    • KROCKS RadioOne ZeroPointRadio
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »

They always send notice to you before they conduct a raid.....

Wish this was the case for me back in 91 in Odessa Tx. I ran a 400 watt FM on 107.7 for 3 years till an insider decided to be stupid and make a phone call. Needless to say....he cant dial numbers with that one hand anymore.

Anyway...there was no notice. There was no "heads up". There were FBI, ATF, local sheriff and city police, county and state troopers, 4 or 5 national guard reservists, all came crashing through the door with guns held high and I am standing there by myself with a schematic and soldering iron in hand.

Man I must have really been doing something right to have so many federal friends drop by. Maybe they wanted to be interviewed.

The field engineer was very impressed with the home made tx and antenna system. He even said it was putting out a cleaner signal than the licenses stations were. So I said.."well why are you F*ng with me then...go after those idiots."

Ever since I have always believed that if a non-licensed operation can demonstrate the system meeting or exceeding the technical requirements in spectral purity and signal stability, they should be granted non-conditional approval to operate as long as their operations are serving the public interest and keeping things decent.

But we all know the current system is merely to protect the big corporate controlled media. After all, when was the last time a new license was granted for ANY new station, radio or television!

And it does not look like they will be granting any new licenses or even construction permits any time soon.

RFB
KROCKS ZPR 92.3 FM/1670 AM Stereo Online 128K/48K/24AAC+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  LPFM?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.