Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  "Ham" license?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ham" license?  (Read 15024 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
"Ham" license?
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

I got my Novice Class license when I was a kid and haven't used any ham radio equipment for 20+ years.
But I got to thinking... assuming I wish to remain legal and (probably) not harassed by the "authorities", would holding a license help at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_licensing_in_the_United_States

Suppose I got an "Amateur Extra Class" license. Is there any AM or FM band on which I would then be legally allowed to transmit?

AntonLee

Re: "Ham" license?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

I got mine when I was younger too, I believe you can only use your license on Ham frequencies.   They used to tell me stories of the FCC VAN who would drive around looking for those broadcasting illegally on Ham frequencies. . . they'd turn the antenna thing and it would become silence when you were in the direction of the criminal.

After I got my license, all I ever heard was an over-abundance of non-licensed users.  I got the amateur license without morse code.  Cause I have no intention on using it ever again.  I had to take the test twice, it was such a waste of my time, and it was never really that fun.  I got myself a CB and had a whole lot more fun.  My handle was N1NEJ on Ham and "T-Bone" on CB. . . which sucked because there are like 5,000,000 users calling themselves T-Bone.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:24 AM »

I got mine when I was younger too, I believe you can only use your license on Ham frequencies.   They used to tell me stories of the FCC VAN who would drive around looking for those broadcasting illegally on Ham frequencies. . . they'd turn the antenna thing and it would become silence when you were in the direction of the criminal.

After I got my license, all I ever heard was an over-abundance of non-licensed users.  I got the amateur license without morse code.  Cause I have no intention on using it ever again.  I had to take the test twice, it was such a waste of my time, and it was never really that fun.  I got myself a CB and had a whole lot more fun.  My handle was N1NEJ on Ham and "T-Bone" on CB. . . which sucked because there are like 5,000,000 users calling themselves T-Bone.

I believe this is the case.  I've heard stories of FCC vans locating non-licensed users and fining/arresting them also.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Tracer Tong

• neener neener neener
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • Mind your own business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:02:19 AM »

I had to get one of these licenses several years ago as a pre-req to designing and building some radio transceivers in an undergrad lab -- did that, then never touched anything relevant to the license again.

Hrm, that probably isn't the most helpful reply, sorry :|
Good.  We begin to operate from a position of strength.
We will start manufacturing the swords and distributing them to our allies.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »

No, having a Ham ticket would only add to the evidence that you knew you were operating illegally.
I got the Tech+ ticket and only used it at field day. I've never known, seen, or read a legit story of anyone getting caught or busted for operating on a Ham channel. I heard endless stories and warnings at Ham club meetings and CB club meetings. They're just stories.

There is a 2 meter repeater out here in So. Cal that is know as the Disney channel. It has consistant traffic with unlicensed users, cursing, music, squashing, and so on. It has been that way for about a decade.
Liberate America!

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »

I wanna get a "Cheese" license.

AntonLee

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »

I wanna get a "Cheese" license.

that cracked me up for some reason

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:41 AM »

I got myself a CB and had a whole lot more fun.  My handle was N1NEJ on Ham and "T-Bone" on CB. . . which sucked because there are like 5,000,000 users calling themselves T-Bone.

You should have used "Gammy" instead.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

AntonLee

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »

I am rather unfit, but I'm working on it.

OneMaster

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »

I got my Novice Class license when I was a kid and haven't used any ham radio equipment for 20+ years.
But I got to thinking... assuming I wish to remain legal and (probably) not harassed by the "authorities", would holding a license help at all?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_licensing_in_the_United_States

Suppose I got an "Amateur Extra Class" license. Is there any AM or FM band on which I would then be legally allowed to transmit?

New member here, but I can answer this one. I was first licensed in '67 and currently hold the Extra. No Amateur license authorizes transmissions on any commercial radio band. Amateur licensees are also prohibited from broadcasting (one-way transmissions), even on frequencies authorized for the Amateur Radio service.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »

FM is a mode, not a band. With an amateur license, you can transmit in AM, FM, SSB, CW, RTTY or any other mode, but can only do so on those bands allocated for amateur use.

Getting the license will require obtaining much useful knowledge on radio operation. BTW, getting a license also is much easier than any time in the past.

If you chose to transmit illegally, then please take care not to become a pain in the ass to others on the airwaves.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:37 AM »

There is a 2 meter repeater out here in So. Cal that is know as the Disney channel. It has consistant traffic with unlicensed users, cursing, music, squashing, and so on. It has been that way for about a decade.

There's a guy in Oklahoma City who repeats a recording 24/7 on CB channel 19: "I got my nightgown on, I got my pretty red panties on, and I'm ready to go to bed"  Been there as long as I can remember, every trucker in the country knows about it.  If the FCC hasn't bothered him I don't know who they would be bothering.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »

There's a guy in Oklahoma City who repeats a recording 24/7 on CB channel 19: "I got my nightgown on, I got my pretty red panties on, and I'm ready to go to bed"  Been there as long as I can remember, every trucker in the country knows about it.  If the FCC hasn't bothered him I don't know who they would be bothering.
Sounds like a public service, to me.
Liberate America!

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »

Sounds like a public service, to me.

Except it's a dude, an old rural dude by the sound of him.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:22:58 AM »

Not, that there's anything wrong with that........
Sounds like he's home steaded channel 19. Breaker; breaker, red panties: over.

Except it's a dude, an old rural dude by the sound of him.
Liberate America!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  "Ham" license?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 33 queries.