Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Episodes & Show Prep
| | | |-+  2011-01-31
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011-01-31  (Read 2619 times)

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

ahasp

• View Profile
Re: 2011-01-31
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »

Ian, this is a quote from the actual research article referenced in the news piece:

"Given the problem of potential unmeasured confounders, it is not possible to assert causality between CP [capital punishment] and child aggression in observational studies such as this."

emphasis mine

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »

Thats because children who receive Capital Punishment are Dead,   and thus, are not able to become more aggressive. :lol:

Graey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »

Obviously I'm a little behind on my podcast listening, but I wanted to comment on the friend of Ian's (I think, but it may have been Mark) who claimed to have stood outside of a grocery store, asked 100 women for sex, and had two of them accept. (Forgive me if I got the details wrong.) While I don't know that it didn't happen, I feel confident saying it probably didn't. That one's been floating around the internet for at least 15-ish years. Usually it's a college campus, but the 2% is still there. Had that actually happened, I imagine many women would have slapped him and the store manager would have asked him to leave and then called the police, if not in reverse order.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on that one unimportant detail. Keep up the great work. I really enjoy the show.

- Bill

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »

Obviously I'm a little behind on my podcast listening, but I wanted to comment on the friend of Ian's (I think, but it may have been Mark) who claimed to have stood outside of a grocery store, asked 100 women for sex, and had two of them accept. (Forgive me if I got the details wrong.) While I don't know that it didn't happen, I feel confident saying it probably didn't. That one's been floating around the internet for at least 15-ish years. Usually it's a college campus, but the 2% is still there. Had that actually happened, I imagine many women would have slapped him and the store manager would have asked him to leave and then called the police, if not in reverse order.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on that one unimportant detail. Keep up the great work. I really enjoy the show.

- Bill

Graey-

It was me, but the situation was even more convoluted. The story was told to me more than 20 years ago by a guy I knew that was a few decades older than me. I certainly believed it at the time, but I have since grown wiser. It is either a good story with a lesson or an allegory with a good lesson. That is my thought on it these days.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »

Couldnt find anything on snopes.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  Episodes & Show Prep
| | | |-+  2011-01-31

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.