Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Preferences

Poll

A genie (or angel, or alien, or scientist from the future) appears before you and says you are the "Chosen One", but you have to decide how your destiny will play out

You are granted the political power to establish world-wide freedom, but you will be hated and despised your whole life
- 6 (50%)
You are granted the ability to create beneficial world-changing technologies, but all of your accomplishments will be attributed to someone else
- 5 (41.7%)
You are granted universal popularity, and will be remembered favorably in history books, but will have made no real contribution to the world
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferences  (Read 305301 times)

cavalier973

• You can't take the sky from me
    • View Profile
Preferences
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »

Suppose you are approached by a mysterious figure who offers you a chance for greatness...
For God and Free Trade

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Preferences
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »

I think if I had the power to force freedom on everyone, I would do it. Wouldn't even have to be persuasive political power either......just brute force (just for me and me alone) would be fine. Wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad about it either, no matter how much everyone hated me. That also includes peoples freedom to form little communes with each other and create their own set of rules within said commune. Once they tried forcing someone into, or staying in the commune though, that's where id step in with my giant axe and start lopping off heads.

Yeah, that would be nice.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:22:27 PM by Turd Ferguson »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:42 AM »

I'm going to cry "false premise." You cannot give away freedom (because it will be unappreciated and forfeited by most, and you cannot force them to be free, because that's not freedom), and I'm not interested in the other two alternatives.

That said, I hold out hope that humankind matures to appreciate freedom and guard it vigorously.

I think if I had the power to force freedom on everyone, I would do it. Wouldn't even have to be persuasive political power either......just brute force (just for me and me alone) would be fine. Wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad about it either, no matter how much everyone hated me. That also includes peoples freedom to form little communes with each other and create their own set of rules within said commune. Once they tried forcing someone into, or staying in the commune though, that's where id step in with my giant axe and start lopping of heads.

Yeah, that would be nice.

Don't you think if you had total freedom, and it was only you who had it, that you would become a tyrant? I'm thinking, of course, of "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I think I mentioned before that I didn't really want to be an admin on this site, for this reason. Fortunately, because the site's been so dead, it really hasn't been an issue. I haven't found myself being a "tyrant" because there really hasn't been any tyranny to conduct (and really, no benefit to tyranny.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:42:21 AM by Cognitive Dissident »

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:51:16 AM »

I think its possible, yeah. Knowing myself though, I think its safe to say I wouldn't be corrupted.

I just want people to be free to do whatever, as long as it doesn't involve direct physical harm or force being applied to someone else.

I think I'd be a pretty good benevolent dictator.

CertainQuirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »

Suppose you are approached by a mysterious figure who offers you a chance for greatness...

Likely a CIA agent (or DHS, TSA, FBI, DEA, etc.). Tread carefully.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »

The choices seem fairly loaded. The first one, for instance, seems to call for a tremendous personal sacrifice compared to the second one. "Hated and despised"... by everyone? By the general public who doesn't know me personally? My gut response is to say "fuck that". Sounds like I might even have to fear for my life. If it were just like the 2nd, I'd pick it without a thought, i.e. You achieve tremendous freedom for the world but get no credit for it. Presumably I'd get to enjoy that freedom for myself as well. No downside, really. But I'm no altruist. I'm not going to throw myself onto the altar of freedom to be sacrificed for you guys.

So I picked the 2nd one. Next best thing. Just wouldn't get credit. Once again, presumably there would be new technologies in the world that I could also benefit from. I think the point is that I would like those things more than the associated praise that might come from achieving them but I feel your first answer in particular is really loaded and/or too ambiguous.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »

The result of the first one is far superior in my opinion because substantial freedom would almost certainly result in a rapid advancement of new technologies. Government have most certainly suppressed advancements. I just am not a fan of the personal price it demands as worded.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »

The first one, for instance, seems to call for a tremendous personal sacrifice compared to the second one. "Hated and despised"... by everyone? By the general public who doesn't know me personally? My gut response is to say "fuck that".

For me, the trade off would be worth it. The negative aspect of being hated by everyone would be balanced by the fact that I got to see all the control freaks of the world writhing, kicking and screaming because they could no longer control other people.

I'm sick like that.

ElGuapo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »

If I didn't already have the ability to create the world-changing technologies, then why would I be deserving of any recognition for acting as a conduit for some mysterious character to make the world a better place through technological innovation? I would definitely take the front row seat for the creation of a better world - that would be a blast!

libman.org

• irrepressible
    • View Profile
    • Tent City Movement
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

No one can hurt me more than I hurt myself...  (so #3 is out)

Might as well give people freedom (#1), which would foster an ideal environment for advancement of technology as well.  Technology without individual freedom is very dangerous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Preferences

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 37 queries.